🚨 Watch the video for 911 🚨

💌 The September fan envelope is here! 💌
Sign in to follow this  
society

Singer sentenced to death

RenegAde

A musician in Nigeria's northern state of Kano has been sentenced to death by hanging for blaspheming against the Prophet Muhammad

An upper Sharia court in the Hausawa Filin Hockey area of the state said Yahaya Sharif-Aminu, 22, was guilty of committing blasphemy for a song he circulated via WhatsApp in March.

Mr Sharif-Aminu did not deny the charges.

States across Muslim-majority northern Nigeria use both secular law and Sharia law, which does not apply to non-Muslims.

The singer who is currently in detention, had gone into hiding after he composed the song.Protestors had burnt down his family home and gathered outside the headquarters of the Islamic police, known as the Hisbah, demanding action against him.

The leader of the protesters that called for the musician's arrest in March, Idris Ibrahim, told the BBC that the judgement will serve as a warning to others "contemplating toeing Yahaya's path"."When I heard about the judgment I was so happy because it showed our protest wasn't in vain.

"This [judgement] will serve as a deterrent to others who feel they could insult our religion or prophet and go scot-free," he said.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-africa-53726256

• Sad 21

Ryusei

Insane. What kind of 18th century bs

Stan Fujii Kaze
  • Like 1

21st Century Karen

Another murder in the name of religion.

3UL.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Pennywise

As I said before, institutionalized religion is disgusting in every form. Yes, even the "peaceful" forms. There is no peace apart from personal peace with religion. It is simply not possible. 

YOUR GOD IS NOT HERE MICHAEL NOR WILL HE EVER BE
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

ice bear
14 minutes ago, RenegAde said:

When I heard about the judgment I was so happy

:sick:

ice bear = best bear
  • Thanks 1

Daylight Jokers

That's just disgusting. :green:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dollardays

Extremism killing people everyday and everywhere... Sigh

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Delulu Rogers

Barbaric people at it again. How is it justifiable to kill someone in the name of religion in people's mind? Can't the UN or something do anything?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

myluis617
Posted (edited)

Religion man, these cults take things too far at times. 

Edited by myluis617
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21st Century Karen
Just now, Delulu Rogers said:

Barbaric people at it again. How is it justifiable to kill someone in the name of religion in people's mind? Can't the UN or something do anything?

The UN is kind of useless institution, I wonder it still exists. League of Nations 2.0

TerrenceV2
Posted (edited)

This is HORRIBLE.

Poor guy. :ohno: I can’t believe in 2020 this can be happening in the world. This is what happens when religion rules. Death, and violence in the name of a fictional figure.

Edited by TerrenceV2
playground love - josef salvat
  • Like 1

RAMROD

That's stupid af. Like, I'm sorry, that law is is barbaric and not relevant to life today anymore. Other than that, can more country have free speech please? :fail:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ ♥
  • Like 1

PunkTheFunk
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Delulu Rogers said:

5 minutes ago, Trillion Reasons said:

The UN is kind of useless institution, I wonder it still exists. League of Nations 2.0

The UN is primarily a peacekeeping organization on an international scale (i.e. being a forum for countries to have discussions and resolve disputes diplomatically so that something like WWII doesn't happen again). I don't know if they can really do anything about human rights violations in specific countries, other than condemning them.

Edited by PunkTheFunk
  • Sad 1

21st Century Karen
1 minute ago, PunkTheFunk said:

The UN is primarily a peacekeeping organization on an international scale. I don't know if they can really do anything about human rights violations in specific countries, other than condemning them.

That's why I said the UN is useless. :yennefer: For example, this is one of powers of the General Assembly: 
Make recommendations for the peaceful settlement of any situation that might impair friendly relations among countries

I understand, every state is sovereign but what's the point in the existence of the UN if it can't do anything, but make a recommendation of condemn? :yennefer: