Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

is ‘Lucid’ another ‘Invading My Mind’ situation?

FentyGa

Featured Posts

FentyGa

upon first listen of rina sawayama’a latest single, Lucid, i immediately noticed the similarity to Rain On Me. the guitar, the bassline, and im pretty sure it’s the same chord progression. really similar, at least.

i was reminded of the 2011 Judas/Invading My Mind fiasco, where Gaga got mad at RedOne for lifting the structure and vague style of Judas for a JLo song. in the end, Gaga was credited as a producer.

but, at least to my ears, Lucid is far more similar to ROM than IMM is to Judas. do y’all think it was intentional, or just a product of bloodpop’s lack of substance? does gaga know? thoughts?

holy scheisse

Let's just say they'd make a great mashup and i can already hear rain on me vocals in the lucid instrumental break :sis: but it doesn't sound like a direct copy

As an avid little monster and music connoisseur, I worship Rina Sawayama as my one and true God, the pop star with the album that should've been named AOTY everywhere, aka the second coming of Jesus aka the second coming of Madonna aka the first coming of Rina, and, at the same time, I must admit Rain On Me is objectivley a tacky song that was dated from the moment it was released. This led me to the conclusion that, since I don't like Rain On Me, because I'm an avid little monster but also a music connoisseur (and anyone who disagrees with me on this is obviously either lying to themselves or know nothing about music), and I worship "LUCID" as the anthem of this generation, of human society if you will, that the two of those don't sound alike at all and, thus, I strongly condemn this post written by someone who is evidently much less capacitated to comment on this issue than me, an avid little monster and music connoisseur.

This was an official message from the Office of the First Lady.

youandi

I don’t think they’re that similar tbh

Rain On Me feels like a homage to the french house dance pop of late 90s/early noughties and early noughties synthpop ala Love At First Sight. 

Lucid to me feels more deliberately modern, easy going dance pop 

LOVE JUNKIE

This happens all the time with producers. Dr. Luke used to so this all the time back in the day.

Spoiler

"California Gurls" and "Tik Tok" are super similar

as are "Domino" and "Last Friday Night"

"Firework" and "Primadonna" have basically the same chorus melody

and then "Never Close Our Eyes" used basically the same instrumental as "Primadonna"

All produced by Dr. Luke

It also happened with that guy from onerepublic who produced both of these songs

Spoiler

he wrote and produced both of these songs

and both of these

The label's probably like "hey, this song was a hit. Let's hire that producer to make a song just like it for this other artist". The music industry loves a formula and they'll always go with something tried and true rather than something new.

Or it might just be the prodcuers being lazy or not having enough time/resources to make something from scratch so they just start with a build of another song they made in the past and rework it.

on a three day bender

Gorehound
1 hour ago, Jill said:

As an avid little monster and music connoisseur, I worship Rina Sawayama as my one and true God, the pop star with the album that should've been named AOTY everywhere, aka the second coming of Jesus aka the second coming of Madonna aka the first coming of Rina, and, at the same time, I must admit Rain On Me is objectivley a tacky song that was dated from the moment it was released. This led me to the conclusion that, since I don't like Rain On Me, because I'm an avid little monster but also a music connoisseur (and anyone who disagrees with me on this is obviously either lying to themselves or know nothing about music), and I worship "LUCID" as the anthem of this generation, of human society if you will, that the two of those don't sound alike at all and, thus, I strongly condemn this post written by someone who is evidently much less capacitated to comment on this issue than me, an avid little monster and music connoisseur.

bulge bulging GIF

I'm fine, Ta

YES it does sound like it, it could even be another song on Gaga's Chromatica album.

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

FentyGa
2 hours ago, youandi said:

I don’t think they’re that similar tbh

Rain On Me feels like a homage to the french house dance pop of late 90s/early noughties and early noughties synthpop ala Love At First Sight. 

Lucid to me feels more deliberately modern, easy going dance pop 

1 hour ago, HausOfAntonio said:

Its just Bloodpop’s style :bear:

i think the main differences are the structure and the flow, lucid is far more of a ‘dance’ song start to finish, pounding all the way through, where as rain on me is more dance-pop, having a rise and fall, and a clearly defined verse-chorus-verse-chorus structure. it’s the song itself

the chord progression, possibly even the key, the instrumentation, and particularly the guitar in the introductions

i honestly dont know much about blood besides his work on joanne, chromatica, and some of j*stin bieber’s hits (that i know of) so i can’t really comment on the style thing, but they seem awfullly close for it to just be a style thing

EDIT: omg he did my favourite britney song, Better! and some bangers from rebel heart lol

Lona Delery

yea it sounds very similar, but lucid was done in 2018, so i guess its really just a bloodpop thing. get rid of him, gaga

Sometimes it feels like I've got a war in my mind, I wanna get off but I keep riding the ride

nodandsmile
3 hours ago, Jill said:

f61m.jpg

FentyGa
1 hour ago, Lona Delery said:

yea it sounds very similar, but lucid was done in 2018, so i guess its really just a bloodpop thing. get rid of him, gaga

maybe it was the other way around then:enigma: escandalo

JINNOCIDE

Yes, Lucid reminded both of ROM and SL.

I didn't like at first but now I like the song and I stan Rina for reasons @Jill spilled with precision :sis:

STAN RINA SAWAYAMA

Archived