science

Researchers found Egyptian mummy was a actually a pregnant woman

Featured Posts

FfFfFfFF
Posted (edited)

608bdf4334af8d001859a151?width=1000&form

Polish researchers examining an ancient Egyptian mummy that they expected to be a male priest were surprised when X-rays and computer tests revealed instead that it was a mummy of a woman who had been seven months pregnant.

The researchers said on Thursday it was the world’s first known case of such a well-preserved ancient mummy of a pregnant woman.

1500.jpg?width=1200&height=900&quality=85&auto=format&fit=crop&s=d6db1f68f34f9b13990cb36f0c41735fpregnant-1.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=400

“Our first surprise was that it has no penis, but instead it has breasts and long hair, and then we found out that it’s a pregnant woman,” Marzena Ozarek-Szilke, an anthropologist and archeologist, told the Associated Press. “When we saw the little foot and then the little hand [of the foetus] we were really shocked.”

The researchers estimated the woman was between 20 and 30 years old and said the size of the baby’s skull suggested she was 26 to 28 weeks pregnant.

090ce21fcf2628cef6b487dd2c2695ddResearchers-Shocked-to-Discover-Worlds-First-Pregnant-Egyptian-Mummy.jpeg?fit=976,648&ssl=1

Their findings – from the Warsaw Mummy Project, a study of mummies at the Polish capital’s national museum – were published this week in the Journal of Archaeological Science.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/29/researchers-shocked-to-find-egyptian-mummy-was-a-pregnant-woman

Edited by FfFfFfFF
►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Like 2
  • Shook 5
Stupid Oreo

do these things stink

how do you piss lady gaga off? poke her face
  • Thanks 1
FfFfFfFF
5 minutes ago, Stupid Oreo said:

do these things stink

giphy.gif

I actually don't know but here is what I found: :enigma:

Spoiler

Generally, most mummies smell 'musty'. Usually by the time we have found them all of the lovely scents that might have come from the incense, perfumes, and oils used in the mummification process have faded away. Although some mummies might still smell a bit 'incense-y'. :)

A mummy will not normally smell like other 'dead' things smell, this is because the internal organs are removed (which are the biggest factors in the decay process) and replaced with natron (which dries them out, preventing 'proper' decay). The rest of the body is also dried using natron, usually a process that lasts up to 40 days!

Once the body is dried, it is washed and oiled (so it's nice and clean and smells pretty). Then all of the (now dried) internal organs are wrapped up and returned to their place... and other dry materials make up the bulk of the body; think sawdust. [In the early days of mummification the organs were placed in canopic jars, but as the tradition progressed the methods changed and often the organs were returned to the bodies.] After this, the body is coated in nice smelling oils and perfumes. The body is then wrapped with linen strips and coated with resin (usually pine) after each layer to help it all stick together - this step is what we typically think of when we think of mummies. Once this is complete the mummy is wrapped in a single linen cloth, and then other canvas cloth that is fixed with strips of linen. And then it's put in a coffin... and then that gets put in another coffin/sarcophagus which is then buried.

https://www.quora.com/What-do-mummies-smell-like

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Like 10
  • Shook 4
Serial Chiller

Ugh imagine just about to become a mummy but become a mummy instead. :giveup:

• LMAO 20
Candy Gaga
1 hour ago, Stupid Oreo said:

do these things stink

I'm from Egypt and I can tell you they don't

They smell a bit weird but somehow they found a secret to preserve their bodies and not make it completely rot which is still a huge mystery and researchers here have been trying to figure how they did that for the longest 

• Like 5
Stupid Oreo
5 minutes ago, Candy Gaga said:

They smell a bit weird but somehow they found a secret to preserve their bodies and not make it completely rot which is still a huge mystery and researchers here have been trying to figure how they did that for the longest 

gorl did you really sniff mummies:air:

how do you piss lady gaga off? poke her face
  • LMAO 10
Candy Gaga
1 hour ago, Stupid Oreo said:

gorl did you really sniff mummies:air:

Not sniff :sharon:

It's our culture you know so I know about stuff nnnnn

• Like 3
Sneaky Oliver

We should stop burying ourselves and start get mummified again. F*ck you medieval europe! 

i love you lots like polka-dots
PunkTheFunk

The mummy 3000 years ago:

• LMAO 5
  • YAAAS 1
milam
4 hours ago, Candy Gaga said:

since you're from egypt, is it the same scent that's in the tomb? i remember going down and sensing something...dusty (?) this is so disrespectful omg

Healed My Heart
5 hours ago, Serial Chiller said:

Ugh imagine just about to become a mummy but become a mummy instead. :giveup:

:air:

She / her
Regina George

I wonder why she died so young. Such a sad situation. And even tho they were taking out their organs to preserve the body, they didn’t touch the baby. :bradley:

• Like 1
Regina George
2 hours ago, Sneaky Oliver said:

We should stop burying ourselves and start get mummified again. F*ck you medieval europe! 

You do know that not everyone was mummified even back then? Rich people and some middle class people were mummified, others were literally thrown in huge family graves.. 

• Like 2
  • YAAAS 1
  • Thanks 1
Sneaky Oliver
1 minute ago, Regina George said:

You do know that not everyone was mummified even back then? Rich people and some middle class people were mummified, others were literally thrown in huge family graves.. 

so let’s all become mummies from now on :zilla:

i love you lots like polka-dots
Regina George
1 minute ago, Sneaky Oliver said:

so let’s all become mummies from now on :zilla:

I’d be here for it honestly... Also IDK why (it’s not like I’d be there to see it) but I have this weird fear of someone who I don’t know seeing my dead body naked and preparing me to be buried. :billie:

• Thanks 1