other

Full Explanation of 911 (Bulleted)

Quartz

Featured Posts

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, st3ppy said:

I thought of her "dolls" inside "diamond boxes"; she puts a paper doll in that fancy bejeweled box, then it immediately cuts to the scene with that dolls hand in the foreground (more up close and real of course), possible signifying being "inside" the box for the next scene for a bit? It's like putting her mind/self into a safe place to guard itself from trauma to try and forget it, but it feels very real. I think of the show Mr. Robot and how it tackles PTSD in a similar way without spoiling too much...

I read the "Dolls" is a reference to her painkillers/pills because the movie "The Valley of the Dolls" people started to call Valium the "Dolls"

Vogue cites more of the surrealist nods in 911 mv

-------

Lady Gaga’s ‘911’ is a Stunning Tribute to Surreal Style 

https://www.vogue.com/slideshow/lady-gaga-911-music-video-surreal-fashion

-------

*black horseman on dunes

Reference to Jordowsky's  El Topo (https://decider.com/2020/09/18/el-topo-lady-gaga-911-video/)

"She's an intellectual, your honor"

* silver spheres and peacock

From Color of Pomegranates

This is a mv that uses the film as visuals , I believe. Clock the peacock and silver spheres.

Sneaky Oliver
2 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Great explanation, covered little bits and pieces that I didn't quite realise or questioned before. I think the bit involve the spinning umbrella was particularly cute, would never have guessed that! I'd like to know the origin of her outfits, all they traditional Armenian inspired garb or are they just random choices?

My only addition to your list is that right after the moment where her soul is leaving her body and she gets pulled back down to earth, she briefly is pulled back into reality for a split second at 2:16. It's so quick, like a subliminal message, but it's there and a good little glimpse into the future and proof that she had briefly resumed consciousness before we reach the end of the video.

Also when she gets pulled back down to earth, the white rose becomes withered because she’s not longer an ethereal being 

I’m on my Legacy Act era

CyanDante
2 hours ago, KNJ said:

*Choreo in the Red Bleeding Look -- Richy alludes to every movement having meaning. I kinda see this marionette movement and the "I'm a little teapot" dance, several hand to mouth moves and then a distinct 2 finger gesture when she says the "1-1" part. So, thinking of Gagas past, and the words of the chorus, these could be allusions to: feeling like a (plastic) doll, drinking alcohol, popping pills and or moving medics air mask, and eating disorders (two fingers to vomit).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFSbnjzFBH8tRkWyv3SSAeDY3_JTE_TmaxhFow0/?igshid=1bnht5y1jneev 

I read on twitter, that red look is supposed to represent the respiratory system. That's why the guy tries to resuscitate her by giving mouth to mouth, but her body doesn't respond, which is represented as her walking away from it. :bradley:

I'm not very good with Social Mediaᵀᴹ

1 hour ago, CyanDante said:

I read on twitter, that red look is supposed to represent the respiratory system. That's why the guy tries to resuscitate her by giving mouth to mouth, but her body doesn't respond, which is represented as her walking away from it. :bradley:

I saw that too. Don't know exactly how they figured that but the end is def cpr and her not responding. Could be all these things! Gaga's mind...:saladga:

Thought more about it: Symbolically/metaphorically: she was about to die in Joanne era (suicidal); wearing a white crop top at the end (signature Joanne look), a time where she was confused with herself and didn’t want to be “Lady Gaga”. She’s talked in recent, multiple interviews how she’d be sad about being Lady Gaga. That time of her life was very dark. The stripped back look trying to find Stefani again. Lady Gaga the persona was created after her trauma (repeated sexual assaults), right before The Fame came out, she had no time to properly heal and used Lady Gaga as a way to hide from her trauma and launch her career. Drinking/drugs to cope rather than seeking proper help and facing her past. Stefani was a direct link to her trauma experience, Lady Gaga is the persona/timeline that didn’t experience it. Eventually Lady Gaga taking a prominent role in her mind and trying to discard Stefani. Her mind was blocking it out, until it suddenly comes to her (the accident in the film). The paramedic man was wearing a ring with “XXX” and a single line, maybe “31”? Her age during Joanne? Regardless, to me, Chromatica is finally the era where she comes full circle, accepted that Lady Gaga was there to protect/shield her from the pain caused by the trauma, but it’s time to come to terms with reality and stop living in a fantasy (the dream). The brain PTSD sufferers have can stuff trauma deep in the mind to forget, until one day it comes out in full force, aka her psychotic break. 911, to me, is about Lady Gaga the persona being the enemy of her, Stefani’s mind, the thing that tried to hide her trauma. But, she needs to face it to heal and grow and be a better creative force. She can now accept what happened, and exist as Stefani and Gaga and be at peace with that. The antipsychotic she took during her psychotic break literally saved her life. She said in an interview how she wanted a "real doctor" and not a psychiatrist during her break at the hospital; it was this moment she saw that being medicated is a huge and important step in healing the mind and body from trauma that suddenly came out. It keeps her from getting lost in Lady Gaga and still be Stefani and be comfortable as Stefani, the past her that experienced the horrific sexual assault. "Pop a 911" is the drug that saved her from wanting to die and helped with her mental and physical pain, she's said many times about ending the stigma around medicating mental health and how important it is. She realizes she doesn't want to die, saying sorry for crying but she doesn't need to be sorry for anything. This is a very personal song and video and I'm so happy to see her finding happiness and peace and dealing with her pain in a healthy and responsible way (therapy, medication, reaching out to others for help), rather than alcohol, drugs, saying sorry and shutting friends out, and suicidal tendencies. <3

This entire theme/issue is SO expertly addressed in the show Mr. Robot IMO, and I highly recommend people to try to watch it. It's hard not to talk about it without spoiling it, but the main character goes through a similar experience of multiple personalities as a coping mechanism for something that happened in his life, pushing aside his true self further away...it's a beautiful show that addresses mental health in such an interesting and mind boggling way, and the twist at the end is ****ing amazing and unexpected

Look what popped up on my YouTube suggestions 😋

Color of Pomegranates: " the purpose of the film...an attempt to capture the internal world of [ the poet] and his own perception of the world around him"... "The reality of the poet is to naturally, see things poetically" 

2 hours ago, mrlemon said:

There was yellow caution tape written in another language during the black tarp scene

Yes. It says "Caution" in Armenian.

"I was protected by the monks of Azarath, I was raised by my friends. They are my family, this is my home and you are not welcome here."

5 minutes ago, HybridAT said:

Yes. It says "Caution" in Armenian.

That's great detail work right there

Gaga, Ke$ha, and Ava

o<(0_0)>o

Here are a few things from the 911 music video that you may have missed.

The woman with the blue and white dress has a staff on her hand. This represents a selfie stick that a woman has in the real world during the accident. This woman is recording Gaga as she lays in the floor. 

The two men with the blue cross looking hats represent the police. Right before Gaga starts crying in the video, you see them raise their hand to signal “stop” to incoming traffic.

The woman holding the mummy or dead body (in the real world), has glittery tears in her face in the dream section of the video.

The woman with the “pope” looking dress at some point holds a snake in the dream sequence of the video because the Red Cross of the ambulance has a snake as part of the logo.

When Gaga sings ‘keep my dolls inside diamond boxes” she puts a pin with a doll face inside the diamond box that she is holding.

Gaga injured her ankle during the accident. So during the dream section of the video, the ambulance guy grabs her ankle. 

The guy with the umbrella and the woman with the “pope” looking dress represent the ambulance. But they come down from the sky in the dream sequence because in the real world the ambulance is a helicopter. In other words, the umbrella is supposed to represent the ambulance/helicopter. That is why the guy spins the umbrella just like the helicopter spins its wing blades. 

Gaga also probably chose the ambulance woman to look like a pope because the Red Cross of the ambulance reminds her of the Christian religious symbol. 

Gaga is supposed to be the dancer in the White Sand poster. If you look at the poster, the pose of the woman is very similar to the poses Gaga makes during the dream sequence of the video. The dress of the woman in the poster is also very similar to the one Gaga wears at the start of the video. 

Gaga’s red outfit in the video probably represents blood. If you look at her forehead when she is wearing the red outfit, it looks like blood is dripping from her forehead. 

The people wearing the orange/yellow outfits during the dream section of the video represent the firefighters in the real world. In the real world the firefighters have the number 96 in their helmets, but in the dream sections the hats of the orange/yellow people have the number 911 in Roman numerals. 

Archived