🚨 Watch the video for 911 🚨

💌 The September fan envelope is here! 💌
Sign in to follow this  
society

Restaurant Refuses Tips... Says It's Right Thing For Staff

Economy

https://globalnews.ca/news/7246794/toronto-restaurant-ends-tipping/amp/

A Toronto Restaurant is rethinking the tipping culture and has decided the right thing to do is to build in the extra cost already included into the services and refuse extra tips but pay the workers a higher wage

The owner says the reason for this is that a higher non-tip salary is better for employees for a number of different reasons. Not only with a more predictable less volatile income, but also better benefits

In cases such as when layoffs, sick leave or in the case of pandemic income replacement benefits is required... Raw hourly payroll income tends to make it easier for employees to apply for benefits and get a fair calculation to what they are entitled to whereas tipping income tends to get messy

According to the restaurant owner North America where tipping is the norm in almost every service industry should rethink this culture and just charge a full price without tips and pay a full wage without tip variable like every other industry

• Like 6
  • YAAAS 4

littlepotter

As it should be

• Like 8

Doot

I sort of agree with this. 

These positions normally pay you under minimum wage because they state that you can make more overall in tips, but that doesn't ring true for most places. 

Workers should get a fair wage, and stop screwing over the employees. It's also annoying as a customer that you are expected to pay more than what's listed on the menu. 

ᴡᴀꜱ ɪᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴏᴏɢᴇʏᴍᴀɴ?
  • Like 6

GagaSine

This is the practice already in a lot of countries and I think it’s a good idea. However I don’t think most people here are ready to pay so much extra for food unfortunately. 

• Like 2

Economy
4 minutes ago, GagaSine said:

This is the practice already in a lot of countries and I think it’s a good idea. However I don’t think most people here are ready to pay so much extra for food unfortunately. 

Well if u pay the tip u are already paying for it anyway

And it's true. In Portugual where I used to live it's not a major thing. Sometimes people might give like 1 or 2 euros to say thank-you but it's not expected

And 1 or 2 euros would still be seen as a nice gratuity even if it was a large family dining and the bill was 100 euros which would make that too 1% or 2%

• Like 1

GagaSine
1 minute ago, Economy said:

Well if u pay the tip u are already paying for it anyway

And it's true. In Portugual where I used to live it's not a major thing. Sometimes people might give like 1 or 2 euros to say thank-you but it's not expected

And 1 or 2 euros would still be seen as a nice gratuity even if it was a large family dining and the bill was 100 euros which would make that too 1% or 2%

Yeah but for me I don’t ‘think’ about the tip when I order food, it is just something I do automatically so I don’t factor it into the cost. But if the dishes are suddenly $5-10 more expensive it would discourage me from ordering it. But maybe I would get used to it eventually.

• Like 1

Red

Some restaurants here in my city are like that

says Campbell, chuckling.

Economy
1 minute ago, GagaSine said:

Yeah but for me I don’t ‘think’ about the tip when I order food, it is just something I do automatically so I don’t factor it into the cost. But if the dishes are suddenly $5-10 more expensive it would discourage me from ordering it. But maybe I would get used to it eventually.

I always think about it lol but I guess it's cuz I'm a very technical and mathematical person :enigma:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Economy
13 minutes ago, amarata said:

they just want attention from the media :D

It's possible :enigma:

GagaSine
1 minute ago, Economy said:

I always think about it lol but I guess it's cuz I'm a very technical and mathematical person :enigma:

I literally never think about it until it is time to pay and then I just think about how much I can give without going broke lmao

• Like 2

President Biden

Hmmm. I mean obviously I 100% agree with paying them higher wages to begin with, esp if the company can afford to. But I also disagree with not letting any additional tip. I think tips are a fair way to reward those that put in the extra effort to be good employees. It’s pretty standard in the US that even a bad waiter still gets a 10-15% tip regardless. But if someone is truly exceptional and does things like deals with special food needs or is super polite and talkative, I generally like to reward them with a substantially higher tip. And then sometimes I know people that when they do large group meals for like athletic teams or the Drama club, they sometimes will band together to give the waitress a really excessive tip of like $1,000. So idk if banning tips is a good idea, because I know a lot of family that was able to save up large sums of $ via going above and beyond for tips.

I got drunk
  • Like 3

SabadoDeGloria
10 minutes ago, Doot said:

I sort of agree with this. 

These positions normally pay you under minimum wage because they state that you can make more overall in tips, but that doesn't ring true for most places. 

Workers should get a fair wage, and stop screwing over the employees. It's also annoying as a customer that you are expected to pay more than what's listed on the menu. 

I'm all for this, as I've worked in both a restaurant that is tip-based and one that is hourly-based. The benefit of an hourly based pay restaurant is that there's a lot more teamwork involved. Waiters are more inclined to stop and service a table in need of extra water, an order, etc., when we're all getting base pay. And people still generally tip for good service, it's just much less (maybe 10% or less). 

I do take issue with you saying that making more in tips "doesn't ring true for most places." Site a source, because working in several restaurants I've never found that to be true. In general, I made more when tipped. I can get paid $15/hour but if I'm working three tables within an hour I'm usually making anywhere from $20-40 on those tables based on tips. Some of that'll get spread around to hosts, etc, but I still generally end up with more than what I'd make hourly. Three tables for an hour is on the slower side too. I'd say the only time you probably would make equal-to hourly or less is during a slow period (like working at 4pm), but usually a shift will have the lunch or dinner rush. Even when you get stiffed on a tip, which sucks, you generally make it up elsewhere. 

Again, I'm all for hourly. I think the uptick in menu price probably ends up being equal to or less than what most people give out in tip. There's comfort in knowing you're gonna get paid that $15 or more an hour whereas tips can be unpredictable. It lessens the fight for evening and holiday shifts and creates more teamwork oriented environments. And, if you perform well, you still get small tips from customers. The only issue I can think of is that minimum wage certain places, like the US/some of their states, is very low and some restaurants may just bump wait staff to minimum wage. 

Donate to your local bail fund: https://bailfunds.github.io/
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

PartySick

What you think of this depends on how you think about tips. Are they a gratuity given to a worker that provided good service to you? Or are they just ways to force customers to make up for the low wages given to workers by a greedy business?

Honestly, I'd like for tipping to be a thing still but tipped workers deserve to make the same amount that others make and be eligible for benefits and fulltime work. Tips should be an additional bonus, not something they need to live.

Minimum wage in the US is $7.50 an hour but employers are only required to give tipped workers $2.13 an hour. What kind of bullsh*t is that :toofunny:

🇲ake🇦ssholes🇬o🇦way
  • Like 1
  • Shook 1

Economy
2 minutes ago, PartySick said:

What you think of this depends on how you think about tips. Are they a gratuity given to a worker that provided good service to you? Or are they just ways to force customers to make up for the low wages given to workers by a greedy business?

Honestly, I'd like for tipping to be a thing still but tipped workers deserve to make the same amount that others make and be eligible for benefits and fulltime work. Tips should be an additional bonus, not something they need to live.

Minimum wage in the US is $7.50 an hour but employers are only required to give tipped workers $2.13 an hour. What kind of bullsh*t is that :toofunny:

If they got payed the same as other workers tho why still be entitled to bonus tho?

Other industries don't get these bonuses :enigma:

Also side question how many States have a minimum wage that low tho? Here in Canada the Federal Minimum Wage is essentially meaningless as every Province has theirs set above Federal Minimum

RenegAde

I've  been vocal about how the fact that tipping is such necessity in some countries  is bizarre to me . Why the hell aren't these  business paying their staff well enough that they need to rely on tips

• Thanks 1