Justin Bieber dragged for wearing a durag

COOOK

Featured Posts

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
js4754394o9823
56 minutes ago, PartySick said:

All that's true. So why are we mad at the white guy who gets away with it and not the people who make it a problem for POC when they wear what they want? It makes no sense :smh:

Y'all wanna be mad at the people who don't experience issues rather than taking on the people who create issues for others.

It does make sense, you just have a hard time understanding it

"Dreadlocks" are not only a part of black culture, but they are religious

White person doesn't have anything to do with them

It's a costume, without any meaning

So wearing them is disrespectful at best

And when you add the fact, that black people are beaing oppressed when they have those hairstyles on

While you as a white person can walk with them freely, without any problem

It's even worst

+not caring about black people's opinion on their stuff is problematic itself

red wine, cheap perfume and a filthy pout

Economy
4 hours ago, Toodamnhighh said:

This is an actual problem and You are part of it. 

Dont compare this problem to the same scope of severity

3 hours ago, PartySick said:

This, I'm assuming

The hell I am :ladyhaha: y'all are the ones caught up in celebrity drama while people are out there fighting and dying for their right to vote, work for a living, and exist in the equality that was promised to them.

Keep arguing about Bieber's hair or what he's wearing, I'm sure that'll stop Jim Crow 2.0, the rise of the American Alt-Right, and the military-like police culture.

I get that social justice and political correctness is in many ppls minds and in many circumstances very much justified

But when celebrities not being sensitive enough (especially ones weve known for years already have never been the best example to society in the first place) becomes a more talked about and bigger issue than the 10s of millions that die annually of world hunger, the wars that media rarely talks about or human trafficking etc... it says something about priorities tbh

skaxboy

I’m latino and I used a dorag in a functional way many many years ago when I had Daddy Yankee-like hairstyle. I used it to keep my hair flat and smooth and could tighten or loosen it. I bought it at Sally’s Beauty Supply and never wore it outside my house or would tuck it under a baseball cap. Guys in my HS would wear them on their own but I always thought they looked cuter with a hat over it or none. I don’t see too many ppl wearing them anymore but I do know it’s a black culture thing. 

NewYorkGirl

Jesus Christ, let this ****ing trash ass loser fade into oblivion already. He’s willfully ignorant and uneducated at this point, no matter how many times this kind of **** is pointed out to him. 

My. Lawyer. Liked. That.

Healed My Heart
1 hour ago, ALGAYDO said:

Not this privileged white boy trying on Black Culture on as a costume yet again :rip: you’d think after the MLK and dreadlocks backlash he’d learn to stop, but maybe he just doesn’t care :air:

This. There's no way he cares at this point.

And I understand JB's cultural appropriation isn't the most critical piece of racism that needs to be tackled, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be called out.

She/her 💗💜💙

JusKeepBreathin
1 hour ago, ALGAYDO said:

The issue here is that when black people do it, it’s seen as “ghetto” and a slew of racially-motivated comments/actions are a carried out. Yet when a white person does it, it’s “cool” and “a unique style” With virtually zero negative impacts.  

I've seen people call Cardi B Ghetto for wearing fur with Gucci.  The problem with this argument is that real racists will label anything a POC does as Ghetto.

Ghetto BTW is originally a Jewish slum.

Labeling everyone who disagrees with you a racist makes the word lose its meaning against people who are real racists. 

You have a different opinion on a fashion choice. I happen to agree with you that Justin should not wear a durag. But to label someone a racist because they do not agree with you is not right. Its almost like the word racist is thrown around on GGD for the purpose of receiving "likes." 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

PropaGaga
3 minutes ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

I've seen people call Cardi B Ghetto for wearing fur with Gucci.  The problem with this argument is that real racists will label anything a POC does as Ghetto.

Ghetto BTW is originally a Jewish slum.

Labeling everyone who disagrees with you a racist makes the word lose its meaning against people who are real racists. 

You have a different opinion on a fashion choice. I happen to agree with you that Justin should not wear a durag. But to label someone a racist because they do not agree with you is not right. Its almost like the word racist is thrown around on GGD for the purpose of receiving "likes." 

A disagreement in itself isn't racist, but the words used and reasoning for why someone might disagree with people calling this behavior out can certainly reveal racist ideals.

Hebi

Uhm is this like an american thing or a twitter thing to overreact at "cultural appropiation"? isn't people allowed to wear what they want (?) :huh:

NCgaga
2 hours ago, Runway said:

Why do your posts often give MAGA vibes 

Because your process of thinking is too simple to realize that not everything is so linear. I’m not maga, not anywhere close. But I do realize when there are actually real issues out there, and then issues that aren’t as much of a problem. I don’t believe in cultural appropriation. Every origin of food, music, clothing, art, is always the combination of another origin of a subject matter. People on this website choose to be outraged at one thing, then turn an eye to other things. I will always call it out, because the world needs less hypocrisy. If it’s easier for your brain to think or insult me as a maga person(even though I’ve never supported anything maga)- then go ahead, that’s your prerogative, and your failure to think outside a box you built for yourself. 

SKANK

Enigma pop star is fun, he wear do-rag for fashion.

It's not a statement as much as just a move of passion.

JusKeepBreathin
42 minutes ago, PropaGaga said:

A disagreement in itself isn't racist, but the words used and reasoning for why someone might disagree with people calling this behavior out can certainly reveal racist ideals.

I agree with you. I don't know that a durag can be considered cultural appropriation like the one member said. I think Justin's last hairstyle was the opitomé of cultural appropriation. The problem I have with him in a durag is that he was unapologetic about his hair style and now seems to rub people's face in it with the durag. I have seen Eminem in a durag and not ever thought once, "cultural appropriation."

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

PropaGaga
29 minutes ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

I agree with you. I don't know that a durag can be considered cultural appropriation like the one member said. I think Justin's last hairstyle was the opitomé of cultural appropriation. The problem I have with him in a durag is that he was unapologetic about his hair style and now seems to rub people's face in it with the durag. I have seen Eminem in a durag and not ever thought once, "cultural appropriation."

That's because Eminem didn't grow up in a Canadian suburb. He grew up in a predominantly black neighborhood and he respects the culture. The thing about cultural appropriation is that it's rooted in ignorance; not knowing the significance of what you are wearing, saying, or doing. Justin's hair or him wearing a durag wouldn't be (as much) a problem if it wasn't so blatantly a look he's trying on and treating like a costume. He can be over this phase tomorrow and act like it never happened, kind of like how Miley went from Bangerz to Younger Now and started talking down on hip-hop. Black people don't have that option. They can have "acceptable" hair styles, wear the same clothes as their white friends, speak as "properly" as ever and be the most whitewashed version of themselves and conform to white ideals in order to be tolerated, but they'll still be black. It's not something that washes away.

I'm not necessarily explaining this to you, but for the people in this thread that think this is no big deal. As I said before, all of this is connected. We live in a society built on white supremacy, so naturally it's going to inform pop culture. It's too deeply ingrained in us for it not to. So for anyone that thinks all the talk is a waste of energy, it really isn't if people are learning from it. It's the little things that create change. People can disagree all they want, but to not respect the discussions about these topics is where it veers into being outright racist.

ProfessionalClown

I ain’t black but the only time I’ve ever worn one was when a black family member gave me one to train my hair back when I was like 6. 

Mustin is using it as a fashion accessory. Like sis that...

Archived