🎄 December Fan Mail 🎄

Sign in to follow this  
science

Parents of teen w/ mental issues can sue sp*rm bank donor was schizophrenic

BUtterfield 8

f28882d0-021a-11eb-a64d-35234f63a03f_800

Georgia's highest court ruled on Monday, 9/28, that a couple can proceed w/ a lawsuit against a sperm bank that had misrepresented its process 4 screening donors. The sperm bank had also provided an incorrect medical & educational history of the donor.

The Normans had bought sperm from Xytex & Wendy Norman gave birth 2 her second son in 2002. The couple had given birth 2 a healthy baby boy who was born in 1998 after being conceived w/ sperm from another donor at Xytex. When the child grew up, the couple found that he had inherited some serious medical & mental health problems & had required multiple hospitalizations.

He had been diagnosed with ADHD & depression & was also given medication 4 the same. At the age of 14, the child approached his parents & sought out information about the sperm donor. The child had read the extensive file provided by Xytex, the teenager had gone online & found his biological father's mugshot. He also found his biological father's criminal record & comments on battling with schizophrenia. 

The couple sued the sperm donor company, the medical director, & an employee. The donor #9623 had been advertised as one of Xytex's best & was shown as a Ph.D. candidate with an IQ of 160, multilingual, & a clean mental health history. They later found out that it was not true. 

Aggeles had started 2 donate sperm at the age of 23 in 2000 & fathered a total of 36 children. Aggeles apologized to the parents of the children he had helped conceive in the podcast 'Donor 9623'. He said, "I hope that the families involved, & particularly the children involved, can find it in their hearts 2 forgive me."

Source

Edited by Blue Lagoon
  • Shook 9
  • Sad 4

Juan2111

OMFG, this is insane.

Really, I mean the company only wanted the money, and they sold him as the best human beign to be a sperm donor!. And now 36 children or teenagers, are suffering from schizoprhenia, depression etc.., al because Xytex wanted money. Thats sick.

• Like 4
  • Shook 2
  • Sad 2

LateToCult
1 hour ago, Blue Lagoon said:

He had been diagnosed with ADHD & depression & was also given medication 4 the same.

Me

• Love 4

Debithius

Well he isn't a teen and what's with the 2s and 4s, that was confusing at first xD

But also, gasp :laughga:

Edited by Debithius
  • Like 10

Lion Heart

Aggeles had started 2 donate sperm at the age of 23 in 2000 & fathered a total of 36 children.

Jesus Christ. :saladga: 

dit

i feel bad for the parents who were literally sold a lie but I feel even worse for the kids who now feel like they are broken goods because their parents are suing the company that essentially sold them to their parents because they didn't turn out the way they were advertised as potentially being. It's a big mess all around. 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Quartz

I feel bad for the kids. I hope the parents won't hold this against them. It was not their fault. :(

Inside, we are really made the same. 🕊
  • Like 6

Defmix100
7 hours ago, Debithius said:

Well he isn't a teen and what's with the 2s and 4s, that was confusing at first xD

But also, gasp :laughga:

he's 17 or 18

BUtterfield 8
1 hour ago, Quartz said:

I feel bad for the kids. I hope the parents won't hold this against them. It was not their fault. :(

I don’t think any of them are hopefully 

• Love 1

HEARTSTOP

I understand they spent money to get their kid, but literally no one can be sure their kid will come out "good". Genetics are not straigh-forward like that. 

The can give you predispositions, and some specific characteristics, but other factors will influence it during the growth of the baby, and even because of certain combinations of genetic material.

These kids, as someone here said, will feel like damaged goods, and blame themselves and this guy for their life being crappy, when in reality the main reason their life is crappy is their parents Karening about not getting the product they idealized.

If you decide to have a kid, you have to be prepared to accept anything that comes, and be ready to support them no matter what. 

Also, paying for sperm/egg donors is so egocentric, I'll never understand this need. There's so many kids to adopt out there but for some reason "I have to pass down my genes because they will be superior to any kid already out there" or "at least this kid is my REAL kid" (for one of the parents).

Obviously, the company is to be held accountable for false advertising, just like any other product you buy out there.

"Human stupidity knows no bounds." - Some Old Crazy Guy, Probably
  • Like 5
  • YAAAS 2

Sneaky Oliver
4 hours ago, dit said:

feel even worse for the kids who now feel like they are broken goods because their parents are suing the company that essentially sold them to their parents because they didn't turn out the way they were advertised as potentially being.

This! How awful! I would rather not to sue than making this public! They're terrible parents to begin with. Now what? You give back your baby to the clinic? The world is so messed up!

Edited by Sneaky Oliver
A reverse Sneaky Oliver-ian expedition
  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 1

Chromatography
41 minutes ago, HEARTSTOP said:

I understand they spent money to get their kid, but literally no one can be sure their kid will come out "good". Genetics are not straigh-forward like that. 

The can give you predispositions, and some specific characteristics, but other factors will influence it during the growth of the baby, and even because of certain combinations of genetic material.

These kids, as someone here said, will feel like damaged goods, and blame themselves and this guy for their life being crappy, when in reality the main reason their life is crappy is their parents Karening about not getting the product they idealized.

If you decide to have a kid, you have to be prepared to accept anything that comes, and be ready to support them no matter what. 

Also, paying for sperm/egg donors is so egocentric, I'll never understand this need. There's so many kids to adopt out there but for some reason "I have to pass down my genes because they will be superior to any kid already out there" or "at least this kid is my REAL kid" (for one of the parents).

Obviously, the company is to be held accountable for false advertising, just like any other product you buy out there.

right, but they weren’t paying to have a child with those predispositions. it sounds fvcked up, but it’s the same reason i’m never going to have children with my spouse. we both of had way too much mental strife and it would be borderline abuse to have the potential to pass that on.

to address your second point, some mothers want to feel the joy of carrying a child. maybe the guy was sterile or whatever but she still wanted to do that. there’s absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to experience that. idk why you’re throwing around people think it’s on the basis of “real” or “fake” or “superior” children, because often times it’s not that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

modern ecstasy

That’s so frightening especially because I’ve considered using a sperm donor one day.

BUtterfield 8
3 minutes ago, uo111 said:

I’m just gonna say, adopt don’t shop.

Sis that’s for dogs 

• LMAO 4