• Last Reply
TSUNAMI
6 hours ago, Aphasic Top said:

Latin vs Latino/Latina

Latin is a language

Latino/Latina is an ethnicity

Oh, thank you! 

JusKeepBreathin

I was going to defend Lana, but then I read that she only took the stage name because she has Cuban friends in Miami and liked the way it sounded. She lifted it off a Ford car that is only sold in Brazil. The Ford Del Rey:ladyhaha:

If that is true, (Is it true?) it's kinda the definition of cultural appropriation. The name means nothing to her personally. She liked it because it sounded latin. 

Who was that lady that GGD scalpted and burned on a poll because she changed her name to a Latin name because she thought she was Spanish or Italian or something? It was some rich guys wife. 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

LilyLark
1 hour ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

I was going to defend Lana, but then I read that she only took the stage name because she has Cuban friends in Miami and liked the way it sounded. She lifted it off a Ford car that is only sold in Brazil. The Ford Del Rey:ladyhaha:

If that is true, (Is it true?) it's kinda the definition of cultural appropriation. The name means nothing to her personally. She liked it because it sounded latin. 

Who was that lady that GGD scalpted and burned on a poll because she changed her name to a Latin name because she thought she was Spanish or Italian or something? It was some rich guys wife. 

Oh yikes. I like Lana, but I didn't know that was the origin....that does come across as appropriation

That said, in her defense she's never pretended to be Latina & there's a lot of ridiculousness in the US where people seem to conflate any Spanish or Portuguese language/name/etc. with Latinidad (still laughing at the journalists who kept saying Penelope Cruz was Latina of all things). I've seen people accuse Rosalia of pretending to be Latina simply because of her name & the fact that she works with a lot of Latin artists, when she has very specifically said she's not Latina.

Bambino
10 hours ago, La Rosalia said:

Oh, of course it was a thread from you. At least you didn’t take a jab at her looks this time. 

Omg you so funny and shady how come queen.

Bambino
2 hours ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

Hilaria Baldwin?

Sneaky Oliver
3 hours ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

First of all, it’s not from the car. It’s from Marina Del Rey

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSrs03Cxg1QwAdzwkbK5d

Just because a friend from Cuba told her that Lana Del Rey sounds cool, it doesn’t mean she’s appropriating Cuba’s culture because the name has nothing to do with Cuba just to begin with. Im sorry but trying to be so shady and hateful towards Lana for every single little thing about her is starting to sound tiring and ridiculous.

Honestly Gaga herself has done way more problematic stuff than Lana but you guys insist that she’s problematic for some reason. :saladga:

I’m on my Legacy Act era

21 hours ago, Cookie Tookie said:

When did she ever claim she was Latina? SJWism is such a cultural cancer. 

They need to be ignored from now on

If Lana was black everyone would leave her alone and praise her. So hypocrite these americans. They want to see Lana as a Karen so bad so they can be outraged about something new. Newsflash, not every white person is racist

Andreu

Picking a name from another language is not cultural apropriation come on :rip: Is Lady Gaga apropriating german culture when she uses the word Haus?

RudraCNG

Omg so all this was because of her stage name? Lol guys, you do know that Spanish language is not exclusive of (nor original from) Latin America, right? :smh:

And, as other users pointed out, using a language is not cultural apropiation ffs.

mightyriverz
1 hour ago, Andreu said:

Picking a name from another language is not cultural apropriation come on :rip: Is Lady Gaga apropriating german culture when she uses the word Haus?

to be honest this made as much sense as saying that black women appropriate "white culture" by straightening their hairs, i mean... :saladga:

vyniildisk
2 hours ago, KanyeWest said:

If Lana was black everyone would leave her alone and praise her. So hypocrite these americans. They want to see Lana as a Karen so bad so they can be outraged about something new. Newsflash, not every white person is racist

say it louder queen! 

i agree 100%. 

Savage

I consider myself very liberal, but the things people like to complain about online are making others (and myself sometimes!) numb to real social justice issues and it’s frustrating 

Archived