Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Ariana Grande: positions [critic reviews + metacritic score: 70]

BUtterfield 8

Featured Posts

LilyLark
5 hours ago, reelcool said:

lol who cares just enjoy the music or not and go

This. Some of the most iconic albums are in the low to mid 70s on Metacritic while (and I love Dua, even though I know this will sound like a drag) has an album in the low 90s.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
StrawberryBlond

I thought critics would love it after how much they were praising her last 2 albums but it looks like they've maybe got a bit tired of her constant presence at this point, had too much of a good thing and woken up to how she just refuses to change her sound and message. It's getting tiring hearing song after song about sex and complicated relationships from her, she seems incapable of singing about anything else or switching up the beat. I really thought after her hits with TUN, 7 Rings and ROM (basically all her hits are the dancey ones) that she'd see the way forward is to have a few danceable tracks on there but this was quite a sedate pace, a bit too sedate. I'm surprised she isn't chasing a more hit sound. The songs are too short and have a lack of interesting subject matter, she's just repeating the same message over and over. The only ones I liked were Off the Table, Safety Net, My Hair, Nasty, Obvious and POV. The only ones I could see becoming hits from here on out are Off the Table and Safety Net, I don't even think the Doja collab is interesting enough. I'm honestly surprised she just jumped in feet first with this album without waiting to see how the first single does before proceeding. I think she and her label have got a bit too greedy and just want to put out as many back to back albums as possible to guarantee hits and constant audience engagement. But she's so ridiculously overexposed now that this isn't going to work.

I’m sorry, but positions is far better than sweetener! Some of the production was unlistenable at times to me (particularly on the Pharell songs). Don’t get me wrong positions is no thank u next, but I enjoyed it :oops:

Get that fire exit door, I’m off...

CanadaGoesGaga

Wake me up when Ariana finally uses her vocal chops properly. Love her as a person, love her incredible voice, basically despise most her music. 

DOJA CAT
1 hour ago, StrawberryBlond said:

she just refuses to change her sound

Have you listened to her last three albums?

thank u, next

StrawberryBlond
3 minutes ago, SOYEON said:

Have you listened to her last three albums?

Yes, this sounds like a watered down version of TUN and is only slightly better than Sweetner. She's been making the same kinda sound for the last 3 albums now. If she wants to keep with the RnB sound, I wish it sounded more like what she did on Dangerous Woman, this stuff is just too bland and forgettable.

Luke78619

The album sounds like a mix of Sweetener and TUN to me, as in it reminds me of Sweetener (for me, kinda lacking) but has some good moments (which reminds me of TUN) :sweat:

I’m not overly impressed but it’s not her worst album imo

insta: good_lukeing | I have nothing else to promote

well she's been knew
that's what you get for releasing TUN 2.0
she's pretty talented and she knows how to reinvent herself, just seems she's getting.. lazy?

or maybe it's cause scooter knows whatever trap-like beat she puts her vocals on will get some praise
not as much this time..

Chromatography
1 hour ago, Contessa said:

The value placed on critics is so funny stan priorities are so weird. 

the funny thing is, critics don’t matter when it comes to gaga albums. people were talking about how critics don’t matter till they were blue in the face after chromatica got planned by a few different reviewers. but suddenly, critics and reviews matter when it comes to ariana. this fan base is so disgustingly hypocritical  lol

Contessa
12 minutes ago, Chromatography said:

the funny thing is, critics don’t matter when it comes to gaga albums. people were talking about how critics don’t matter till they were blue in the face after chromatica got planned by a few different reviewers. but suddenly, critics and reviews matter when it comes to ariana. this fan base is so disgustingly hypocritical  lol

Not like it’s surprising. Most stans pick and choose when certain stats matter. I bet you if Gaga had as many billboard entries as Nicki they would be LIVING. Metacritic scores are one of the most ridiculous stats ever it’s solely based on the reviewers own tastes and opinion. They swear like the GP is sitting on metacritic saying “I wonder what score Positions has because that’s going to determine if I’ll stream it or not.” Ariana is going #1 for sure so let’s discuss that instead. :ladyhaha:

Archived