🎄 December Fan Mail 🎄

🙏 Hey guys! Please take a second to like and leave a comment on this video, we'd really appreciate it! 🙏
Sign in to follow this  
tech

Apple pulls Fortnite from App Store

LORD GAGA
15 minutes ago, gagaxsebert said:

So Apple takes 30% of Spotify premium subs on iPhones? That’s shady cause streaming isn’t that profitable and Spotify is competing with AM on an iPhone.

Does this apply for apps like shops where you place orders?

OT; I was on Apple’s side because Fortnite signed up for that but after reading this, nah 

It wouldn’t make good business sense to allow a competitor app or any app for that matter to go onto the App Store with no way for Apple to make anything from it... every app on the App Store, Apple makes its money from them by either in app purchases or through the ad platform in some apps. 

CaliLilMonster
22 minutes ago, gagaxsebert said:

So Apple takes 30% of Spotify premium subs on iPhones? That’s shady cause streaming isn’t that profitable and Spotify is competing with AM on an iPhone.

Does this apply for apps like shops where you place orders?

OT; I was on Apple’s side because Fortnite signed up for that but after reading this, nah 

Spotify used to have a 30% higher price for those that subbed through the app but now tell people to subscribe through the web at the normal price.

frederiickx
Posted (edited)

I mean Epic Games is in the wrong. They agreed to this when Apple store carried their apps, and they deserve a cut as well. Epic Games won't win against Apple's lawyers and especially since they are the ones that broke the rules.

2 hours ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

Fortnite has 350 million players around the world. If you don't think this will hurt Apples income you are wrong. 

Apple makes millions from so many other things, this will not hurt them at all. It will hurt Epic Games, though!

Edited by frederiickx

JusKeepBreathin
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, CaliLilMonster said:

But that limitation for Apple devices isn't new, it's the same as it's been for the past decade. If you don't like that you don't have to buy their phone. Plenty of other manufactures of phones to choose from with their own app stores. The lack of choice is literally a selling point of iPhones for some people, as a trade off for increased privacy and security.

Increased privacy and security? What are you avoiding being caught on some tax evasion scam?

The point is if you want an app as an Apple user you must pay extra. There is absolutely no way around it. Even though the content of those apps do not belong to Apple. 

One thing it to over charge for an iPhone or a Mac but they put absolutely no work on an App and still get to tax Apple users 30% because there is no way of getting it elsewhere if your an Apple user. It's very ridiculous.

Edited by JusKeepBreathin
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.
  • Like 1

JusKeepBreathin
8 minutes ago, frederiickx said:

I mean Epic Games is in the wrong. They agreed to this when Apple store carried their apps, and they deserve a cut as well. Epic Games won't win against Apple's lawyers and especially since they are the ones that broke the rules.

Apple makes millions from so many other things, this will not hurt them at all. It will hurt Epic Games, though!

Yeah like slowing down their phones to force people into upgrading. Seems totally legit for a company to do that.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

POPARTHD
56 minutes ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

Yeah but the App for Android is still available. In other words there are other ways to get it. There isn't another way for Apple users to get it. That's why it's a monopoly. 

If they didn’t agree with the monopoly why did they sign up to have it on the AppStore in the first place? Doesn’t make sense to me that you agree on something to only then defy it later..

derpmonster
2 hours ago, PopEmergency said:

Sooo why exactly is Epic pissed?

They are using the app store, owned by apple. The rules are in place for everyone without exceptions.

They did something against these rules and are surprised? :ladyhaha:

+ it seems like a stunt, how can they have a video pretty much ready as response already?

It's manufactured but the rules are unfair and people are allowed to speak up about that. in the US, Apple has a monopoly on mobile marketshare and so it's reasonable to criticize Apple's closure of their platform to the point where everyone must share profits with them to reach people.

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

derpmonster
6 minutes ago, POPARTHD said:

If they didn’t agree with the monopoly why did they sign up to have it on the AppStore in the first place? Doesn’t make sense to me that you agree on something to only then defy it later..

If I willfully sign up for health insurance through my employer, I can't complain about my paycheck being cut for it? I can't advocate for universal healthcare?

• Thanks 1

derpmonster
1 hour ago, Doot said:

I think Epic is in the wrong for signing up to be on Apples App Store, fully knowing the rules, and then bypassing them because they didn't agree with them. I'm not saying Apples rules aren't BS, but imo Epic is still in the wrong for breaking the rules.

If they didn't like Apples rules, they shouldn't have agreed to put their app on Apples app store.

You're ignoring the very important fact that, in the US, Apple has a monopoly on mobile device marketshare. That complicates the picture. They can't afford not to put their app on iOS then. Whether or not they want to, they have to, to survive as a business. There's a reason antitrust laws exist and anti-competitive behavior is considered illegal. The whole "go to a different platform" mentality is a hyper-capitalistic talking point that ignores the realities like people being compelled or coerced towards certain platforms.

And Apple's policies are unfair and should absolutely be questioned. I'm not sure why you insist so much on the "breaking rules is wrong" aspect when unfair rules should, in fact, be broken. As for willfully signing up, I addressed that above.

Doot
Just now, derpmonster said:

You're ignoring the very important fact that, in the US, Apple has a monopoly on mobile device marketshare. That complicates the picture. They can't afford not to put their app on iOS then. Whether or not they want to, they have to, to survive as a business. There's a reason antitrust laws exist and anti-competitive behavior is considered illegal. The whole "go to a different platform" mentality is a hyper-capitalistic talking point that ignores the realities like people being compelled or coerced towards certain platforms.

And Apple's policies are unfair and should absolutely be questioned. I'm not sure why you insist so much on the "breaking rules is wrong" aspect when unfair rules should, in fact, be broken. As for willfully signing up, I addressed that above.

So is the goal for Epic to publicly drag Apple in an effort to get them to change the rules and become more fair?

derpmonster
1 minute ago, Doot said:

So is the goal for Epic to publicly drag Apple in an effort to get them to change the rules and become more fair?

If it works, why not? Apple may not change rules regardless until they're compelled to by a court of law anyway. And they're suing them - it's not just all talk.

Doot
6 minutes ago, derpmonster said:

If it works, why not? Apple may not change rules regardless until they're compelled to by a court of law anyway. And they're suing them - it's not just all talk.

I don't disagree. 

POPARTHD
51 minutes ago, derpmonster said:

If I willfully sign up for health insurance through my employer, I can't complain about my paycheck being cut for it? I can't advocate for universal healthcare?

Geez, so now we’re comparing a futile game to healthcare? What? :bear:

gagaxsebert

I’m not on Apple’s side but Epic Games is being so messy with this. 

Like they’re a company & they’re riling up fans with #FreeFortnite and dragging up some Apple 1984 drama. So unprofessional 

Used to be HighRoad

SamanthaC

Oh kids will have to do their distance learning work now. :ladyhaha:

The Adele of GGD's Member & Rain on Me Awards 2020
  • LMAO 1