💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Black actress as queen of England

Kapi09

Featured Posts

vyniildisk
9 minutes ago, Gabi001 said:

but why is it okey to do it other way around? 

judging by the replies on this thread, maybe it's okay because they did not have enough representation in the past and now directors, studios are giving them an oportunity to catch up

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sepsami
1 hour ago, NFRatwell said:

The director is a white woman :bear: I just don’t get it because there are plenty of real black stories that go without media representation. Making white historical figures black doesn’t give you real historical representation. Same thing with the Cleopatra movies and representation. 

YES it's like a cheap way to score diversity points :triggered:

The virtue signaling in this casting is so funny, and the fact that some people are falling for it is astonishing to me. The British empire is rooted in racism and colonialism. How is having a black queen gonna change that? It's so hypocritical. There are so many black historical stories worthy of telling, why do this? 

Bradley
1 hour ago, ZiggyZiggs said:

Yea and We will be watching. White people been playing BIPOC roles by painting their skin brown since the dawn of time. You’re going to be fine 

How would you feel if a black actor portrayed Gaga?

If it's supposed to be reimagined and fantastical then I don't see a problem, she can be played by anyone

The only thing weird is if it's supposed to be historical at all because Anne Boleyn was probably at least somewhat racist herself? Given the time period she lived. So it's like erasing racism.. like let's pretend everything was fine and it didn't exist..

Idk I have to watch and see how they do the story. I hope it's good!

2 hours ago, ZiggyZiggs said:

Yea and We will be watching. White people been playing BIPOC roles by painting their skin brown since the dawn of time. You’re going to be fine 

None is ok actually

edit : also, read the comment right before me, by Ivy. That’s how I feel about the whole thing

We have 103846683557 movies about Anne Boleyn. 

We have so many more interesting, more influential women in history, but we always go back to her and Henry the 8th. Or Elizabeth I. I’m so over the anglocentric take on history in media. 

Also, I don’t care about the race change. Maybe it’ll give this tired ass storyline an edge. 

GagaSine

I see nothing wrong with this, personally I love it when black ppl or other people of colour are cast in historically white roles. It adds a fun new layer of nuance and interpretation.

i don’t watch tv & movies for historical accuracy, I watch them for entertainment & artistry. Since people of colour have less roles available to them than white people and hollywood’s long tradition of having white guys in make up play any race, I see no problem with this whatsoever.

Seems like a weird thing to complain about.

Also the actress is beautiful. :flutter:

1 hour ago, Gabi001 said:

So black Stalin is not a big problem because ethnicity is not an important factor of his life?

What is your obsession with associating black people with dictators? :yennefer:

GagaSine
1 hour ago, Bradley said:

How would you feel if a black actor portrayed Gaga?

That would be super cool actually, especially considering the influences Gaga has like Grace Jones.

y’all seem weirdly obsessed with this. 

GagaSine

This website feeling a bit racebaitdaily today :bear: don’t worry a black person playing a white person isn’t going to evaporate all your white privilege

None of you have heard of Hamilton? Wait til you see the stuff they get up to in theatre, like all women productions of Shakespeare or something that i’m sure is extra terrifying to you guys... a one person show where one person plays every character đŸ˜± that’s not like real life at all!!!!

GagaSine
2 minutes ago, dopega said:

ok but imagine the outrage if they had casted a white woman to portray a real life black woman :billie:

Yeah that was Hollywood even recently, especially egregious when they adapt novels, the black characters also somehow end up white :huh: almost like there is a history of anti blackness and racism or something đŸ€Ș

Archived