Watch THE Speech

science

Extinction: Freshwater fish in 'catastrophic' decline

PunkTheFunk

Featured Posts

PunkTheFunk

_117157868_gettyimages-509522936_salmon.jpg

A report has warned of a "catastrophic" decline in freshwater fish, with nearly a third threatened by extinction. Conservation groups said 80 species were known to have gone extinct, 16 in the last year alone. Millions of people rely on freshwater fish for food and as a source of income through angling and the pet trade.

But numbers have plummeted due to pressures including pollution, unsustainable fishing, and the damming and draining of rivers and wetlands. The report said populations of migratory fish have fallen by three-quarters in the last 50 years. Over the same time period, populations of larger species, known as "megafish", have crashed by 94%.

The report, The World's Forgotten Fishes, is by 16 conservation groups, including WWF, the London Zoological Society (ZSL), Global Wildlife Conservation and The Nature Conservancy.

_117157871_gettyimages-163607412_rio.jpg

In UK waters, the sturgeon and the burbot have vanished, salmon are disappearing and the European eel remains critically endangered.

According to the WWF, much of the decline is driven by the poor state of rivers, mostly as a result of pollution, dams and sewage.

It has called on the government to restore freshwater habitats to good health through proper enforcement of existing laws, strengthening protections in the Environment Bill and championing a strong set of global targets for the recovery of nature.

Dave Tickner, from WWF, said freshwater habitats are some of the most vibrant on earth, but - as this report shows - they are in catastrophic decline around the world.

"Nature is in freefall and the UK is no exception: wildlife struggles to survive, let alone thrive, in our polluted waters," said the organisation's chief adviser on freshwater.

"If we are to take this government's environmental promises seriously, it must get its act together, clean up our rivers and restore our freshwater habitats to good health. "

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-56160756

• Like 1
  • Shook 1
  • Sad 8
TimisaMonster
7 minutes ago, PunkTheFunk said:

The fish are dying and no one cares

zxq1pfp4w7841.jpg

I care...but most people here aren't into fishĀ if you know what I mean :billie:

Stream my new single, šŸ’œ"Heartbeat"šŸ’œ, on Spotify!
Cookie Woman
9 minutes ago, PunkTheFunk said:

The fish are dying and no one cares

zxq1pfp4w7841.jpg

Soon only one will be left sitting alone in the VIP

https://youtu.be/IGWz5psncCI
myluis617
18 minutes ago, TimisaMonster said:

I care...but most people here aren't into fishĀ if you know what I mean :billie:

Um vegetarians are trying to argue that their a great replacement for proteins.Ā 

Hyperballad
33 minutes ago, myluis617 said:

Um vegetarians are trying to argue that their a great replacement for proteins.Ā 

I donā€™t think you got the jokeĀ :air:

• Thanks 1
Nemo
1 hour ago, myluis617 said:

Someone who eats fish is not a vegetarian. Fish are still animals (still vertebrates, even).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
myluis617
23 minutes ago, Nemo said:

Someone who eats fish is not a vegetarian. Fish are still animals (still vertebrates, even).

Vegeterians trying to force a pescetarian diet.Ā :ohwell:

Edited by myluis617
Esteban
2 hours ago, Nemo said:

Yes vegetarian can eat fish, eggs, honey, wear leather... Thats the difference between vegetarian and vegan. Vegetalian is the same as vegan but only for food

kukuryku666
4 hours ago, myluis617 said:

Ā 

12 minutes ago, Esteban said:

Yes vegetarian can eat fish, eggs, honey, wear leather... Thats the difference between vegetarian and vegan. Vegetalian is the same as vegan but only for food

vegetariansĀ don't eat fish.

it's a meat too.

eating only fish is called pescetarianism, or somethingĀ 

*no this comment is not meant to be rude, no i'm not angry. just autistic with no social skills, thanks for understanding :)
Slappy

The difference between fish and animal products is, that fish is not a product but an animalĀ itself.

Ā 

Don't act like there is a consens as to where veganism starts and where vegetarianismĀ stops.

Edited by Slappy
Andreu
12 minutes ago, Esteban said:

no?

Vegetarian people don't eat dead animalsĀ but they eat products that come from animals (so they consume milk and eggs but not fish). Vegan people don't use any products from animal origin.

before there was love there was silence
Esteban
9 minutes ago, Andreu said:

no?

Vegetarian people don't eat dead animalsĀ but they eat products that come from animals (so they consume milk and eggs but not fish). Vegan people don't use any products from animal origin.Ā 

Ā 

11 minutes ago, kukuryku666 said:

Ā 

vegetariansĀ don't eat fish.

it's a meat too.

eating only fish is called pescetarianism, or somethingĀ 

You're right, I was thinking about pescetarianism !Ā :saladga: