💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Stephen King faces backlash over comments on Oscars diversity

Featured Posts

ChromeAngel
24 minutes ago, Ally Campana said:

This. Let’s not act like everyone is given an equal chance in the film industry.

Ok but he’s literally making the exact opposite point. He’s quit literally saying that I don’t care who you are, quality is all that matters. That’s the definition of giving everyone an equal chance 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DeanWinchester

People need to realize that it’s just as dumb to focus too much on ethnicities when looking at characters. Tokenism is a bad thing and doesn’t serve the narrative. The primary focus should be universal relatability of characters as opposed to a checklist of ethnicities, age or gender that don’t really bring anything to the story. The idea that people can’t relate to somebody else outside of their age, sex and ethnicity is just as limiting as exclusively casting form a select demographic.

Flyin' like a 1000 Doves

Wolf Boy
53 minutes ago, Gypsy Life said:

I think the meaning behind his tweet is clear as day. People who can't properly read and analyse a sentence, that's on them. Stay in school kids.

Lol agreed.

Its just another day on “What offends me today” on Shitter.

Regina George

What he said is right tho.. People should always vote for quality and not for diversity.. Art is like that.. Do your job the way it should be done and you'll get nomination without them looking at your gender, skin or sexuality.. 

Guillaume Hamon

The movie industry is very often giving the fanciest projects to white folks and often to dudes...

So of course the academy  is not often awarding  POC and women in these conditions...

The Oscar blame is like raging at the smoke instead of the flame.

Listen, I love diversity and being diverse as much as the next user (cause we’re on GGD :huntyga:) but when it comes to awards like the Grammy’s and Oscars, the people who deserve the award are the people who deserve the award, not what race they are, that’s just unfair and it totally diminishes what working hard can do. 

Whispering
52 minutes ago, lifeasgeorge said:

THIS. The issue isn’t necessarily King’s comment in voting for quality and not taking diversity into consideration. That makes sense.

The real issue is the lack of diversity in the committees/voters that decide on the nominations. They’re predominantly cis-white males which means the nominations are being made strongly through the lens of only one background. That’s why women and POC find it hard to receive nominations in the first place. It’s the way these institutions are set up so that it’s harder for minorities to be deemed as “quality.”

This was the case in the past, but in 2016, the governing body of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences,  committed to doubling the number of women and diverse members of the Academy by 2020. The numbers of diverse voting members have grown every year.

androiduser

the problem is that his answer implies that women directors and actors who are minorities do not equal quality, only diversity.

androiduser
43 minutes ago, ReginaGeorge said:

What he said is right tho.. People should always vote for quality and not for diversity.. Art is like that.. Do your job the way it should be done and you'll get nomination without them looking at your gender, skin or sexuality.. 

the problem is that minorities (as actors, directors, screenwriters) and women as directors don't even get the chance to "do the job the way it should be done", and when they do get their chance, their efforts are not regarded as good enough compared to their white or male colleagues

Regina George
Just now, androiduser said:

the problem is that minorities (as actors, directors, screenwriters) and women as directors don't even get the chance to "do the job the way it should be done", and when they do get their chance, their efforts are not regarded as good enough compared to their white or male colleagues

I see what you mean but at the end of the day voters are not responsible for that.. They need to vote for the best thing.. I wouldn't come for oscars.. I'd come for studios that don't want to hire women and minorities. 

Gagaloo911

I get what he's saying, but it ignores the reality of opportunity, access, prestige, and who gets roles in the industry. And even more importantly, ignores the nomination process and and the bias it has for known names. 

If more people of diverse backgrounds got more opportunities and access to roles, then films of similar or better quality could be made and seen, the talent could become known, and this could result in more representation in nominations. 

Unfortunately, name matters a lot in the industry. That's why you have so many of the same directors, actors, etc nominated again and again. 

And this is a huge problem. You really think that the SAME directors and actors are always producing the BEST quality?? 

Hell no. It's just they have the prestige and name recognition, so they keep getting nominated. 

Obviously, when it comes to the actual voting it should be considered on quality alone and not identities of the cast and crew. But the nomination process at least could be more representative and less biased..

If you really think well known white men make the best movies all the time, then that says more about you and your biases than it does the quality of films out there by all categories of people. 

Jose P
6 minutes ago, androiduser said:

the problem is that his answer implies that women directors and actors who are minorities do not equal quality, only diversity.

That’s not what he said at all lmao. He meant that when nominating the only thing that should matter is the quality of the work, not the gender or race of the people involved in the work. He never really said that women and POC don’t make good movies and they’re only for diversity.

androiduser
2 minutes ago, ReginaGeorge said:

I see what you mean but at the end of the day voters are not responsible for that.. They need to vote for the best thing.. I wouldn't come for oscars.. I'd come for studios that don't want to hire women and minorities. 

But I think that some voters dismiss women and minorities without even taking them into consideration, that's the problem.  All under pretense that they are just voting for the best

Regina George
1 minute ago, androiduser said:

But I think that some voters dismiss women and minorities without even taking them into consideration, that's the problem.  All under pretense that they are just voting for the best

Yes maybe there's that too but IDK.. Like you said I don't think there are many projects where minorities have a big part and I literally can't name 5 movies from 2019 that represented minorities in the right way and that are good at the same time.. 

Archived