Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

How many Gaga collabs could have been?

gagzus

Featured Posts

Zander
Just now, Defmix100 said:

I don't know what any of this means haha

Azealia Banks sells lightening soap for your bussy.

Defmix100
3 minutes ago, Zander said:

Azealia Banks sells lightening soap for your bussy.

I just googled bussy

the things you learn haha

Judas Society
39 minutes ago, gagzus said:

I think she doesn’t like to relinquish control, and when someone else is involved and another management team is involved it becomes difficult.

Like the Kendrick collabs died because his team wanted the songs to be hip-hop and for her to distance from her gay imagery in BTW because he was starting out. Same with Kanye apparently asking her to make her segments of fame kills “less gay”.

Then I'm glad it didn't went through. Can you imagine Gaga less gay? Gaga became an icon because of her effective gay image. Gaga wouldn't be half as iconic if went into the hip hop route.

JustJames
2 hours ago, gagzus said:

I think she doesn’t like to relinquish control, and when someone else is involved and another management team is involved it becomes difficult.

Like the Kendrick collabs died because his team wanted the songs to be hip-hop and for her to distance from her gay imagery in BTW because he was starting out. Same with Kanye apparently asking her to make her segments of fame kills “less gay”.

I am totally 'on board' with Gaga taking a stand against having to compromise what she stands for as an artist who is inspired by, and supported by, the LGBT community. I wish we had full details on what went down with Kendrick, because she certainly hinted at this being a source of friction when she discussed ARTPOP/Jewels N' Drugs saying how previous rap/hip-hop ventures fell apart due to her audience being "too gay." However, there are at least 2 leaked collabs with Kendrick, no? At which stage of the creative process would one find out that an issue as large as "your fanbase is 'too gay' for me to release this" exists with the person you are recording with? If  recorded at different times, then I'm even more confusied. Like, why waste the energy on someone who has made their stance clear on a value of yours that is non-negotiable?

For the record, the press I have read re: 'Fame Kills' stated that Gaga proactively told Kanye that she wouldn't make the show any less 'gay' and told him how important it was for her that the show embrace both of their audiences. The entire concept from both artists' perspectives is fascinating and I wish it had come through. Regardless of your feelings on Kanye now, his willingness to create such a groundbreaking show that may have alienated a big part of his fans - back when us gays weren't really a hot demographic - is pretty awesome. 

For Gaga, I don't see "letting go of control" as a viable reason for the lack of collaborations. Any artist that began their career as a songwriter has to understand how the industry works and she wouldn't have been able to see her words being sung/changed by other artists if this were such a block, IMO.

Collaborations during BTW, the pre-ARTPOP blackout, and on Joanne were big misses since the addition of a Beyonce, Rihanna, Nicki, and [insert some acclaimed Country/Country-lite artists] would have helped the BTW maintain its freshness, her stay relevant between BTW+ARTPOP, reintroduce herself to mainsteam pop during Joanne. Collaborations, along with a Britney-esque (think '3' era) "Greatest Hits/Unreleased Collection" (pre-ARTPOP would have been the time) would have been great.

If Gaga was still signed to Def Jam she would have done more collabs with black artists. 

Examples:

Kanye, Rihanna, Tyga, Dave East, Big Sean

Glamourpuss
4 hours ago, gagzus said:

I think had Fame Kills went ahead, Gaga and Kanye would’ve been great friends and would’ve made some great music together. It probably would’ve impacted her music and relationships more like I could see her having become friends with his fellow rappers and maybe even Nicki who knows. Maybe in an alternate universe haha

I imagine the total opposite. The tour would have been a huge success and Kanye would have taken credit for making her a huge global superstar because this is one of those instances that shows us what a genius he is, that only he could have come up with the idea. :awkney:

She'd constantly be feeling like she has to prove herself in the same way that Taylor Swift still does. Kanye would be as egocentric as ever and would be saying how he made her and we'd all hate him. 

gagzus
1 hour ago, JustJames said:

I am totally 'on board' with Gaga taking a stand against having to compromise what she stands for as an artist who is inspired by, and supported by, the LGBT community. I wish we had full details on what went down with Kendrick, because she certainly hinted at this being a source of friction when she discussed ARTPOP/Jewels N' Drugs saying how previous rap/hip-hop ventures fell apart due to her audience being "too gay." However, there are at least 2 leaked collabs with Kendrick, no? At which stage of the creative process would one find out that an issue as large as "your fanbase is 'too gay' for me to release this" exists with the person you are recording with? If  recorded at different times, then I'm even more confusied. Like, why waste the energy on someone who has made their stance clear on a value of yours that is non-negotiable?

For the record, the press I have read re: 'Fame Kills' stated that Gaga proactively told Kanye that she wouldn't make the show any less 'gay' and told him how important it was for her that the show embrace both of their audiences. The entire concept from both artists' perspectives is fascinating and I wish it had come through. Regardless of your feelings on Kanye now, his willingness to create such a groundbreaking show that may have alienated a big part of his fans - back when us gays weren't really a hot demographic - is pretty awesome. 

For Gaga, I don't see "letting go of control" as a viable reason for the lack of collaborations. Any artist that began their career as a songwriter has to understand how the industry works and she wouldn't have been able to see her words being sung/changed by other artists if this were such a block, IMO.

Collaborations during BTW, the pre-ARTPOP blackout, and on Joanne were big misses since the addition of a Beyonce, Rihanna, Nicki, and [insert some acclaimed Country/Country-lite artists] would have helped the BTW maintain its freshness, her stay relevant between BTW+ARTPOP, reintroduce herself to mainsteam pop during Joanne. Collaborations, along with a Britney-esque (think '3' era) "Greatest Hits/Unreleased Collection" (pre-ARTPOP would have been the time) would have been great.

From the information we know, T-Minus produced the version that leaked of Partynauseous and they made BDKMV at the same time. Gaga wanted PN to be a dance/EDM song and BDKMV wasnt finished in time to be submitted for Kendrick’s album. Gaga wouldn’t compromise on PN’s sound and I feel like because Kendrick was reletavely new at the time and they were tryna give him a hip-hop following the heterosexual men in his camp probably thought Gaga’s pro-LGBT activism during BTW era was a phase to sell her music but she wouldn’t turn her back on us, so they didn’t feel like a woman with power and her stance wouldn’t work for his image. Plus she’s white which was also apparently a reason Beyoncé didn’t want to work with white artists at the time of Self Titled and Lemonade, which is probably why MANiCURE never became the Telephone sequel like planned (that’s my theory though in regards to MANiCURE).

i think Fame Kills fell through because of the VMA controversy since Interscope had a lot of power over her at the beginning of her career. In reference to her not collaborating because of compromises I understand her not wanting to do that since a large part of her career has been made for her pre-ARTPOP in terms of decisions on who she collabs with, business decisions etc so now she has control over almost everything she can do as she pleases and collaborate with whom she pleases; I still say for the time t was made, the subject and what not Hey Girl should’ve had Katy Perry on it instead of Florence because Gaga and Flo haven’t been in competition, branded as rivals or equals etc. 

I think Gaga’s album collaborations go well with their sounds and “eras”, like how Flo, Kevin and Beck were to make Joanne more in the “less pop, more rock” aesthetics and how Mutt Lange, Brian May and Clarence Clemons matched BTW’s 80s aesthetic.

gagzus
44 minutes ago, Glamourpuss said:

I imagine the total opposite. The tour would have been a huge success and Kanye would have taken credit for making her a huge global superstar because this is one of those instances that shows us what a genius he is, that only he could have come up with the idea. :awkney:

She'd constantly be feeling like she has to prove herself in the same way that Taylor Swift still does. Kanye would be as egocentric as ever and would be saying how he made her and we'd all hate him. 

I beg to differ, although Kanye had an ego back then, his public persona of being egotistical didn’t surface till in the last 5 years when his mental health and bipolar became worse. I believe Gaga would’ve been a good friend and influence on him. Hell maybe they’d have even became more than friends at one point. 

Or alternatively he would’ve branded her the new and better Madonna and she would’ve became even more egotistical than she was by the time ARTPOP came. Which was gaga’s downfall at the time I think she started to believe her own hype in 2012 

Archived