💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
movie

Birds of Prey Title Changes to Harley Quinn Amid Box Office Flop

Featured Posts

ChromeAngel

I hope this means the super hero movie thing is dead. The whole concept has been used up and it’s just tired

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reality
11 minutes ago, ChromeAngel said:

I hope this means the super hero movie thing is dead. The whole concept has been used up and it’s just tired

Marvel Phase 4 says hello :hor:

đŸƒđŸ–€đŸ‘č

Reality
14 hours ago, Eros92 said:

First off, while the movie is underperforming slightly it still opened at number one and is still on track to earn a profit. The whole "Box Office Flop" thing is just ridiculous. 

Second this movie is FAR from some "man hating agenda" people are throwing around. I'm so damn sick of whiney little snow flake butt hurt men complains about this movie. I mean I hope EVERYONE knows this is based on a female team right? And the reason for wanting to go after Black Mask has ZERO to do with his gender. In fact Black Mask (well Roman in general) is portrayed in a very flamboyant way. Not some super macho "WOMAN ARE LOWER THAN ME THEY SHOULD ALL DIE" sorta way. I mean if people have issue (which I've been reading about a lot) on how all these woman can kick a mans ass and calls it "unrealistic" then yeah maybe they are right. However this is a COMIC movie based on a comic. Like suspend your beliefs when you see movies like this. In the comics the BOP and Harley do kick ass, lots of ass, men and female ass. They are all trained.

I'm so over just all this BS and false narrative people are pushing out about this movie. Thankfully most of the audience and critics are seeing the movie and thinking for themselves and are enjoying the movie cause it's a damn good time. 

:bye:

I can't speak to the merits of the movie because I haven't seen it yet. That said, from what I have heard, it seems like it's a fun and enjoyable movie. This reminds me of when Captain Marvel opened. All of these internet trolls and misogynists were tying to tear that movie down because Brie Larson said that there needs to be more inclusion in movies and media. ****ing stupid. They must feel so emasculated as to tear down a female lead superhero movie just because the lead actress says that there needs to be more inclusion.

That said, so far this movie is underperforming. And it's not just slightly, it's opening weekend numbers were awful. As someone who follows movies and movie news religiously, this is not a good sign. It's projected numbers were, I think, $50-60 million. To open $20 million less  than the lower bound of projections is terrible. Shazam opened with $50+ million and is the lowest opening for a DCEU movie. All they needed to do was beat that.

đŸƒđŸ–€đŸ‘č

As others have pointed out, most parts of this article is total bs. :saladga::saladga:

About the title, they didn't officially change the it. Only the theater chains changed the title to "Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey" apparently for display/search purposes only for vendors and theaters.

And tbh, they should have named the movie that, or something like "Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey" but instead they chose the longest title you could possibly imagine. :bradley:

The one thing to blame also for the under-performance of this movie is the marketing. The dull trailers. The long and misleading title. :neyde:

All I ever wanted was đŸ…»đŸ…ŸđŸ†…đŸ…Ž

A Real Panda

The movie was actually pretty good especially the action scenes. I read a lot of comments from comic book fans and they are not here for the changes to the comic book characters. I understand that there needs to have more representation in films from all genders and races but it doesnt always work well especially if youre a comic book fan like me who has known these characters for 20+ years. When I watched it, theres a feeling of disconnect. 

Moonlight on Water

even if Harley Quinn was part of BoP . . . you still forgot to add Poison Ivy. like, come on.

also, where's Batgirl? you have Black Canary and The Huntress but not Batgirl.

she/her

8 hours ago, Defmix100 said:

if just 50% of women in the US went to see it the movie would make over $1 Billion dollars

I'm sorry but I laughed out loud reading at this. JUST 50% of the entire female population of the US? That's kind of impossible to achieve :rip: 

This was an official message from the Office of the First Lady.

Defmix100
2 minutes ago, Lionel Hutz said:

I'm sorry but I laughed out loud reading at this. JUST 50% of the entire female population of the US? That's kind of impossible to achieve :rip: 

haha yeah realistically I'm not saying 50% to go just showing that you only need half the female population to already break $1 billion, so for them to not have even 5% of that shows that it's less of a gender thing and more just audiences not really interested full stop

ryansamonster
14 minutes ago, Cookies said:

even if Harley Quinn was part of BoP . . . you still forgot to add Poison Ivy. like, come on.

Cassandra Cain is Batgirl :selena:

Also, they were obviously trying to launch a new franchise considering the state of superhero movies. They all get sequels. 

Lastly, Harley isn’t even part of the Birds of Prey team. They help each other defeat the baddie, but only Huntress, Canary, and Renee actually become the Birds Of Prey at the end of the movie. 

Mister G

I saw the movie last week. I wasn’t expecting a spectacular group film but it was fun and energetic ESPECIALLY given DC’s history with live action films. This was definitely a step up from Suicide Squad.

44 minutes ago, Cookies said:

Birds of Prey and the Gotham City Sirens are different things. 

Moonlight on Water
1 hour ago, ryansamonster said:

Cassandra Cain is Batgirl :selena:

Also, they were obviously trying to launch a new franchise considering the state of superhero movies. They all get sequels. 

Lastly, Harley isn’t even part of the Birds of Prey team. They help each other defeat the baddie, but only Huntress, Canary, and Renee actually become the Birds Of Prey at the end of the movie. 

oh right . . . yeah

and ik that Harley isn't in BoP, but i was saying if she was added to BoP.

she/her

beaublue
18 hours ago, Miel said:

Oh I see what you mean now. Yeah, it’s a shame that audiences are generally siphoned within one perspective (men, usually white)- and when that is challenged, there’s almost inherent backlash. Like, this isn’t even the most revolutionary perspective change as a movie!

And yeah, while I think the cartoon montage of Harley’s bisexuality was cute, all I can simply hope for is that it is explored more in the future. At least I have enough faith in this creative team to know it won’t be grossly oversexualized, if they do it.

I don’t have much to say about Montoya except that I thought her sexuality was done well, without it being a focus at all. Interesting Ali Wong cameo as her ex, tbh.

I also still can’t wrap my head around the relationship between Zasz and Mask, like... the acting chemistry was fantastic, and I get that it was meant to be diabolical and unhinged and almost a comical way of saying “they hate women so much that they’re so magnetized by their own selves” but I’m still a bit torn in its portrayal?

See... the thing about Montoya was that if you didn't know she was a lesbian before going into the movie then you wouldn't have known at all. Same with Mask & Zasz. They didn't go into that territory at all & that's one of my issues with the movie. Hollywood seems to think that this is representation when it's not at all. Promoting gay relationships & diversity & then not going into depth or making it clear in anyway was a cop out. Like I said, if someone didn't know about the supposed gay representation then they wouldn't have picked up on the almost nonexistent chemistry between Mask & Zasz. Idk... we just need better representation, actual representation that honors & provides backstory to the characters rather than saying "oh they're gay" just to sell tickets & seem inclusive.

Archived