Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

The Weeknd: "I have three Grammys, which mean nothing to me now"

COOOK

Featured Posts

PawsUpJago

Grammys are trash, but he sounds so salty, I don't see Rina complaining about getting snubbed when her debut album was literally art in one of the biggest debuts in recent memory. It's not a cute look, I also don't get the hype around him personally - Blinding Lights is a total bop of course, but less than a handful of the album is listenable for me tbh. I find his voice so grating, he ruined Off the Table for me 😂

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Loyalty
59 minutes ago, Justin Drew Bieber said:

Shallow losing over This Is America will never make sense to me. Shallow is by far the bigger song and it was the song and record of the year, it’s still getting 1M daily streams on Spotify alone. :nails:

At the time Shallow was fairly new and it was not the smash it’s known to be today. “This is America” definitely deserved record of the year, at least because it resonated with people more in 2018. Nevertheless, “Shallow” has surpassed “This is America” globally, it’s more remembered and has more awards. 

The Weeknd deserved the nominations and the Grammys took a huge punch by delaying the show to March... all that hassle over performances could have been avoided since the Grammys won’t even take place the same week as the Super Bowl. 

Peroxide555
57 minutes ago, Justin Drew Bieber said:

Shallow losing over This Is America will never make sense to me. Shallow is by far the bigger song and it was the song and record of the year, it’s still getting 1M daily streams on Spotify alone. :nails:

I think most people understand why This Is America won...

Bradley
25 minutes ago, Aloe said:

Hmm maybe to me his words of “I have 3 Grammys... worthless now...” sentence kind of gave me the same vibe of Nicki telling everyone how Grammys don’t define her etc but I think it’s always best to stay silent on this if u have a big fan base helping to spread the narrative that u deserved it. Otherwise it’ll just make him seem salty irregardless when he says stuff like this? Just my opinion 

I don't see why if there is a structural issue with the Recording Academy, that only the fans can voice out the narrative. If anything, fans are easily dismissed because of how they're "non-professionals" and supposedly biased in favour of their favourite artists. If someone as influential as The Weeknd backs up this narrative, it lends much more credibility towards the issue. I'm on your side when it comes to singers acting too entitled and often I find it inappropriate when they act like they deserve wins because it suggests their peers winning over them do not.

However, The Weeknd has a case here stronger than other artists who "complained" before like Nicki and Halsey, because Nicki and Halsey did not produce songs or albums that were as critically acclaimed and commercially successful as The Weeknd did. He was voicing over his confusion on his lack of nominations. If you look at what he said:

I felt things. I don’t know if it was sadness or anger. I think it was just confusion. I just wanted answers. Like, ‘What happened?’ We did everything right, I think. I’m not a cocky person. I’m not arrogant. People told me I was going to get nominated. The world told me. Like, ‘This is it; this is your year

This really doesn't read like arrogance or entitlement at all. It reads like genuine confusion and dissatisfaction with how a body as powerful as the Grammys could let that happen.

Bradley
11 minutes ago, PawsUpJago said:

Grammys are trash, but he sounds so salty, I don't see Rina complaining about getting snubbed when her debut album was literally art in one of the biggest debuts in recent memory. It's not a cute look, I also don't get the hype around him personally - Blinding Lights is a total bop of course, but less than a handful of the album is listenable for me tbh. I find his voice so grating, he ruined Off the Table for me 😂

I honestly don't get all this criticism. I actually found his articulation very careful. The Weeknd has never trashed anyone's music or started beefs with anyone (to my memory). How should one voice their confusion and dissatisfaction if what The Weeknd said was inapproriate to you?

Like, what really is the most politically correct way to question an institution like the Grammys?

Togekiss

The Grammys and oscars etc. are literal popularity contests. There are a ton of people who vote who I guarantee you know nothing about music or film but they got a credit on something so they’re a part of the voting body.

It’s still recognition from your peers which is nice but it’s not some kind of authoritative measure of quality.

bring on that pecan pie

PawsUpJago
1 minute ago, Bradley said:

I honestly don't get all this criticism. I actually found his articulation very careful. The Weeknd has never trashed anyone's music or started beefs with anyone (to my memory). How should one voice their confusion and dissatisfaction if what The Weeknd said was inapproriate to you?

Like, what really is the most politically correct way to question an institution like the Grammys?

I just think it's tacky to moan about not getting an award in a public forum. Nothing will change my mind on that. I think maybe make a statement about the state of the Grammys in general if it bothers you and is as clear to you as it is the rest of us, not JUST when it has slighted you. It makes me question the intention of it 

Runway

Love that transparency of “they are meaningless” but at the same time making sure we KNOW he already has 3 of them :toofunny:

djBuffoon

I keep forgetting how young he still is. I'm a big fan of his and he was certainly robbed, but as we've heard many, many legends and seasoned professionals say, if you work on your craft in anticipation of awards, you'll probably end up disappointed. No one is entitled to accolades, it's completely out of your hands.

If I were his manager, I'd advise him to keep the bitter language out and focus on what's actually important: the album is a success that most young and/or struggling musicians would dream of having.

Reality
1 hour ago, Rahrahbitchson said:

We will always be happy whenever gaga is nominated or wins in any award shows because we are fans, i am happy that gaga gets nom or win a grammy but that doesnt change my mind about the grammys considering they lost credibility by snubbing so many great artist and nominate beyonce even for the fart that she thrown when they only heard it at her home and is not something of this year, she always gets the most nominations whenever she release something even when they are more projects that made  more noise

But if the Grammys lose credibility, why care if Gaga gets nominated or wins? You guys can't have it both ways. We can't get excited when our fave gets nominated, but then say "Screw the Grammys, they're overrated. No one cares about them" whenever we don't like something they do.

Look, I'm with Abel on this one. I think the Grammys definitely snubbed him, incorrectly. But I'm not going to go around like, "The Grammys suck. They've lost credibility. They're over." when I know that when Gaga gets nominated next, I'll be super excited for it. If y'all want actual change, you have to be consistent with your feelings. These big corporations and organizations don't give a **** about how you feel because they know it's all talk and no show. 

🃏🖤👹

Rahrahbitchson
17 minutes ago, Reality said:

But if the Grammys lose credibility, why care if Gaga gets nominated or wins? You guys can't have it both ways. We can't get excited when our fave gets nominated, but then say "Screw the Grammys, they're overrated. No one cares about them" whenever we don't like something they do.

Look, I'm with Abel on this one. I think the Grammys definitely snubbed him, incorrectly. But I'm not going to go around like, "The Grammys suck. They've lost credibility. They're over." when I know that when Gaga gets nominated next, I'll be super excited for it. If y'all want actual change, you have to be consistent with your feelings. These big corporations and organizations don't give a **** about how you feel because they know it's all talk and no 

Im saying is that i get happy for gaga if she gets nominated because she is my idol not because im dying for her to get the grammy, been gaga nominated or no I STILL hold my opinion about them, is not hypocrisy, i get happy for my idol whenever she achieved something, my opinion will not change about them considering how awful they have been with a lot of artist  

Quizás bastaba respirar, sólo respirar, muy lento...💙

3 hours ago, sickandtired said:

being as successful as he is, having millions of people enjoying your releases is much better than grammys

most of the public ain't even going to remember the trophies (tho they are cool to brag about) you got, but the work you put out

Yes like both Madonna and Prince, as examples. They were usually snubbed by awards shows, but massive with listeners and had the brightest careers regardless. The Weeknd will be similar to their legacy, I bet. He's really Great.

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

nodandsmile
1 minute ago, Sister said:

Yes like both Madonna and Prince, as examples. They were usually snubbed by awards shows, but massive with listeners and had the brightest careers regardless. The Weeknd will be similar to their legacy, I bet. He's really Great.

the only usefulness I can see about a nomination is that you might be invited to perform in front of millions... that's great promo

but if you are already THAT popular... eh

He did not deserve a Grammy more or less than any other of the winning artists.

He can stay pressed all year, he still won’t get a 2020 Grammy. I don’t get why he just can’t accept it...

Archived