Moonlight on Water

What if it's not Lil Nas but his team that did this

she/her

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oriane
17 minutes ago, Why am I on GGD said:

The fact that they tried to hire Cellophane's director speaks volumes tho. They wanted to use the concept, but when they were denied permission they did it anyway. That's not a great way of doing business.

The least they could've done is giving credit for their inspiration, as it was obviously a direct reference.

Yes, I think it's obvious they got inspiration from that. But then, I don't think it's really a common practice to credit every inspiration/reference you're making when creating art, maybe you're going to mention it in interviews, explanations etc, but I couldn't see anyone actually placing it in the credits or in announcements. If they deny the inspiration though, that's ridiculous.

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

alsemanche

I said this on the Montero thread yesterday. It's clearly the same concept and same execution. And the fact that they contacted Andrew then didn't actually hire him but stole his concepts makes it even more obvious. 

You can stan Lil Nas X and still criticize him, it's really not that complicated. They f*cked up by doing this, and no one can deny that it's a ripoff. The receipts are right there. It's more than pole dancing or descending to hell. It's literally the same frames almost and the same ideas repeated. 

Is Lil Nas' video cool? For sure. But is it fine to steal ideas for the sake of making a cool video? Not at all. Give credit at the very least. 

Soft, soothing, and succulent

alsemanche

This is sending me (for context: cellophane was written after twigs broke up with Pattinson) 

Head Empty
3 minutes ago, Oriane said:

Yes, I think it's obvious they got inspiration from that. But then, I don't think it's really a common practice to credit every inspiration/reference you're making when creating art, maybe you're going to mention it in interviews, explanations etc, but I couldn't see anyone actually placing it in the credits or in announcements. If they deny the inspiration though, that's ridiculous.

It's not that hard though. For a direct reference like this, giving credits at the end of the video or even in the description box would be fine. Or even something like this, right at the start of the video, doesn't bother anyone:

Of course you don't have to do it for every little reference. Creative referencing drives most art, and when its done in a tasteful, transformative way it's fine. But the poledancing scene is almost a direct copy, and they obviously wanted to use the directors original concept. It deserves the credit.

Happiness will never last, darkness comes to kick your ass... ‎ ᵃˢˢ 🕺

littlepotter
55 minutes ago, Adarsh said:

And then Bjork fans would’ve dragged Gaga for copying her. Her makeup artist is already a well known OGH 

Who?

chaeri pls

alsemanche
1 minute ago, littlepotter said:

Who?

Hungry 

Vitleysingur

What a loser... I bet that he has seen twigs’ video:smh:

Dreams of you and me are in the dirt.

littlepotter

Threads like this really make me lose faith in everything :bear: it's either people insulting the andrew guy or people insulting lil nas like the gentleman above me. It's possible to not be assholes to people when it's not necessary i promise

chaeri pls

Vitleysingur
8 minutes ago, littlepotter said:

Threads like this really make me lose faith in everything :bear: it's either people insulting the andrew guy or people insulting lil nas like the gentleman above me. It's possible to not be assholes to people when it's not necessary i promise

Zero tolerance for unapologetic plagiarists:heart:

Dreams of you and me are in the dirt.

littlepotter
15 minutes ago, Vitleysingur said:

Zero tolerance for unapologetic plagiarists:heart:

Calm down Madonna

chaeri pls

Y'all are funny 

First you act like the director is the only one doing literally everything and well... No. There are producers, screenwriters (yes even for music videos)... So please I am so done with people acting like the director is doing everything because this is so disrespectful 

Second, this is not plagiarism. There is a big difference between 

A perfect copy of something (protected)

And an inspiration on a concept (not that protected)

Sure your ego will be hurt but on abstract concepts like this one, it's happening everytime.

Third, they might have had this idea of Lil descending to hell but wanted something a bit b*tchy to do it. And the pole was their way of doing it 

The guy doesn't have the property on hell/heaven and pôle dance.

Oh and also we don't Know why or even if the guy was really contacted

alsemanche
9 minutes ago, Eido said:

Y'all are funny 

First you act like the director is the only one doing literally everything and well... No. There are producers, screenwriters (yes even for music videos)... So please I am so done with people acting like the director is doing everything because this is so disrespectful 

Second, this is not plagiarism. There is a big difference between 

A perfect copy of something (protected)

And an inspiration on a concept (not that protected)

Sure your ego will be hurt but on abstract concepts like this one, it's happening everytime.

Third, they might have had this idea of Lil descending to hell but wanted something a bit b*tchy to do it. And the pole was their way of doing it 

The guy doesn't have the property on hell/heaven and pôle dance.

Oh and also we don't Know why or even if the guy was really contacted

The length y'all go to discredit something that's literally right in front of you is truly amazing 

Archived