Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
throwback

Joni Mitchell - ‘Dog Eat Dog’

Petrichor

Featured Posts

Petrichor

81ljWT0YAGL._SL1200_.jpg

Most people know Joni Mitchell for her beautiful jazz fusion and folk music, but not too many are aware of her brief, albeit perfect, synth pop-rock stint. Joni’s 1985 album Dog Eat Dog was produced by Thomas Dolby (“She Blinded Me With Science”) among others, and features backing vocals from legendary artists like Michael McDonald. Dog Eat Dog was panned by critics when it was released for its more “stereotypical” sound, which many at the time thought was gimmicky. In the years following its release, the album has gained a cult following, with modern opinions trending to a more positive view (it’s personally one of my top five favorite Joni albums, and she’s my favorite musician besides Gaga - the album is pure pop perfection). If you’re a fan of 80s synth pop, then definitely give Dog Eat Dog from the iconic Joni Mitchell a spin.

ice bear

i like it more than the average opinion, well actually i tend to like all "odd one out" albums like this one and kate bush's the dreaming (and ARTPOP:ladyhaha:)

but imo nothing can beat ladies of the canyon :pray:

ice heard one side from above

ShadowHunter

omg thank u for this! i was not aware and im loving it so far!!!!

Petrichor
6 hours ago, swooning said:

Her worst album!

To some, but I really think it’s quite beautiful.

swooning
25 minutes ago, Petrichor said:

To some, but I really think it’s quite beautiful.

I think the quality of her work really dipped here and with Chalk Mark in a Rain Storm. I do have to give it to here, it was something new! I take issue with the (horrendously dated) production and the preachiness of the lyrics, though. Ethiopia may be the dullest most meandering thing I have ever heard.

The ‘90s was thankfully a sort of artistic renaissance for her, though!

EDIT: Although I realise I am completely crapping on your thread. It is certainly an interesting listen, a unique addition to her catalogue.

Petrichor
On 5/18/2020 at 9:24 AM, swooning said:

I think the quality of her work really dipped here and with Chalk Mark in a Rain Storm. I do have to give it to here, it was something new! I take issue with the (horrendously dated) production and the preachiness of the lyrics, though. Ethiopia may be the dullest most meandering thing I have ever heard.

The ‘90s was thankfully a sort of artistic renaissance for her, though!

EDIT: Although I realise I am completely crapping on your thread. It is certainly an interesting listen, a unique addition to her catalogue.

It’s okay! Everyone is allowed to have their own opinion.

Archived