music news

Simon Falk won’t do predictions anymore

Gagz4Gaga

Featured Posts

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Regina George

Soon enough the only "relevant" thing will be streams and songs with most streams will be on top which is such a shame. I truly believe that streaming is the death of music industry. 

I explained what I meant in the reply I made in this thread after this one so please don't quote me. 

Bonkers

Maybe it's OK if music stops being a competition like it's a sports competition.  Maybe it's good if people listen to the artists they like and not get so personally invested in who's "winning".   Maybe people should find their own success instead of relying on validation from backing the right pop princess?

Remember to like and subscribe, and click on the bell icon to get the latest updates

WildAmerican

I mean it's probably very time consuming and not too lucrative. Plus he just has Stans fighting in his replies all the time, creating a toxic environment, so it makes sense 

Admin
24 minutes ago, Regina George said:

Soon enough the only "relevant" thing will be streams and songs with most streams will be on top which is such a shame. I truly believe that streaming is the death of music industry. 

It's the opposite actually. Streaming gave new life to the music industry, and 2019 was its biggest year since 2004, thanks to streaming. "songs with most streams will be on top" is exactly how charts should be because streaming is how pretty much everyone consumes music in 2020.

IAmNotHere1997
15 minutes ago, Regina George said:

I disagree. Streaming is a revolution in the technology and music industry. Music is more accessible than ever for everyone, just with the power of internet. You can organize what to listen to, you discover so much new music based on genres you like, genres similar to what you like. So many possibilites. Back in the day you'd only have the radio, CDs, mp3 players, iTunes. You'd only listen to what is given and served to you by labels and stuff. But now you have the power to choose what to listen to more freely than ever. I suppose your comment reffers to hip-hop music and mumble rappers storming the charts? Well, times change, and so is the music, the trends, what's hot, what's the sh*t. We can't change that. New jack swing was popular for some time, bubblegum pop was popular for some time, dubstep was popular for some time, etc.

weed

I’m surprised it’s not the constant backlash from stans whenever their fave’s song isn’t as successful as they want :diane: 

sucks he’s stopping, the landscape is changing. I don’t think streaming is ruining anything apart from the fact that a song can be on 20,000 playlists while others on none (which will obviously skew which is more successful by no fault of the song’s quality). 

Admin
3 minutes ago, gabrielflorin01 said:

I disagree. Streaming is a revolution in the technology and music industry. Music is more accessible than ever for everyone, just with the power of internet. You can organize what to listen to, you discover so much new music based on genres you like, genres similar to what you like. So many possibilites. Back in the day you'd only have the radio, CDs, mp3 players, iTunes. You'd only listen to what is given and served to you by labels and stuff.

This, exactly. Streaming is the best thing that could happen to the music industry, especially for new and independent artists. Look at Lil Nas X, all he did was upload his song to Spotify for $20 without any labels, and it became one of the biggest hits in history.

EthelDee

Streaming has revived the industry, but has killed the fun of chart watching. Not a bad trade off honestly.

Sorcerer

Streaming is making music more accessible in a legal way, and we have to recognize that. It's not the death of music at all, but it certainly makes the landscape more fluid and unpredictable.

It is a fact that a lot of people don't even listen to many chart hits. This is also an effect of easier access to music. It's not that charts no longer matter, but they definitely do not represent massive popularity as much as before.

I far prefer streaming. 

While I still collect vinyls, more just to collect, I have no interest in having to purchase a full CD, especially if I only like a few songs. Or even one. 

I don't even have a CD player. 

That's exactly why I have listened to Love Me Right a total of two times because I have zero interest in having to go buy an entirely different version of an album, locate a CD player, just to listen. Just put the full album on streaming platforms. 

Morphine Prince
40 minutes ago, Regina George said:

How? Why? I seriously don't understand this logic tbh.

What is so bad about the songs with ACTUAL DEMAND charting? Imo streams shows what people are ACTUALLY listening to. Buying a song doesn't mean you're listening to it. Radio shoves the same 5 songs down your throat.

Streaming captures what is actually trending and it is a legal, accessible way for people to consume music. Before streaming blew up in like 2014 most people would just illegally download music. 

Of course sales have gone down but that's just because the landscape is changing. 

I'm not sure people who think streaming is so awful would say the same if their fave was on top of the charts and a streaming monster. 

Archived