🌎 𝔤𝔞𝔤𝔞 𝔡𝔞𝔦𝔩𝔶 𝔰𝔥𝔬𝔭 - 𝔫𝔬𝔴 𝔰𝔥𝔦𝔭𝔭𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔴𝔬𝔯𝔩𝔡𝔴𝔦𝔡𝔢 🌏

Sign in to follow this  
politics

Possible UK food shortages after Jan 1st

Miss Dolly

The UK should brace itself for months of food shortages from 1 January as strict European rules are enforced and the prospect of long delays at the customs border scare off truck drivers from even attempting to deliver goods across the Channel, experts on both sides of the channel have claimed.

According to the boss of Europe’s largest haulage trade body, the UK is looking at a “nightmare scenario” that will lead to “weeks, if not months” of food shortages after the Brexit transition period comes to an end in just four weeks.

The i politics newsletter cut through the noise

The UK’s leading haulage organisation has also criticised the Government’s preparations, claiming truck companies are unable to plan for the new rules “because we’ve not been told what the rules are”.

Delays at customs as well as the reluctance from EU-based haulage firms to get stuck in costly queues in and around UK ports will, claim the experts, lead to a shortage of many shoppers’ favourite products including pasta, cheese, meat and wine. 

Prices of everyday food and drink items are also expected to increase due to the shortages and the additional costs incurred by delivery companies entering the UK." 

Source: https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/brexit-latest-uk-brace-months-food-shortages-1-january-delivery-782518

I've been looking forward to the mess Brexit will unleash on the UK 

Blue smoke is the heartbreak train
  • Like 2
  • Shook 6

Supersonic

It‘s always a mystery to me how conservatives always want the broad population to suffer and how a large chunk of low-income people are willing and wanting to suffer.

• Like 21
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Lippoutou

This is sad for the people who wanted to stay in but good for those who voted out. When you do clownery the clown is gonna bite back.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

GagaSine

This is so sad. There are so many people in the UK already struggling with poverty and food insecurity. :toofunny:

• Like 6

Lucas

How sad, particularly in 2021. Our world is really going down badly

• Like 1

Aussie

That to me sounds a bit like an extreme worst case scenario. More fear mongering than anything else

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

bionic
14 minutes ago, GagaSine said:

This is so sad. There are so many people in the UK already struggling with poverty and food insecurity. :toofunny:

As in most countries, the 'establishment politicians' have already got theirs (and yours), so why should they care about the little people? UK politicians are amongst the most corrupt in the Western world

buy bionic
  • Like 1

Miss Dolly
5 minutes ago, Aussie said:

That to me sounds a bit like an extreme worst case scenario. More fear mongering than anything else

This is unfortunately going to be reality because of our lazy PM wanting a no deal brexit from the moment Cameron announcing the referendum 

President Biden

:huntyga: I’ll be the one to say it: This is what happens when you let big government do whatever it pleases. 

:lolga:if this was happening in the US, people would literally revolt

I got drunk
  • Like 1

Miss Dolly
2 minutes ago, bionic said:

As in most countries, the 'establishment politicians' have already got theirs (and yours), so why should they care about the little people? UK politicians are amongst the most corrupt in the Western world

If a country is spending money on the people the country always does better 

Chic

Is this a UK-only issue, or is this to be expected around the world? What circumstances led up to this?

berlinforme
Just now, Chic said:

Is this a UK-only issue, or is this to be expected around the world? What circumstances led up to this?

Brexit, so it certainly is UK-only. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1