opinion

LotR movies aged like milk

River

Featured Posts

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dynamite

I tried to watch it but I fell asleep 3 times during it and it was still on when I woke up.:saladga:

ctherainbow

The LotR movies aged like gold; tarnished a little, but still incredibly valuable.  These movies are iconic for so many reasons, and honestly?  The Galadriel sequence is one of the moments in my life when I’ve almost felt str8.    :shrug: 

I'm talkin' 'bout forever, baby.

Judas Oyster
16 hours ago, River said:

I mean, you can't tell me that this scene didn't age bad:

I mean I still love the movies, it's just some scenes looks very bad now

funny cuz as I kid I was got so extremely scared by this. So horrendous and devil.

But I did remember it looked weird. When I saw the movies again I remember thinking this specific CGI looks so bad. I was surprised.

But otherwise I still think most of the CGI and physical special effects are good.

i agree that the cgi quality takes the movie down a couple notches BUT if you sort of like accept it in a way it becomes a part of the charm of the movie. It feels very much like when you re watch a retro movie (Even though it's not old enough to be very retro in a way). 

DeanWinchester
16 hours ago, Rosalina said:

Are you watching something else entirely? The LOTR movies have aged extraordinarily well because they DIDN’T rely too much on CGI, (the orcs and uruk-hai for example). Every time I watch them, they still feel like they were made recently, and I completely forget that these films are nearly 20 years old. They’re absolutely timeless.

16 hours ago, Rosalina said:

Movie series released 20 years ago based on a book that was published by an English man in the 1950s in a country with a 99% white population doesn’t have a non-white person in it... well colour me shocked

16 hours ago, BrownEyess said:

No. They aged very well. Most movies and TV shows wish they could be them. Star Wars aged poorly and had horrible sequels  

I signed it literally just to co-sign these posts. And I will probably want to co-sign more in the next pages. LotR is a masterpiece in literature and film making.

original.gif

Flyin' like a 1000 Doves

DeanWinchester
16 hours ago, Varys said:

Even tho I like you we cant talk after this. Any LotR slander and I cut you out my life. Chile lemme put a few barbarians on my ignore list :lana:

16 hours ago, TheSlash said:

No, it didn't. Maybe your taste aged like milk :reductive:

16 hours ago, Pennywise said:

I will not tolerate any LOTR slander :triggered:

Lotr is anything but basic and bland.

like the dept that that world has the characters the dialogues the back stories the lore the universe ugh.:tony::giveup:

16 hours ago, BrownEyess said:

I love Harry Potter but it would never have existed without LOTR. The inspiration she took from it when writing HP is essential to the story 

No shade I love Harry Potter but that universe is way more simplistic and child like then the Well thought out detail oriented world Tolkien created

16 hours ago, Killa said:

Yes love but im a lotr stan. In real live id eat ur peach. And humiliate u:bear:

16 hours ago, Sanju said:

I feel the COMPLETE opposite. I think for the time they were made it looks FANTASTIC today. 

16 hours ago, Jose P said:

I want what you’re on gurl, gimme some of that. I think the movies still look incredible. And it’s not the nostalgia talking, I was like 3 when the last movie came out. I didn’t watch them when they came out, and I think they still look amazing :vegas:

16 hours ago, Jose P said:

Basic and bland? I want you to write a world as complex as Middle Earth lol. You do realize that JRR Tolkien literally invented completely new languages for the story? It’s probably one of the most complex and elaborate stories not just of the fantasy genre, but of literature in general.

16 hours ago, Mister Gaga said:

Although LoTR is not my cup of tea, i do believe that the movies are some of (if not the most) the best movies Hollywood (the industry) has ever released.

Everything is on point: the attention to detail, casting, faithfullness to the books, consistency, develompent, cinematographic quality...very rarely a mega blockbuster turns out this great, with every single movie on the trilogy being inmaculate.

15 hours ago, gumzy3000 said:

You'r joking right?! :laughga:

The LOTR trilogy still stands strong today. The cinematography, effects, makeup, costumes and set designs create such a surreal experience. Did you watch it in bad quality or something? 

14 hours ago, gumzy3000 said:

It's not really cringe when you realize that LOTR is set in a medieval style fantasy world. Also, LOTR was written a while ago and needless to say, books written further in time had a lot more sophistication and dramatic effect.

And anyways, LOTR is a masterpiece and one of the biggest blockbusters of all time. It is not going to have ordinary, everyday dialogue. It's meant to be a bit dramatic without being over the top. It's almost poetic in a way and it does feel epic in the context of the LOTR world.

I also want to add that it has a consistent serious vibe so it does not seem out of the blue. Hearing a line like "a storm is brewing in the east. The age of man is nearing its end" may sound weird in Twilight or Harry Potter, for example, but not in LOTR. 

14 hours ago, Poltergeist said:

Actually I rewatched it this year after at least 10 years, and I was amazed how great it still was 

14 hours ago, melon said:

I adore LOTR because it’s such an incredibly detailed universe with 7000+ years of history thought out beyond the books, creation myths and languages it is just a feat of modern literature and a seminal fictional work that is the basis for ALL modern fantasy works whether they realise it or not

the movies introduced me to this universe and that’s why I love them, they could look like poo and I’d still love them but luckily they don’t and I think they hold up incredibly well. plus Christopher Lee and Ian McKellen :diane:

14 hours ago, NoahSuns said:

GO BACK TO THE SHADOWDog Lol GIF

13 hours ago, Lona Delery said:

id disagree. i think if you released these movies today, noone would think all of this was done almost 20 years ago

At the risk of getting warned for possible spam, I just want to say you're all cool people. I would have second breakfast with all of you.

Flyin' like a 1000 Doves

DeanWinchester
9 hours ago, elijahfan said:

the biggest mistakes were doing 3 movies out of a single book, the CGI overdose and the constant throwbacks to past material

Yes, thank you! The only part I really liked in the Hobbit is the Battle of Dol Guldur, which wasn't elaborated in the books. It was nice to see @Curunir fight for the good guys.

hkcknd14uqa31.png?auto=webp&s=30eb16cd6e

8 hours ago, Fanta said:

The only issue I had with the films when I rewatched them was the lack of female characters, mainly because I adored Arwen and I love me a good strong female character. However, I guess it couldn’t be helped based on the books.

Don't forget Eowyn! And this wasn't female empowerment the same way many shows force it these days. She actually is trained to fight as a shieldmaiden and went to great lengths to protect her king. She's flawed and without any superpowers but rose up to the occasion.

19fcadf8452d4aba33518aac286715e5.jpg

and Galadriel is the strongest being (after Sauron) in Middle Earth during the third age

450?cb=20151015204512

Flyin' like a 1000 Doves

Fanta
10 minutes ago, DeanWinchester said:

Yes, thank you! The only part I really liked in the Hobbit is the Battle of Dol Guldur, which wasn't elaborated in the books. It was nice to see @Curunir fight for the good guys.

hkcknd14uqa31.png?auto=webp&s=30eb16cd6e

Don't forget Eowyn! And this wasn't female empowerment the same way many shows force it these days. She actually is trained to fight as a shieldmaiden and went to great lengths to protect her king. She's flawed and without any superpowers but rose up to the occasion.

19fcadf8452d4aba33518aac286715e5.jpg

and Galadriel is the strongest being (after Sauron) in Middle Earth during the third age

450?cb=20151015204512

Eowen was amazing and I do alternate between Galadriel and Arwen as my faves (mainly because fo Cate Blanchett's impeccable depiction of Galadriel and the Nazgul chase scene with Arwen), however I just wish it wasn't only these three female characters in the films/books.

Also, not sure if you knew but if you didn't: Arwen was filmed participating in the battle of Helm's Deep. They cut out her scene later on because allegedly parts of it leaked and there was a huge backlash for her incorporation of it in the films. I believe she was nowhere in the mix in the books. Would've been epic to see, hopefully they release it in a later edition of the film along with many other deleted scenes like Arwen's interaction with Galadriel.

Mugiwara No Luffy
17 hours ago, River said:

I mean, you can't tell me that this scene didn't age bad:

I mean I still love the movies, it's just some scenes looks very bad now

it looks cool (?) 

elijahfan
25 minutes ago, DeanWinchester said:

I was thoroughly excited about the whole Dol Guldur subplot and couldn’t wait to see how it would all culminate in BotFA. Unfortunately, I feel like it was a bit of a letdown... Once again, too many visual throwbacks: it was like the Weathertop all over again, with a dash of dark Galadriel sprinkled with the Sauron silhouette we all know. I wanted it to be more unique, and thought it was actually introduced well in the first 2 films. I wish we could have seen Sauron’s real form. But they sticked to what was visually established in LotR...

elijahfan
9 hours ago, Fanta said:

The only issue I had with the films when I rewatched them was the lack of female characters, mainly because I adored Arwen and I love me a good strong female character. However, I guess it couldn’t be helped based on the books.

And believe me, Peter Jackson was aware of that and fought for Arwen to be a bigger character than she was in the books. Actually, he struggled a lot to include her in The Two Towers, and even planned to make her fight at Helm’s Deep at some point. He ended up settling on the idea of visions and memories from Aragorn. I’m basically trying to say that it could have been worse if they had stuck to the books and they very much tried to fix the issue...

Archived