question

Why doesn’t Grace Jones have a hit

Lighter

Featured Posts

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cavadour

Obviously, all of you here have never seen Grace Jones live on stage. I saw her two times in Montreux some years ago, she was past 65. A total blast. Musically and visually. Seeing her more as a fashion icon persona than a musician and singer is just as wrong as saying the same about Gaga. Gaga is 36 and a (still rising) star. Grace is 72 and even though she's still able to throw a jawdroping performance anytime today, she's for sure a bit past her heydays.

But their versatility, multi talent and cultural impact in their own time is very similar. Grace was a huge hit machine in Europe in the 80's. She was more popular here during that period than Cher or Madonna, for instance.

Her most iconic album (among many great ones) is probably Nightclubbing (81). Just listen to it beyond the visuals !

About Grace being mean or scary... think twice... She had to rebel out from a strong religious education in Jamaica. She fought her way to music through fashion and passion. She's a fierce warrior mama for sure, but a kind spirit too.

Besides, both Gaga and Grace had a musical crush on Edith Piaf' La Vie en Rose... I tell you, these two may get along really well today. Dancefloor queens and gay icons of another time and place...

Late to the party but I got a diamond heart

Biden Harris 2024

Don't you forget Love on Top of Love. One of my favs evah ! And the Pavarotti duet.

LilyLark
2 hours ago, elijahfan said:

I guess fans intrinsically dislike when people don't validate Gaga, or flat-out criticize her. It's made even worse when it comes from figures that mattered in pop culture, because one would assume they have legitimacy to say anything about her. But quite often, those are people whose careers are way behind them and who can't stand seeing a newer artist cut from the same cloth as them achieving success :ohwell: They might be iconic, but they're just old, frustrated and unkind, which is never a good look.

This. People are entitled to their opinions but it doesn't mean we have to agree or even that their opinions are entirely valid or always in good faith. I admire Grace a lot and she's an icon, but I disagree/think she goes a bit too far with her criticism of multiple artists. I remember this "deal" now that we are talking about it, but she had this blind item everyone thought was Bey, Gaga, or Rihanna. Only part of the blind item was covered by the press, but having read her book there was a lot more to it and it ended up clearly being Mariah (the person had a Vegas residency at the time).....and it just seemed...cruel and very unkind, especially in light of Mariah's known mental health issues.

LilyLark
1 hour ago, Cavadour said:

Obviously, all of you here have never seen Grace Jones live on stage. I saw her two times in Montreux some years ago, she was past 65. A total blast. Musically and visually. Seeing her more as a fashion icon persona than a musician and singer is just as wrong as saying the same about Gaga. Gaga is 36 and a (still rising) star. Grace is 72 and even though she's still able to throw a jawdroping performance anytime today, she's for sure a bit past her heydays.

But their versatility, multi talent and cultural impact in their own time is very similar. Grace was a huge hit machine in Europe in the 80's. She was more popular here during that period than Cher or Madonna, for instance.

Her most iconic album (among many great ones) is probably Nightclubbing (81). Just listen to it beyond the visuals !

About Grace being mean or scary... think twice... She had to rebel out from a strong religious education in Jamaica. She fought her way to music through fashion and passion. She's a fierce warrior mama for sure, but a kind spirit too.

Besides, both Gaga and Grace had a musical crush on Edith Piaf' La Vie en Rose... I tell you, these two may get along really well today. Dancefloor queens and gay icons of another time and place...

I love Grace but uh...I would definitely say she's been a bit mean, and sometimes more than mean, about a lot of people (Rihanna, Gaga, Mariah, Nicki, Britney, Beyonce, etc.) That said, I don't think she has anything personally against Gaga...especially since her long term friend/artistic collaborator photographed her for V magazine a year or so ago.

I do agree she's an icon & a great performer, but I do think in the US she's more known for her fashion now & Andy Warhol connection (which is a shame, since her music is good & she deserves her spot on Billboard's list of greatest musicians & I know she was v. popular in her heyday). I kind of wonder if there will be a resurgence/re-interest in her music by the GP in the next few years, sort of like how people became "re-interested" in Iggy Pop & his songs started being used in film & TV more.

Judas Society
10 hours ago, RenegAde said:

Actually her album in 2001 is one of the most successful of any other spice girls  members solo albums , not that any of them apart from mel c had a successful solo album

Didn't even know Posh had an album. I know about others having albums out, but just not Posh.

Judas Society

You make me wanna explore her discography. I've always loved exploring discographies of icons, which I did with Madge, & Kylie after a few years as a Gaga fan. I definitely love their sounds as well, each very different even if it's in the same base. Although I'm definitely more into pop music no matter the genre, so I don't know if I'm gonna be into Grace's.

metalguru

I love her but she is more of a statement than an actual musician... also, so much reliance on covers.

She being left field does not cut the fact that her chart success was very minimal... back then, especially in uk, you could've gotten to top5 with the most obscure album with ease. Her music is pretty commercial if you know what went through the charts in her peak time. 

metalguru
2 hours ago, Cavadour said:

I saw her live once and she was beyond spectacular...

but define hit please? she couldn't crack into top10 both singles and lp in UK. Nightclubbing was a critical darling, chosen the best album of 1981, which is a huge thing considering the other albums on the list such as Dare, Penthouses and Pavement, Computer World, Flowers of Romance, Big Science etc. But she wasn't a hit maker. She was a different kind of a beast, for sure.

Cavadour
1 hour ago, Judas Society said:

You make me wanna explore her discography. I've always loved exploring discographies of icons, which I did with Madge, & Kylie after a few years as a Gaga fan. I definitely love their sounds as well, each very different even if it's in the same base. Although I'm definitely more into pop music no matter the genre, so I don't know if I'm gonna be into Grace's.

Yeah, Chris Blackwell and the Compass Point Studios All Stars did such wonder with miss Jones. She came as an ominous shamaness and the guys did their best to make that black diamond shine atop. There's a double CD of '98 Private Life: The Compass Point Sessions, resume of her 80's synthpop reggae club dance albums with wide crazy dub and unreleased versions. Sound was already ahead of time when it was done and the remasters are badass. 

When the party is on, Grace Jones music is like a forge when you steadily blowing on embers.

Late to the party but I got a diamond heart

Ouranos
14 hours ago, Ziggy said:

This right here. Everyone knows Björk and yet most probably can't name a "hit" from her (though she does have a few outside the US from her earlier albums).

I can name 3 bjork songs can’t name one grace jones song

Ouranos
13 hours ago, the Devil of Pop said:

Gurl.... Victoria is the only one who founded her own fashion house and is more powerful now than during the Spice Girls era. And she married The Beckham. And even her kids are famous now just for being her kids.  What you're saying makes no sense luv.

She only had that success after marrying Beckham and if you look it up her label hasn’t done very well and compared to the other girls musically she is on the bottom even tho I liked her song out of your mind (have the cd single somewhere) 

Judas Society

Yeah, Chris Blackwell and the Compass Point Studios All Stars did such wonder with miss Jones. She came as an ominous shamaness and the guys did their best to make that black diamond shine atop. There's a double CD of '98 Private Life: The Compass Point Sessions, resume of her 80's synthpop reggae club dance albums with wide crazy dub and unreleased versions. Sound was already ahead of time when it was done and the remasters are badass. 

When the party is on, Grace Jones music is like a forge when you steadily blowing on embers.

Thanks. Gonna bookmark this for when I explore her discography.

Batwings
6 hours ago, Cavadour said:

Gaga is 36 and a (still rising) star. 

Gaga is 34. :huntyga:

Archived