rumor

WAP was not submitted 4 the 2021 Grammy Awards consideration

BUtterfield 8

Featured Posts

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Runway said:

That's literally what makes it NOT pop. When a DaBaby and Rody Rich song is popular no one calls it a pop song :toofunny:

i know it's classified as a rap song but the impact it has had is similar to old town road from last year.

and guess what? old town road won best pop duo last year even though it's partially a rap/trap song so I wouldn't be surprised if WAP was eligible for submission. that's all i'm saying. 

you can serve it to me ancient city style...

pachinko
17 hours ago, mamo said:

YAS that means 'Rain On Me' has no competition and is most likely taking home best pop duo next year :vegas:

giphy.gif

This!!!!

malazam

Y'all celebrating what? They can still get a nod and most likely will.

another shot before we kiss the other side

Runway
30 minutes ago, mamo said:

i know it's classified as a rap song but the impact it has had is similar to old town road from last year.

and guess what? old town road won best pop duo last year even though it's partially a rap/trap song so I wouldn't be surprised if WAP was eligible for submission. that's all i'm saying. 

OTR was not a rap song. it was country influenced and he did not rap in it, Billy Ray's verse just made it even more pop

StrawberryBlond

Would it even be possible to submit a song that is out of the eligiability period, though? Even if it was delayed from last year? This is a bad idea. It means people will be scratching their heads if it's nominated next year and will be really annoyed if it wins over a more deserving song that's been made in that time. This is why the Grammys are losing relevancy, with the weird submission rules they have. It means albums win AOTY over a year later when times have moved on and people think a more relevant album is worth it. Like when 1989 won at the 2016 ceremony (when Kendrick Lamar's more recent album was deemed the more culturally relevant one at the time) and 25 won at 2017 ceremony (when Lemonade had been released since and was the big frontrunner). Submitting now would have ensured that they both had a nomination and exposure to tide them over until their respective albums are released. Now they're going to have to try to win everything for the whole era in one ceremony next time, which is a lot harder to do.

17 hours ago, mamo said:

YAS that means 'Rain On Me' has no competition and is most likely taking home best pop duo next year :vegas:

giphy.gif

I'm pretty sure that WAP would be nominated under rap. I know you bring up the example of Old Town Road being submitted under pop but that's probably because it was a hard song to categorise with a country artist feature and the chorus being sung. WAP has two rappers on it, has no singing and is purely a rap sound. Gaga was always safe in that regard. The only question will be if Doja Cat submits the Nicki Minaj remix of Say So and if that may well be categorised as pop. Don't know what rules are regarding remixes. But it means Gaga will have more chance in SOTY/ROTY now as well, though there's certainly been no guarantees.

14 hours ago, pedrohemg said:

What's going on in the first page of this thread? Were you guys really considering The Recording Academy would reward such a low quality song? Only because it's successful? Come on. The Grammys isn't about charts, although it may happen a hit win all major categories, but it must be at least good, which isn't the case with WAP.

It's your opinion that it's low quality. It's a very polarising song but it gained critical acclaim, look it up. The academy have awarded low quality songs before. Who Let The Dogs Out won a Grammy, so I rest my case. The Grammys have been accused for years of awarding commercial success over quality, particularly in major categories, it's a thing.

pedrohemg
2 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

It's your opinion that it's low quality. It's a very polarising song but it gained critical acclaim, look it up. The academy have awarded low quality songs before. Who Let The Dogs Out won a Grammy, so I rest my case. The Grammys have been accused for years of awarding commercial success over quality, particularly in major categories, it's a thing.

I said, certified freak
Seven days a week
Wet ass ***
Make that pull-out game weak, woo

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, you ****ing with some wet ass ***
Bring a bucket and a mop for this wet ass ***
Give me everything you got for this wet ass ***

That would never win SOTY or ROTY, no matter what. ROM and WAP are in very different levels, so it doesn't matter if it was submitted or not. Maybe it could win something in the rap field, where the voters are less demanding. Who Let The Dogs Out won Best Dancing Recording, not a big category so it's acceptable.

Archived