🎄 December Fan Mail 🎄

Sign in to follow this  
science

Parents of teen w/ mental issues can sue sp*rm bank donor was schizophrenic

Economy
1 hour ago, HEARTSTOP said:

I understand they spent money to get their kid, but literally no one can be sure their kid will come out "good". Genetics are not straigh-forward like that. 

The can give you predispositions, and some specific characteristics, but other factors will influence it during the growth of the baby, and even because of certain combinations of genetic material.

These kids, as someone here said, will feel like damaged goods, and blame themselves and this guy for their life being crappy, when in reality the main reason their life is crappy is their parents Karening about not getting the product they idealized.

If you decide to have a kid, you have to be prepared to accept anything that comes, and be ready to support them no matter what. 

Also, paying for sperm/egg donors is so egocentric, I'll never understand this need. There's so many kids to adopt out there but for some reason "I have to pass down my genes because they will be superior to any kid already out there" or "at least this kid is my REAL kid" (for one of the parents).

Obviously, the company is to be held accountable for false advertising, just like any other product you buy out there.

 

I was thinking the same thing about how genetics alone don't usually determine most of these conditions but I think the main point is that the company lied

 

U can't really prove that the kids have the conditions specifically because the father also does (although it seems like a very likely heavy influence) but regardless the company lied on the state of the father so... That's false advertising

  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Debithius
5 hours ago, Defmix100 said:

he's 17 or 18

He is born in 1998, he is not a teen lol. He is 22.

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
HEARTSTOP
1 hour ago, Chromatography said:

right, but they weren’t paying to have a child with those predispositions. it sounds fvcked up, but it’s the same reason i’m never going to have children with my spouse. we both of had way too much mental strife and it would be borderline abuse to have the potential to pass that on.

to address your second point, some mothers want to feel the joy of carrying a child. maybe the guy was sterile or whatever but she still wanted to do that. there’s absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to experience that. idk why you’re throwing around people think it’s on the basis of “real” or “fake” or “superior” children, because often times it’s not that. 

I get that. But if it's "the pregnancy experience" they wanted, they got it, right?

Again, the company should have repercussions for false advertisement. But I don't think blaming your kid's mental issues on the company is really fair for any of the parts involved, specially the kids and the donor.

Yes the kid has mental problems, but that's no one's fault.

Yes, the donor is a criminal but that has nothing to do with the case. And yes, he has mental health problems, but it's the company's responsibility to screen through the donors and be transparent about the information. Just like when you go donate blood, it's not your responsibility if later someone gets a disease you were unaware of from it. It's the donation center's responsibility to screen through the blood samples and make sure they're clean for transfusion. 

So, they should've gone about the case in a different way (don't know if it's the parents or the media who are approaching the matter this way). They should sue the company for false advertisement, and not for "damages caused", mentioning the kid's healthcare costs and whatnot. Also, aren't donors supposed to be confidential? If a 14-year old can find information like this, then sue the company for breach of confidentiality too.

Edited by HEARTSTOP
"Human stupidity knows no bounds." - Some Old Crazy Guy, Probably

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Defmix100
1 hour ago, Debithius said:

He is born in 1998, he is not a teen lol. He is 22.

my mistake I read the born in 2002 part

Edited by Defmix100
edit
  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
weed

The company deserves what they get for lying so extensively to customers

The child (or all 36 I guess) deserves to be happy, hope they can be 

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
KanyeWest
4 hours ago, HEARTSTOP said:

Also, paying for sperm/egg donors is so egocentric, I'll never understand this need. There's so many kids to adopt out there but for some reason "I have to pass down my genes because they will be superior to any kid already out there" or "at least this kid is my REAL kid" (for one of the parents).

Why judge people who want their own child?

Kanye West Is Blonde And Gone
  • Like 2

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
KanyeWest
1 hour ago, HEARTSTOP said:

But I don't think blaming your kid's mental issues on the company is really fair for any of the parts involved, specially the kids and the donor.

The sperm donor has schizophrenia and is a criminal and can be passed down that's how genes work. So yes they can sue the company

1 hour ago, HEARTSTOP said:

Yes, the donor is a criminal but that has nothing to do with the case.

It has because he gave his sperm with his genes passed down to this kid. You got 50/50 chances the kid can have mental issues. My mom has certain symptoms of anxiety and OCD and I turn out to have pure-o OCD myself. That's how genes work. My grandma has bipolar disorder, my uncle turns out to have bipolar as well. So yes the donor has something to do with it, clearly.

1 hour ago, HEARTSTOP said:

And yes, he has mental health problems, but it's the company's responsibility to screen through the donors and be transparent about the information.

But u just said the donor has nothing to do with it, so if he has nothing to do with it, why the need to screen through donors' information since according to you, the genes are not responsible for anything.

1 hour ago, HEARTSTOP said:

Just like when you go donate blood, it's not your responsibility if later someone gets a disease you were unaware of from it. It's the donation center's responsibility to screen through the blood samples and make sure they're clean for transfusion. 

If you have HIV, it's your responsibility asmuch as the donation center's....isn't it?

Kanye West Is Blonde And Gone

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Economy
16 minutes ago, KanyeWest said:

The sperm donor has schizophrenia and is a criminal and can be passed down that's how genes work. So yes they can sue the company

It has because he gave his sperm with his genes passed down to this kid. You got 50/50 chances the kid can have mental issues. My mom has certain symptoms of anxiety and OCD and I turn out to have pure-o OCD myself. That's how genes work. My grandma has bipolar disorder, my uncle turns out to have bipolar as well. So yes the donor has something to do with it, clearly.

But u just said the donor has nothing to do with it, so if he has nothing to do with it, why the need to screen through donors' information since according to you, the genes are not responsible for anything.

If you have HIV, it's your responsibility asmuch as the donation center's....isn't it?

So ur saying only healthy ppl are allowed to procreate? That sounds like Hitler's Genetic visions to me?

 

Mind u, I do get that not being a donor is not the same level of sacrafice as if u were to ask a couple in a relationship not to have their own child but in principal either it's ok for ppl with genetic defects to father/mother children or its not. 

 

Besides, almost every person has some kind of negative genetic predisposition. If it's not mental health that's apparent at a young age it's other physical ailments that don't typically show up at the age ppl tend to donate. It doesn't mean they don't have genetic flaws

 

Were not talking about a serious illness that's purely genetic. Were talking about something where genetics may be a factor but environment plays a role too. When it comes to negative possible genetic influences, almost no one has perfect genes

 

It's bad that they lied. But if I'm understanding the OP correctly the company is the one that false advertised not the individual donor

Edited by Economy

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
KanyeWest
17 minutes ago, Economy said:

So ur saying only healthy ppl are allowed to procreate? That sounds like Hitler's Genetic visions to me?

Of course not, but it's about transparency. And calling people Hitler nazis is very weird. Ive never said people with mental illnesses are inferior to those without any! I myself suffer from ADHD, depression and OCD, and I can live my life relatively like everyone. Just like autistic people who can be very smart, and this false impression that they are not is also pretty sad. When it comes to sperm donors, the parents have to have transparency, lying about conditions should be punishable by law, of course. You can't lie, it's not consensual to make someone procreate if they agreed to a sperm that's built on a lie. 

Here's what I said:

The sperm donor has schizophrenia and is a criminal and can be passed down that's how genes work. So yes they can sue the company. This is a response to the member who said the parents cannot sue the company, in my opinion YES they can because the informations given about the donor were FALSE.

Conclusion: I did not say only healthy people are allowed to procreate which globalizes everything, when Im talking about a specific topic which is SPERM DONOR and the right for TRANSPARENCY and VERIFIED INFORMATION. This does not mean I subscribe to Hitler's philosophy that WHITE BLUE EYES ARE SUPERIOR. 

Is that clearer now? I hope it is

 

Kanye West Is Blonde And Gone

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
bionic

I don't think schizophrenia is genetic is it

buy bionic

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
shoful

If schizophrenia is genetic then they should have the right to sue. As far as Im aware the bank has to disclose all of that information. But like this is kinda ****ed. Their kid is alive and possibly aware of this, that his parents have sued essentially based on him not being satisfactory 

"My name is Dita, I'll be your Mistress tonight..."

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
ALGAYDO
4 hours ago, uo111 said:

I’m just gonna say, adopt don’t shop.

I know this is meant for pets, not people, but if it fits... :billie:

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
uo111
1 hour ago, bionic said:

I don't think schizophrenia is genetic is it

Yes it is at least partly.

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
bionic
Just now, uo111 said:

Yes it is at least partly.

Today I learned!

buy bionic

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
HEARTSTOP
6 hours ago, KanyeWest said:

Of course not, but it's about transparency. And calling people Hitler nazis is very weird. Ive never said people with mental illnesses are inferior to those without any! I myself suffer from ADHD, depression and OCD, and I can live my life relatively like everyone. Just like autistic people who can be very smart, and this false impression that they are not is also pretty sad. When it comes to sperm donors, the parents have to have transparency, lying about conditions should be punishable by law, of course. You can't lie, it's not consensual to make someone procreate if they agreed to a sperm that's built on a lie. 

Here's what I said:

The sperm donor has schizophrenia and is a criminal and can be passed down that's how genes work. So yes they can sue the company. This is a response to the member who said the parents cannot sue the company, in my opinion YES they can because the informations given about the donor were FALSE.

Conclusion: I did not say only healthy people are allowed to procreate which globalizes everything, when Im talking about a specific topic which is SPERM DONOR and the right for TRANSPARENCY and VERIFIED INFORMATION. This does not mean I subscribe to Hitler's philosophy that WHITE BLUE EYES ARE SUPERIOR. 

Is that clearer now? I hope it is

 

Nowhere do I say genetics have nothing to do with predisposition and certain characteristics. Being a criminal is not genetic though...LOL And schizophrenia is only a predisposition which doesn't show its phenotype in most cases.

I also said at least 3 things that the company should be sued for, yet apparently I said "the parents can't sue the company"...

The problem is that you forget to read half the words I wrote...is that genetic too? Stop saying "that's how genes work" as if human genetics was as linear as 1+1 =2 because, surprise!, that's not how it works.

It's funny because you probably just know general ideas about genetics and I actually am a Bioengineer with a Master's in Genetics and Epigenetics.

Just like your only conception of Hitler's history is "WHITE BLUE EYES ARE SUPERIOR". @Economy's reply comparing it to Hitler's idealism was justified because you clearly said a person with genetic defects (even if not deadly) should be responsible enough to not pass down their genes. Guys! A person with mental issues is to be accountable for passing down their mental issues! You heard it here first! It's not as if those mental problems make you not be able to discern what's right or wrong... Come on! It's the company's job, yes, to screen through everything they get donated! And it's their job to be clear about it, no one else's. It's them who made money from it without caring.

And even if you know you have HIV and still go donate (please don't), it's still the donation center's job to test the samples. Else, what are you gonna do about diseases you have that don't show symptoms?

"Human stupidity knows no bounds." - Some Old Crazy Guy, Probably
  • Thanks 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...