Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Is music no longer a priority for singers?

Bottom

Featured Posts

One word: streaming. In today's age you literally never have to pay for music if you don't want to. The only people that go out and buy music are dedicated fans like us. It sucks but its the reality. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bionic

In modern music, releasing music is a launchpad for becoming a business. The money is in the endorsements and celebrity products. 

buy bionic

Economy
1 minute ago, pachinko said:

There is no money in music and it's a lot of work. Recording, releasing, promoting, charting, touring, traveling. 

For A-List artists there still is. Streaming may not pay quite as much as actual sales used to but touring which was always the biggest money maker anyway has remained mostly unaffected (excluding temporary Covid-19 impacts)

Even with costs, the share that record labels and promoters keep and stuff big artists will often pocket hundreds of thousands of dollars per show

If u can make what most people take several years to make in a single night it's a big exageration to say there's no money in music.

soon we will be happy for sales of 5k first week :laughga:

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

PsychoMaxcara

Yes, I have definitely noticed this trend although it's not necessarily something new -- it's just a lot more magnified because of the social media age we live in now & influencer culture. Singers have always dabbled in some way shape or form in other business ventures beside music whether it be cosmetics, perfumes, or fashion. Ultimately, all they're trying to do is to use their celebrity to maximize the profit they get from it.

However, with many singers joining social media -- I find the line between a legit artist and "influencer" officially blurred at this point. Btw, just for the record, I feel like the quality of music has been decreasing for a couple of years now so I won't say this trend is the sole reason for it, but I do find it sad that music is used merely as promo for other things and it's not the focus anymore. Business is overtaking the art in music.

Chromatican

You cannot stay relevant by just releasing music anymore. I agree, but with a pop culture climate like we have now where attention spans are limited and our interests are split a hundred different ways, it is kind of required for singers to branch out.

Economy
2 minutes ago, Mesmer92 said:

One word: streaming. In today's age you literally never have to pay for music if you don't want to. The only people that go out and buy music are dedicated fans like us. It sucks but its the reality. 

Just now, bionic said:

In modern music, releasing music is a launchpad for becoming a business. The money is in the endorsements and celebrity products. 

But like I said the biggest money maker of all has always been the tours and streaming hasnt stopped that

Also streaming still pays something so hit singles and albums haven't totally lost their revenue

The decline isn't as insanely dramatic and some make it sound like

Suspiria
3 minutes ago, Economy said:

If u can make what most people take several years to make in a single night it's a big exageration to say there's no money in music.

People are acting like these A-Listers are struggling to get by because of streaming:billie:

Music sales aren't how they used to be at all, it makes sense now why so many editions of each record come out all the time. For example look at cassettes, how many people even own a player any more? Record companies release that sort of stuff because it'll make money and boost sales. Also the same with merch/tour bundles and it's quite sad really.

NFRatwell

Is music no longer a priority for music stans?

So many of y’all make everything about videos, huge promo, charts, etc. and don’t actually care much about the music itself... So should artists actually be criticized for branching out if they can produce the visuals and success a lot of stans want in other ways outside of their music/albums. 

Chromatican
6 minutes ago, PsychoMaxcara said:

Yes, I have definitely noticed this trend although it's not necessarily something new -- it's just a lot more magnified because of the social media age we live in now & influencer culture. Singers have always dabbled in some way shape or form in other business ventures beside music whether it be cosmetics, perfumes, or fashion. Ultimately, all they're trying to do is to use their celebrity to maximize the profit they get from it.

However, with many singers joining social media -- I find the line between a legit artist and "influencer" officially blurred at this point. Btw, just for the record, I feel like the quality of music has been decreasing for a couple of years now so I won't say this trend is the sole reason for it, but I do find it sad that music is used merely as promo for other things and it's not the focus anymore. Business is overtaking the art in music.

I actually think the mainstream music has been in sharp decline for 8 years. For me, the last great pop music era was the Gaga/Kesha/Rihanna/Katy imperial pop moment that lasted from 2008-2012. Everything after that period has become more disposable and marketing of popstars has been a lot less creative as well.

Chromatican
2 minutes ago, KanyeWest said:

At least if ur selling lipgloss dont make them so tacky sticky like c** its gross and makes me wanna vomit

Are you talking about Haus Labs? :laughga:

Archived