Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Is that the reason why Taylor released "Folklore" last week?

Teletubby

Is that the reason why Taylor released "Folklore" last week?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Is that the reason why Taylor released "Folklore" last week?

• yes
    • no

Featured Posts

Teletubby

Not so long time ago Billboard announced new bundle-banning chart rules.
Do you think Taylor just try to get last huge sale number before new rules will go into effect? 

She is selling 7 of 8 editions with digital album only for 1 week so people feel it it something special and need to buy fast.
Selling it from July 24 to July 30 also let her avoid this new rule:
New rules governing the bundling of physical albums or singles with immediate digital downloads will also go into effect on Aug. 7. From that date forward, any physical album or single sold with a digital download will not be counted as a digital sale and will only be counted as a physical sale upon shipment to the customer. In cases where multiple physical formats of the same album or single are bundled with digital downloads, only the first physical format that is fulfilled to the customer will be counted.

She also has a lot of merch + digital album (with annotation items available separately for purchase) that wouldn’t count to album sale if she would release "Folklore" later this year. Some of items are available only for 2 days so she uses time pressure on her fans to get bigger sale.
There is new rule:
As for merchandise/album bundles, beginning Oct. 9, no further sales of albums can be reported if bundled with merchandise, even if the album and merchandise are available à la carte. Albums scheduled for release on or before Oct. 8 can report sales generated from the bundles, but only through Oct. 8.
Albums slated for release on or after Oct. 9 cannot report any sales generated from a merchandise bundle -- merchandise being defined as anything that is not the album itself, including (but not limited to) clothing, paper goods, accessories, virtual items, concert presale codes, contest entries with No Purchase Necessary entrance options and fan club access.

There are sources saying that Lover, exclusive merchandise available through Target accounted for 40% of the first week total of 867k.
If she would release album later her first week sale for sure would be big but if other huge artist like Rihanna, Adele will release too she would lost to them for sure.

i'm just a baby and @Juanlittlem is my ❀*·ꕤ. ☁️eternal enemy🌩️。˚❀

Andreu

Imo it's clear she wanted to milk this one last time before the new rule starts in October (which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it's just a way to boost the numbers, it is what it is) but I think she chose this specific date bc of Kanye.

Yes she probably had already made the orders and when Billboard changed the rules they rushed to release it.

yes and

Well, Gaga needs to rush to release the Chromatica deluxe next week :vegas:

Did you think I'd show up in a limousine? No

hpmcmill

I love Taylor.... but yes, I had the same theory lol. Boss queen.... making the coin. 

StrawberryBlond

1. She wanted to make use of bundles before the new rules came into effect (so yes).

2. She wanted to go head-to-head with Kanye's debut week and win (so glad he didn't give her the satisfaction).

3. She's afraid to go up against big names that are coming in 2021 (Adele, Billie, Ed, Beyonce?) and wanted to be the reigning female artist of 2020.

i said what i said nene leakes GIF

Varys
1 hour ago, StrawberryBlond said:

1. She wanted to make use of bundles before the new rules came into effect (so yes).

2. She wanted to go head-to-head with Kanye's debut week and win (so glad he didn't give her the satisfaction).

3. She's afraid to go up against big names that are coming in 2021 (Adele, Billie, Ed, Beyonce?) and wanted to be the reigning female artist of 2020.

i said what i said nene leakes GIF

tenor.gif

Banned 04/19/2020 - 04/19/2020

StrawberryBlond
3 minutes ago, Varys said:

tenor.gif

That I don't give a f what anyone says about it even if they try to shame me for having said opinion.

monstertoronto

For sure, I thought the exact same thing, and its smart of her to do it.  Get those bundles numbers now, and she is being very smart about her merch. Releasing certain collections that are only available for 48 hours is totally going to drive sales for her fans, and the countdown clock right on her site adds to the sense of urgency and scarcity.  Katy should move up her release to make sure she can use the bundles too.  

Genuine Guy 09

Hmm something tells me there's gonna be another big release in August. Katy moved her album and Taylor released now. Oh, and then Billie releasing all of a sudden? It's like they are avoiding August altogether 

Stare at the Chartster in the mirror they talk to me too. #StreamFunTonight

Varys
4 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

That I don't give a f what anyone says about it even if they try to shame me for having said opinion.

unapologetic queen :giveup:

Banned 04/19/2020 - 04/19/2020

weed

That’s interesting they won’t be counting ANY merch bundles, I thought they would if there was an option to buy product without the album? Billboard wants streaming to take over confirmed :sis:

I’d say probably yes, considering it’s a surprise release which could have come out at any time. 

Archived