⚔️ CHROMATICA OUT NOW ⚔️

Follow us on TikTok
Sign in to follow this  
society

Half of Portuguese residents open to living alongside wolves

FfFfFfFF

EY3t5ajXYAEqXiG.jpg

Studies estimate that the Portuguese population of Iberian wolf (a subspecies of grey wolf) currently totals between 250-300 animals, divided in two by the Douro. While the subpopulation north of the Douro is larger and more stable, south of the Douro there are only a handful of scattered packs. A lack of natural prey (such as roe deer) means these packs have no choice but to prey on livestock, which causes conflict with farmers and often results in the animal’s persecution.

To better understand people’s attitudes to the Iberian wolf south of the Douro, and inform measures to support the animal’s existence and comeback, the Rewilding Portugal team conducted an eight-month study of public attitudes, ending in April 2020. Almost half of those interviewed were open to living alongside wolves, but only under certain conditions.

The new study, which was carried out by trained interviewers, engaged nearly 120 stakeholders from different communities, including livestock breeders, shepherds, hunting managers, local authorities, conservation practitioners and organisers of nature activities. The semi-structured interviews aimed to identify social barriers to wolves in the region and understand interests and context. Topics such as local knowledge, emotions, beliefs and compensation payments were all up for discussion.

Source

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 1
  • Shook 1

GregJA

I thought this was going to be living WITH wolves and i was going to say half the residents would be all thats left after the wolves got them :green:

nice to see this though :heart:

Mr. No Award Winner 2020

Maleficent

482972-bigthumbnail.jpg
rare pic of the author of this study 

Dramatica
Posted (edited)

Well, wolves are very territorial, and they won't choose a territory already "conquered" by humans. They don't consider us rivals, nor preys, nor predators. So why don't we just leave them live their f***ing life? Without hunting them?

And also, to anyone still thinking that humankind has "empathy" when we disseminated/hunt/chased most of the living creatures:

sure jan GIF

Edited by Dramatica
I didn't ask for a free ride, I only asked you to show me a real good time.

Seeka

*secretly begins erotic alpha/beta/omega story about Portuguese boys who live amongst wolves*