Chromatica out now

💌 monthly fan mail 💌
society

18% Of EV Drivers Switched Back To Gasoline Cars (California)

Economy

Featured Posts

Economy

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/18-Of-EV-Drivers-In-California-Switched-Back-To-Gasoline-Cars.amp.html

Nearly 1 in 5 (18% to he exact) of electric vehicle drivers that bought one between 2012 and 2018 ditched EVs back to gasoline cars citing charging time hassle as the main reason

Given charging times are improving however this may be an obstacle that will soon deter fewer people

• Shook 1
Kadikaado

One thing I don't get is: why electric cars are considered ecofriendly if the electric energy in the USA comes from fossile fuel being burned? Isn't it polluting the same way with extra steps? Here in Brazil energy is mostly obtained through hydroelectric plants, so it makes sense here, but if you are burning coal or gasoline makes no difference. Please enlighten me.

I am authistic, so don't be offended if I make a mess sometimes.
  • Like 9
21 minutes ago, Kadikaado said:

One thing I don't get is: why electric cars are considered ecofriendly if the electric energy in the USA comes from fossile fuel being burned? Isn't it polluting the same way with extra steps? Here in Brazil energy is mostly obtained through hydroelectric plants, so it makes sense here, but if you are burning coal or gasoline makes no difference. Please enlighten me.

We are quickly moving towards renewables as the price of these technologies get cheaper and cheaper. Coal is dying, and soon it will be a thing of the past. The idea is that if we get everyone on EV's before or during that crossover, it'll make that impact that much higher. If we wait on renewables before EV's, we risk delaying things for decades longer.

Purr more, hiss less.
  • Like 2
Kadikaado
1 minute ago, FATCAT said:

We are quickly moving towards renewables as the price of these technologies get cheaper and cheaper. Coal is dying, and soon it will be a thing of the past. The idea is that if we get everyone on EV's before or during that crossover, it'll make that impact that much higher. If we wait on renewables before EV's, we risk delaying things for decades longer.

I read a little after that comment and I just learned the carbon footprint of both vehicles are the same, if you want to start saving CO2 you need to run your electric car for 100.000km before it starts being actually eco-friendly, if you recharge your car with renewable electric energy it starts being ecologic at 30.000km.

The motor of the car needs some rare metals like lithium and cobalt that are extracted in countries like Bolivia, Argentina and Congo, their extraction is highly poluent and infringes several human rights.

A better solution is starting to offer public transportion with electric buses.

But yes, I agree with everything you say.

I am authistic, so don't be offended if I make a mess sometimes.
  • Like 2
On 5/3/2021 at 12:56 PM, FATCAT said:

On 5/3/2021 at 1:04 PM, Kadikaado said:

I read a little after that comment and I just learned the carbon footprint of both vehicles are the same, if you want to start saving CO2 you need to run your electric car for 100.000km before it starts being actually eco-friendly, if you recharge your car with renewable electric energy it starts being ecologic at 30.000km.

The motor of the car needs some rare metals like lithium and cobalt that are extracted in countries like Bolivia, Argentina and Congo, their extraction is highly poluent and infringes several human rights.

A better solution is starting to offer public transportion with electric buses.

But yes, I agree with everything you say.

Evs will be preferable to ICE cars especially after grid goes green but they are definitely not as carbon neutral as some proponents try to sell them as

Cars are also not as big a portion of greenhouse gas emissions as many ppl think. Farming practices alone are more responsible for global warming than todays modern cars not to mention Sea Traffic and Heavy Duty Industrial factories in industries such as steel and cement

Its a step in the right direction but its not gonna be this huge global warming reducer many in their minds make it out to be unfortunately

Edited by Economy
Added examples
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, bionic said:

Make public transport inexpensive and efficient challenge

Tbh... cost wise where i live its still cheaper than owning a car but its definitely not practicle or fast enough for further distances

I can wake up at 6:15 and leave house by 6:30am to start work at 7...

Id have to wake up 5:15 to 5:30 latest if i was to rely on bus... that extra hour sleep sacrafice is too much... its gotta be faster and more efficient if they expect everyone to rely on it

• Like 1
On 5/3/2021 at 9:27 AM, Economy said:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/18-Of-EV-Drivers-In-California-Switched-Back-To-Gasoline-Cars.amp.html

Nearly 1 in 5 (18% to he exact) of electric vehicle drivers that bought one between 2012 and 2018 ditched EVs back to gasoline cars citing charging time hassle as the main reason

Given charging times are improving however this may be an obstacle that will soon deter fewer people

Time issues are why ... charging stations are often in weird places ... 'free' ones are sometimes located in 'pay; lots ... i.e. you have to pay for parking while you get your 'free' charge ...

If you travel with one you have to stop for an hour or so to recharge before you can go more than the maximum range ...

most people can afford to have a gas vehicle for traveling and an EV for commuting ...

Its more of a lifestyle issue than anything .... 

EV's need to have a better infrastructure and faster charge times to really replace gas ones.

like a cat in a sil, I observe life, moving and still. My words give a clue,look inside to see whats true
  • Like 1
23 hours ago, Economy said:

Cars are also not as big a portion of greenhouse gas emissions as many ppl think. Farming practices alone are more responsible for global warming than todays modern cars

Cars don't emit that much individually....true ...

Mass quantity of low emission gas engines adds up day after day after day after day....

plus ... the refining process for said fuel require a lot of heat ... i.e. greenhouse gasses being emitted ...

Reducing the 'dependence' on fossil fuels for energy is the main way to lower emission imo ..

not just transportation .. but all aspects of the economy...

many things we uses everyday ... 'plastics' 'food'  'clothing'  'transportation' are all add up to greenhouse emitting energy being used ...

change this and the global environment will be helped.

like a cat in a sil, I observe life, moving and still. My words give a clue,look inside to see whats true
TimisaMonster

Yeah...even when I was thinking of buying an electric car...my friends argued about the charge times and also not being able to find a charge station if in the middle of nowhere...

Stream my new single🔹️"Sapphire Phoenix"🔹️on Spotify!

The correct spin on this, IMHO, is "82% of EV drivers stick with EVs when they change cars." That's actually a pretty impressive recommendation for the EV driving experience, especially given that there are (for now) so many more non-EV models to choose from, they're cheaper on average, etc. There are a bunch of barriers to continuing with EVs, but in most cases -- among those who've actually tried them -- the EVs still win.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, TimisaMonster said:

Yeah...even when I was thinking of buying an electric car...my friends argued about the charge times and also not being able to find a charge station if in the middle of nowhere...

The key thing to understand about these issues is: The vast majority of the time, the vast majority of EV users charge at home (or, in some cases, at work). So, the charging time doesn't matter -- you just plug in and leave -- and the stations don't matter -- you don't use them, except maybe for rare road trips. This does mean that charging can be a problem for people who can't set up their own stations and don't have any supplied for them, like many apartment dwellers, who probably make up a lot of that 18%. But even this is something that can be overcome, e.g. by legislation requiring the installation of charging points in new construction. (Really, you only need a regular electrical outlet near the car.)

On 5/3/2021 at 12:33 PM, Kadikaado said:

One thing I don't get is: why electric cars are considered ecofriendly if the electric energy in the USA comes from fossile fuel being burned? Isn't it polluting the same way with extra steps?

It's not, actually. EVs are far more efficient than ICE (internal combustion engine) cars. Check out the "MPGe" (miles per gallon equivalent) numbers for an EV, and you'll see that they're in the 100+ range. That means that, even when the power is generated by fossil fuels, an EV is using only a fraction of the fuel to cover the same distance. Generating the power from renewables just makes that equation even better.

map-EV-mpg-2016.jpg

https://blog.ucsusa.org/dave-reichmuth/new-data-show-electric-vehicles-continue-to-get-cleaner

• Like 1
Fan Favorite

Auto manufacturers really need to start making attractive models though. I want my next car to be an EV, but the options are so ugly. Including Tesla. Some of the details just seem so unfinished.