Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
movie

Birds of Prey Title Changes to Harley Quinn Amid Box Office Flop

Featured Posts

Warner Bros. has apparently changed the official title for "Birds of Prey" to "Harley Quinn," which follows its box office flop (just as I predicted).

So far, just AMC and Regal Movies have updated their websites with the new official title of Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey, from the former "Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn" or simply listing "Birds of Prey."

The official WB social media accounts, Fandango and IMDb haven't made the change as of yet.

The reason for the change is obvious, and also something that I brought up: The flick isn't a Birds of Prey movie at all, Harley Quinn isn't even a member of the Birds of Prey in the movie (or in the comics), and the movie is more the Margot Robbie Harley Quinn show than anything.

Regarding why Birds of Prey failed at the box office, fans just didn't simply show up as theaters are a ghost town. [...]

Warner Bros. is to blame; director Cathy Yan is to blame, who never directed a big-budget movie before (Deadline reported WB President of DC Films Walter Hamada had to fix the movie); Margot Robbie, who produced the flick, is especially to blame (it's been said Robbie passed on doing a Gotham City Sirens movie in favor of Birds of Prey, and Robbie deserves better? No, the fans do.), and checking the other producers listed on the film, none of them have any comic book movie experience (not counting executive producers who probably just consult or get the title due to a previous contract i.e. Geoff Johns and David Ayer).

I'll also add the Birds of Prey Rotten Tomatoes score has dropped significantly since the film's release as it went from a high of 92% to a present 80%. So what does that tell you? It tells you all the critics that saw the movie as part of Warner Bros. marketing campaign (the woke RT critics), all gave it high reviews, but that when the film was released, the other sites gave it a lot of lower-rated reviews. Likewise, the audience score is currently at 81%, which also dropped from the movie's release.

The Birds of Prey opening weekend box office is also worse than thought, even worse than estimated once it knew the movie was bombing.

Estimates pegged the flick at a laughable $55 million, Warner Bros. eyed $45 million (another laughable number), then the Hollywood trades revised their estimates to the low 40 millions, then estimates had the flick at $33.5 million, with the final number now known to be only $33 million.

Birds of Prey has also been a disaster overseas as it has only brought in around $46 million, for a joke-able current $79 million and change worldwide gross.

Regarding whether or not the film will lose money, various reports are offering the film needs to bring in as much as $300 million to break even or at least $250 million. While some sites are reporting the budget was only $80 million or so; however, reportedly due to reshoots, some of the sets and the CGI involved, the budget ballooned to $100 million or more, and then when marketing and other factors are added in, the cost is even higher.

It should also be pointed out that Birds of Prey faced no competition at the box office, as it was the only "big" movie to have opened, but it failed anyway. 

source: https://cosmicbook.news/birds-prey-title-change-harley-quinn?utm_source=pushengage&utm_medium=pushnotification&utm_campaign=pushengage

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Regina George

I watched it and it's actually pretty good... I feel like straight man can't handle women being in charge and kinda anti man and that's why it's flopping.. Oh well 

corvus albus

God this article is just straight awful. Full of biased and hurtful stabs at Margo Robbie and other people involved. 

2 minutes ago, ReginaGeorge said:

I watched it and it's actually pretty good... I feel like straight man can't handle women being in charge and that's why it's flopping.. Oh well 

I don't know... is Wonder Woman successful?

Regina George
Just now, Ryusei said:

Well WW was also girl power movie and I don't know if you watched this but this movie is kinda sarcastically anti man. I was talking about that part.. This is literally a movie about women not needing man in any way and it's kinda suggested during the whole movie 

Regina George
Just now, kyanewest said:

I don't know... is Wonder Woman successful?

Yes but

Just now, ReginaGeorge said:

Well WW was also girl power movie and I don't know if you watched this but this movie is kinda sarcastically anti man. I was talking about that part.. This is literally a movie about women not needing man in any way and it's kinda suggested during the whole movie 

Sneaky Oliver

Imagine if artists start to change the titles of every flop single they release :enigma:   My new single has just changed its title so STREAM IT NOW (again)

I’m on my Legacy Act era

corvus albus
Just now, Ryusei said:

There was still Chris Pine playing the role of the every man. Wonder Woman is a much more conventional movie (BOP only devolves into conventionality in its third act). 

I love both films and both have strengths and weaknesses. I would've hoped to see BOP having a similar success to Suicide Squad or WW. 

FameHookah
4 minutes ago, ReginaGeorge said:

I watched it and it's actually pretty good... I feel like straight man can't handle women being in charge and that's why it's flopping.. Oh well 

Yeah it was funny and sassy i loved it, maybe us gays could get it bc we love fierce women and that type of humor.

As always the straights ruining everything..

WTF is MDNA

Regina George
Just now, FameHookah said:

Yeah it was funny and sassy i loved it, maybe us gays could get it bc we love fierce women and that type of humor.

As always the straights ruining everything..

I'm female tho... :laughga: But girls and gays usually agree when it comes to their taste so yea

Just now, corvus albus said:

There was still Chris Pine playing the role of the every man. Wonder Woman is a much more conventional movie (BOP only devolves into conventionality in its third act). 

I love both films and both have strengths and weaknesses. I would've hoped to see BOP having a similar success to Suicide Squad or WW. 

I think what was lacking the most in BOP was the plot and screenplay more than the girl power thing.

FameHookah
1 minute ago, ReginaGeorge said:

I'm female tho... :laughga: But girls and gays usually agree when it comes to their taste so yea

Well yeah we are kinda on the same page 🤣

WTF is MDNA

Sorry, but the director ain't the one to blame. They directed a film that received a higher score than expected & the RT score is always expected to drop once more critics weigh in. They should've promoted it more effectively and yes, its original name was ludicrous. 

Archived