Rihanna has been accused of cultural appropriation

Teletubby

Featured Posts

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ANTI WP

That's it !!! for me 

i thought you guys will understand our feelings thats why i took a time to explain our heritage :fatcat: looks like you guys won't gaf about our life. ( tbh i expected that )

anyways i might loose my temper if i continue my journey in this thread and good night 

stay safe guys 

Franch Toast
4 minutes ago, ANTI WP said:

That's it !!! for me 

i thought you guys will understand our feelings thats why i took a time to explain our heritage :fatcat: looks like you guys won't gaf about our life. ( tbh i expected that )

anyways i might loose my temper if i continue my journey in this thread and good night 

stay safe guys 

Please know that I get it. :hug:  I'm sorry you are feeling disrespected. 

She/Her/Hers

I know it's unpopular but we need to stop punishing people for exploring cultures. Or at least, stop expecting everyone to have the same knowledge about a specific culture. We cannot expect to become multicultural if we shame people for everything.

I've seen a lot of celebrities post the same copy and paste apology for not 'realizing' or 'knowing' about a symbol or culture and fans going into an uproar. At the end of the day, it's really not their fault, we can't expect everyone to be informed about everything they wear, do, or say.

I bet many GGD members do or have something that is somehow 'culturally inappropriate' in a certain circle. If we want to live in a globalized society, then we should allow others to casually experiment with aspects of culture in any way this wish. 

At the most, Rihanna's display here is a bit tacky or distasteful. But it's not directly offensive and isn't inciting hate - which is where the line should be drawn. Besides, people might enjoy the aesthetic of the symbol and in doing so want to learn about the culture it came from. 

Everyone works at a different pace and we should respect that. 

FentyGa
3 minutes ago, dzox said:

Well judging from the response of this thread seems like people are right that LMs are filled with racist white gays

it’s a known fact at this point

StarstruckIllusion

I don’t even have the energy to react to this. Imagine wasting your youth on choosing to care about this. Play a video game. FT a friend. Watch a movie. Touch grass w 2 masks on. You won’t regret it on your death bed <3

Quartz

You guys don't have the AUTHORITY to tell anyone of a particular culture how to feel. If a straight man misgenders Sam Smith, y'all be the first to drag him. Why? Because we all know it's a big thing for Sam to have their identity respected.

How is this any different? IT'S NOT. 

Actual Hindus already went in this thread to tell you that it offends them. It doesn't matter if you understand it fully or not. The KIND thing to do is listen to their side and consider their perspective. Not ya'll Westerners thinking you know BETTER than a person who lives the culture. Sick.

Inside, we are really made the same. 🕊

Regina George

I don’t see this as problematic BUT Indian people that actually need to be asked about this clearly see this as problematic. She is well known for appropriating a lot of different cultures in the past like asian culture, arab culture,... If this was some other singer I’m sure they’d get the “hate” but double standards I guess

VOLANTIS

Before you jump into the thread defending appropriation, ask yourself this.

Are you of the race / culture / religion that is being appropriated?

A) Yes? Your opinion on the issue matters. 

B) No? Keep your opinion to yourself and don't impose on the above group how they should or should not be offended. 

Thank You. 

I'll lift you 3 inches off the ground and drag you to a meter and a half

Bonkers

"My religion" does not mean I own the rights to how it's used.  History, including the art generated by religious history is a the property of humanity and people who are offended by someone being drawn to art they like can frankly go f*ck themselves.  I'm tired of people mistaking being an offended little victim for a personality.

"My country" does not mean I own the rights to it's intellectual property.  Etc Etc.

:bye:

Remember to like and subscribe, and click on the bell icon to get the latest updates

Quartz
6 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

"My religion" does not mean I own the rights to how it's used.  History, including the art generated by religious history is a the property of humanity and people who are offended by someone being drawn to art they like can frankly go f*ck themselves.  I'm tired of people mistaking being an offended little victim for a personality.

"My country" does not mean I own the rights to it's intellectual property.  Etc Etc.

:bye:

Are you Hindu?

Bonkers
5 minutes ago, Quartz said:

Are you a Hindi?

Hinduism has come to all 4 corners of the earth.  Just like Christianity, islam and every other major religion.  It's thousands of years old.

Like all religions, the people who created them, and the art they inspired wanted and intended for them to be shared and spread as widely as possible. All are welcome.  There are a billion hindus on earth right now, it's not too sacred for everyone to enjoy the artistic and cultural contributions to humanity - that were given as gifts to us all. ALL.  

Remember to like and subscribe, and click on the bell icon to get the latest updates

Quartz
2 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

Hinduism has come to all 4 corners of the earth.  Just like Christianity, islam and every other major religion.  It's thousands of years old.

Like all religions, the people who created them, and the art they inspired wanted and intended for them to be shared and spread as widely as possible. All are welcome.  There are a billion hindus on earth right now, it's not too sacred for everyone to enjoy the artistic and cultural contributions to humanity - that were given as gifts to us all. ALL.  

Again, are you Hindu? 

• PartySick locked this topic

Archived