Enhsa

Featured Posts

FfFfFfFF
54 minutes ago, Economy said:

Of the last decade????

I'd have to go with Old Town Road

But honestly... Everyone knows both so it's kinda the same

A fun fact I saw being thrown around:

Old Town Road hit #1 in 17 territories while Sweet but Psycho by Ava Max did it 24. You could argue that the countries Old Town Road hit #1 are bigger makets but still. :poot:

Old Town big was a big gigantic hit in the Anglo-sphere but smaller outside it (even though still big). Shallow is the bigger hit worldwide.

LadyxGaGa

I would have to agree with Old Town Road, like surpasser the skinny queen Mariah, it made billy ray relevant again. tore down stipulations in country music that the yeehaw queen Kacey Musgraves tried you break down. Shallow is deff a contender but Old Town Road did that  

dollardays
1 hour ago, Economy said:

Of the last decade????

I'd have to go with Old Town Road

But honestly... Everyone knows both so it's kinda the same

Not everyone knows OTR in my country though

Shallow wins worldwide :tony:

Economy
3 minutes ago, dollardays said:

Not everyone knows OTR in my country though

Shallow wins worldwide :tony:

Ur country is Portugal!!!!!!

JĂĄ descrobi outro PortuguĂȘs :woot:

Thomas P

It’s definitely in the top 30-20 biggest of the decade

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

JustTea

Gangnam Style is #1 for now. The choreo that everyone knew, and that funny MV. It was a phenomenon honestly. :duck:

But Shallow is getting bigger with longevity. :classy: It will be the most iconic song of 2010s for sure.

JustJames

Honestly, I have heard OTR maybe once or twice. I don't care what that says about me necessarily, because my point isn't to diminish OTR's success or impact for what it was or did in 2019, but I can guarantee you that the chances of getting a viral video out of someone finishing the lyrics of OTR 1+ years after its peak in a random subway would be VERY slim. OTR fused genres in a new way, leveraged 'meme' culture, and succeeded across multiple media in a new way, and dominated the charts in certain markets because of that. But, those markets are limited, and its meme-ability and streamability further limit its reach as a worldwide, multigenerational, and cross-demographic smash. 

2019 was a year that showed how broken the measurement of music is today, IMO. The level of dominance it, and 7 Rings, attained on the Hot 100 skew the optics of what was a generally weak year in music, the overimportance of streaming numbers, and lag of the industry to find a new way to define success. 

I think that 'famous' needs to be defined, but to me, OTR and 7 Rings at least fall far behind Shallow when it comes to what I would use to measure. A year after it reached its peak (which was already months after the streaming era would normally allow a song to hit #1, a success that adds a lot to its overall claim to 'fame'), we have a video that has gone viral of a woman finishing the lyrics of the song, artists still covering it frequently, athletes in sports like figure skating using it in their programs (from countries like Russia to Canada), etc. Its longevity and breadth/depth of success in terms of demographics and markets will be what carries it, but it is also the most awarded song in history, is ubiqitous with an Oscar-nominated film and 2 of the world's biggest superstars of film and music, was nominated for both SOTY and ROTY at the Grammys (OTR and 7 Rings were nominated only in ROTY; OTR won 1 Grammy, 7 Rings 0, Shallow 2), peaked at #1 on the BB Hot 100... it has everything. 

Uptown Funk was certainly inescapable but I don't know that it connected to all ages and all markets, or that it is as remembered today as Shallow will be. Hello was more of a Single Ladies type of inescapable -- a huge hit from a huge star. Call Me Maybe was inescapable but is the least acclaimed, and the least likely to be remembered by those outside a certain age bracket and language. Some of these, and others, may have had higher 'highs,' but they can't touch Shallow's permanence.

Pop Music

FineNarrowDuckbillplatypus-size_restrict

Gaga 💝Taylor 💝Carly Rae 💝Rina 💝MARINA 💝Britney💝Lights 💝Shania 💝Sigrid💝

LadyxGaGa

I guess while being a Gaga stan I had shallow on repeat I really didn’t know the impact it had on non stans like what an iconic song. Gaga really did rise like a phoenix from the ashes of ARTPOP 

Archived