🔴 Limited-edition Red Vinyl 🔴

Sign in to follow this  
tech

Microsoft buys game-publisher Bethesda

PrinceOfTheStorm

This is one of the biggest, if not the biggest buyout for a video game studio, and this was an entire company.

For now, games will be multiplat but this will probably change soon after already announced games are released.

the prince of depression
  • Like 3

Gagaloo911

Ridiculous.

This kind of buying up and consolidation should not be allowed.

• Thanks 1

shoful
5 minutes ago, Gagaloo911 said:

Ridiculous.

Exactly. This is too much. This should fall under like monopolization. Absolutely ridiculous 

"My name is Dita, I'll be your Mistress tonight..."
  • Like 1

Gagz4Gaga
16 minutes ago, Gagaloo911 said:

Ridiculous.

10 minutes ago, shoful said:

Exactly. This is too much. This should fall under like monopolization. Absolutely ridiculous 

I read in the news that their shopping spree of game studios is to strengthen Game Pass and xCloud. They want to be the Netflix of gaming.

Edited by Gagz4Gaga
  • Shook 1
  • Thanks 1

UWontUseMyMind

Oh Lord...this is serious ****! Microsoft buying Bethesda is HUGE but we still can't determine if famous IPs like Fallout or TES will become Xbox Exclusives. But what's the matter with DeathLoop now? As an Arkane Studio's game is a Bethesda game and it's set to be a PS5 console exclusive for some time before arriving on Xbox series X/S

MJHolland

Just give me the next elder scrolls pleaaassse

I agree with the general consensus here — I think the consolidation in the (video game) media market is alarming and doesn't actually bring consumers better products. 

• Like 1

NotDoctor
14 minutes ago, UWontUseMyMind said:

Oh Lord...this is serious ****! Microsoft buying Bethesda is HUGE but we still can't determine if famous IPs like Fallout or TES will become Xbox Exclusives. But what's the matter with DeathLoop now? As an Arkane Studio's game is a Bethesda game and it's set to be a PS5 console exclusive for some time before arriving on Xbox series X/S

If you look at MS's history, I would say DeathLoop would most likely continued as planned; if it was a hard exclusive I could see that changing to timed but I don't see them altering the plans that were already set.  Microsoft didn't block Obsidian from releasing The Outer Worlds on all platforms when they purchased them.  They also allowed Moon Studios to release Ori and the Blind Forest/Ori and the Will of the Wisps on Switch.  Then there's Minecraft and the way it exists everywhere.

In general over the last decade, Microsoft writ large has shifted to being a services company and with gamepass Xbox seems to be following suit.  Every single recent first party game they've put out has come to Xbox and PC, and now mobile with xCloud, and they've committed to continuing that.  It's not like anyone is going to have to buy an Xbox to play these games, you just might not be able to play future releases on a playstation :shrug:

Edited by NotDoctor
  • Like 1

UWontUseMyMind

Me realising that maybe now Obsidian may develop Fallout: New Vegas 2 Xbos Series S/X Exclusive:

DcdeeqeV4AAEVmI?format=jpg&name=small

• Love 2

PrinceOfTheStorm
45 minutes ago, Gagz4Gaga said:

I read in the news that their shopping spree of game studios is to strengthen Game Pass and xCloud. They want to be the Netflix of gaming.

This is correct.

The brand of xBox makes little profit and usually comes at a loss to Microsoft. This is usually due to the low appeal of an xBox to the foreign markets such as Japan. However since Microsoft is such a huge company this isn't really a blow to them. 

However, Game Pass and their new xCloud is their future of xBox. These are their most profitable and marketable services. If they wish to rule out the xBox as a console service, they can easily opt for publishing their games on PC and more through xCloud or Game Pass.

the prince of depression
  • Thanks 1

Knife

I still won't buy an Xbox, but I will consider playing a select few of these games on PC when they come out.

PrinceOfTheStorm

This also makes me wonder if they got more up their sleeve.

We heard Microsoft looked at several studios to buy, and I guess ZeniMax was their first choice.

Spoiler

One of the original companies rumored to be bought was SEGA and good thing that didn't happen lol. :yennefer: That'd be like Sony going through with rumored Konami purchases (or at least their IPs of Silent Hill, MGS and Castlevania.) Which for right now also didn't happen thank god.

Wonder what more they'll buy, I know they aren't gonna stop at Bethesda.

the prince of depression

Florian
2 hours ago, pedrohemg said:

The problem with MS is the fact they insist on making their "exclusives" also available for PC users. So, I already own a gaming PC and I see no reasons to buy an Xbox.

You need Windows on your PC. A Microsoft owned product. It's still an exclusive in the sense only them profit from it

Eido
1 hour ago, Da J said:

I don’t see TES becoming an X-Box exclusive anytime soon. Many players of the franchise (such as myself) play on PC. They would be shooting themselves in the foot.

But Microsoft is Pc and Xbox. Xbox Studios develop for both PC and Xbox 

pedrohemg
2 minutes ago, Florian said:

You need Windows on your PC. A Microsoft owned product. It's still an exclusive in the sense only them profit from it

But, you know most home users don't pay for Windows. It's really expensive. 

derpmonster

I don't think they'll make it Xbox exclusive. MS has been very much into cross platform play lately. They probably bought the studio for other games that they're working on that could be Xbox exclusives in the future. Not the current ones 

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live