💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

How would you feel about Gaga doing MTV Unplugged?

Bebe

Featured Posts

For those that are unfamiliar with MTV Unplugged it's a show in which musical acts perform with, generally, only acoustic instruments. It's a pretty iconic show, some artists release the recordings of the show as an album resulting in #1 singles, #1 albums and Grammy Awards.

It's credited with reviving Tony Bennett's career in the 90's, resulted in an iconic Lauryn Hill album, Nirvana's contained one of Kurt's last televised appearances and resulted in what is now considered on of the greatest albums of all time. 

In the digital age, I don't think it would necessarily have the same impact commercially, but I do think it would make a nice notch under Gaga's belt and could result in a cool acoustic album as a little "side project". Some of the performances could go on Youtube too.

Miley Cyrus recently did this and it was beautifully shot and recorded:

I think it would be great if she joined up with Brian Newman, did a Jazz reinterpretation of some of her hits (which has worked well for her previously) and thrown in some standards too. It could even work nicely as her first solo "jazz" album.

TSUNAMI

IDK why but reading this one idea poped in my head. 

Gaga ft. Tony Bennett - Starstruck 

Tony doing SpaceCowboy vocals :ally:

Nathaniel Arven
Just now, TSUNAMI said:

IDK why but reading this one idea poped in my head. 

Gaga ft. Tony Bennett - Starstruck 

Tony doing SpaceCowboy vocals :ally:

Tony Bennett play that track... Gaga unplugged room....:ladyhaha::ladyhaha::ladyhaha: 

TSUNAMI
7 minutes ago, Nathaniel Arven said:

Tony Bennett play that track... Gaga unplugged room....:ladyhaha::ladyhaha::ladyhaha: 

So starstruck, cherry cherry boom boom. 

It's a classic. 

Quartz

Yes, five years ago. Seems like she is so above that now. I just feel like that.

Inside, we are really made the same. 🕊

RAMROD

Yes.

But she will also segway into a song by talking about how her lipliner makes her feels like a superstar that her aunt Joanne aspire to be, and that the lipliner in question was from Haus Labs. #bidnizzwoman :ally:

My fave unplugged are  The Corrs, Shakira, Alicia Keys, Alanis, Lauryn Hill, Utada Hikaru, Jay-Z, and Nirvana

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Helxig

I'd love to see a set like Mileys, promoting Chromatica with acoustic versions of the songs on nice sets

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.

1 hour ago, Quartz said:

Yes, five years ago. Seems like she is so above that now. I just feel like that.

I mean if that's your opinion, that's fine.

I just like the idea that Paul McCartney, Nirvana, Adele, Jay Z, Elton John are these D-List stars or something in comparison to Gaga :rip:

I think it depends on how much the event would actually be promoted, and if there is an accompanying album, it could be promoted heavily.

I think if it was a properly promoted event by MTV, advertising it in a way similar to how it advertises the VMA's with the glimpses of it's iconic performances, and promoting it as the return of MTV Unplugged it would be great. When accompanied by an Unplugged album of the recordings for Interscope and her management team to promote it could be a relatively 'big' event.

There are plenty of magazined, websites and blogs who would jump at the opportunity to reminisce and discuss the cultural events and iconic unplugged performances/albums of the past from Eric Clapton, Nirvana, Lauryn Hill and Pearl Jam to even more current acts like Katy Perry, Adele, Miley Cyrus and Florence and the Machine.

I actually think Gaga is one of the few artists (among artists like Adele, Taylor Swift) that could believable pull off a "Return of MTV Unplugged".

lilboyblue

MTV Unplugged performances when done right can be iconic additions to their discography—Alanis, Eric Clapton, Mariah, Alicia Keys, Nirvana, The Corrs, even Katy Perry. Given, MTV's relevance has waned in the last decade, but put that up on YouTube and it could still become a highlight.

Since a lot of Gaga's songs are upbeat, it would be refreshing to hear unplugged takes on her hits. Was watching the VMAs performance yesterday and even the piano version of Stupid Love sounded amazing.

They can use it as an excuse to properly push ARUTW. :ladyhaha:

9 minutes ago, littleboyblue said:

MTV Unplugged performances when done right can be iconic additions to their discography—Alanis, Eric Clapton, Mariah, Alicia Keys, Nirvana, The Corrs, even Katy Perry. Given, MTV's relevance has waned in the last decade, but put that up on YouTube and it could still become a highlight.

Since a lot of Gaga's songs are upbeat, it would be refreshing to hear unplugged takes on her hits. Was watching the VMAs performance yesterday and even the piano version of Stupid Love sounded amazing.

They can use it as an excuse to properly push ARUTW. :ladyhaha:

This.

As a fan of unplugged as it was, I remember it as being a stamp bigger than even a Superbowl performance. I mean, Mariah got a #1 single, artists got #1 albums and grammy awards from their Unplugged albums. 

MTV has the VMA awards and the Vanguard Award these days to compete with The Super bowl but it is so crowded and there is so much competition. One performance, one fashion moment, one onstage interruption, one booby grab suddenly becomes the snapshot. 

A proper revival of MTV Unplugged with artists releasing the unplugged album afterwards, if it's promoted right and with the right stars, could become their equivalent yet differentiated Superbowl. Instead of having a 15 minute, multi-million dollar produced, theatrical blitz of an artists greatest hits - It's a stripped down hour long concert of the biggest artists of our time.

If the Superbowl is an iconic "stamp" on an artists pop career, showcasing their theatrics, an Unplugged special/album could be an equivalent iconic "stamp" showcasing an artists musicianship.

To reach that level it would have to be promoted HARD as an event but if MTV did make that push and a record label worked hard to market/promote/push the resulting album then it could become a giant event even if it didn't get the viewership of The Superbowl. 

Even if it wasn't at that level - I would die at the chance to get some high quality recordings of some acoustic Gaga performances.

Archived