💓 ONE YEAR OF STUPID LOVE 💓

Use code STUPIDLOVE for 20% off everything

Sign in to follow this  
politics

Poland proposes social media 'free speech' law

Poland's government has proposed a new law to stop social media platforms deleting content and banning users who do not break Polish laws.

Justice Minister announced the "freedom of speech protection" bill on Friday.

The law would also establish a "freedom of speech council".

The council would be able to order social networks such as Facebook or Twitter to restore deleted content and unblock a user's account following a review.

Social media users in Poland who had been blocked or had content deleted would be able to complain directly to the platform.   
Platform would have to respond within 24 hours.

If a social media company refused to comply with an order, the council would be able to issue a fine of between 50,000($13.300) and 50 million zloty ($13.4m). 

source

👻
  • Like 1
  • LMAO 1
  • Shook 1
  • Sad 5

xoxo Craig

Is this just another way of justifing hate speech under the term "free" speech? Hmm I wonder

End Racism Now
  • Like 12
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 3

bionic

See you in the European Court of Human Rights, Poland!

buy bionic
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

PartySick

I'm so against this. If someone is breaking a platform's TOS then they have every right to remove that person's account or posts.

Like, imagine if GGD was in Poland and we weren't allowed to ban p*rn spammers, Nazis, or Katy Perry fans :smh:

💙I heard one sine from above💙
  • Like 3
  • LMAO 13
  • YAAAS 1
  • Thanks 5

xoxo Craig
Just now, PartySick said:

I'm so against this. If someone is breaking a platform's TOS then they have every right to remove that person's account or posts.

Like, imagine if GGD was in Poland and we weren't allowed to ban p*rn spammers, Nazis, or Katy Perry fans :smh:

:cyanlights:

End Racism Now
  • LMAO 13

the Devil of Pop

Sounds like a nightmare from Facebook's perspective. Now 1 country only is denying them the right to determine what gets hosted on their platform and what doesnt? Putting themselves at risk of being sued for that problematic content? Inconsistently applying their rules depending on what country the poster is from? Having to vet which country the poster is from before deciding which moderation rules apply to them? That all sounds logistically ridiculous

I would not be surprised if Facebook responds to this by simply not offering accounts to people in Poland anymore

Edited by the Devil of Pop
How can I protect something so perfect without evil?
  • Like 3

Dulo Peep

Trump's ban making waves or more like a tsunami across the globe

dul0_pEEP in your Areaaah!

Morphine Prince

Trump just found a country where to escape to. 

• Like 2

Borislshere
10 minutes ago, PartySick said:

This is foul :laughga:

• LMAO 4

E Z

Are Polish right-wingers pushing this? Because it’s so ironic when right-wingers try to push the state onto private companies :yennefer:

PartySick
2 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

Trump just found a country where to escape to. 

Is it weird that I find Trump fleeing to Poland ironic? Almost like another Trump-like figure "entered" Poland at one point?

3 minutes ago, Borislshere said:

This is foul :laughga:

💙I heard one sine from above💙
  • LMAO 3

Chromatican

We really need to let social media platforms have their own terms of service. If you nationalize them then dissenting voices, regardless of their merit will be censored more than they already are.

Edited by Chromatican
  • Like 2

RahrahWitch

This is Disgusting, I'm so tired of the "Free speech" argument.

You have Free speech, That doesn't mean you get to spout hate without consequence.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lucas

I would agree with this if free speech actually meant free speech and not "hate speech and inciting violence"

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2