⚔️ CHROMATICA OUT NOW ⚔️

Follow us on TikTok
Sign in to follow this  
society

Trump Takes Back Help As Chicago Slowly Submerges

Economy

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/chicago.suntimes.com/platform/amp/2020/1/13/21063697/lake-michigan-water-levels-chicago-great-lakes-flooding-suntimes-editorial

A study on rising water levels which was also slated to be accompanied by some funding to help reinforce more vulnerable areas has been delayed by Trump and he is now showing little interest in spending a single dime on the cause

Severe_Weather_Illinois_2_.jpg

Water levels in the Great Lakes are rising again after a record 2019 and expected to go even higher this year and few places are as vulnerable as some shore areas off Chicago and parks and trails off lake Michigan

While entire areas of Canada and US are threatened by very high water levels on all 5 lakes, the Chicago region is the most vulnerable of the populated areas

Edited by Economy
  • Sad 8

Economy

Not only are water levels already higher so far in 2020 than in 2019 which was a record year...

But there are 2 more storms to pass thru the great lakes region this week both dumping a lot of snow which of course will eventually melt :ohno:

• Sad 3

Mister G
3 minutes ago, Economy said:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/chicago.suntimes.com/platform/amp/2020/1/13/21063697/lake-michigan-water-levels-chicago-great-lakes-flooding-suntimes-editorial

A study on rising water levels which was also slated to be accompanied by some funding to help reinforce more vulnerable areas has been delayed by Trump and he is now showing little interest in spending a single dime on the cause

Severe_Weather_Illinois_2_.jpg

Water levels in the Great Lkaes are rising again after a record 2019 and expected to go even higher this year and few places are as vulnerable as some shore areas off Chicago and parks and trails off lake Michigan

While entire areas of Canada and US are threatened by very high water levels on all 5 lakes, the Chicago region is the most vulnerable of the populated areas

He doesn’t care because Chicago means nothing to him given his past commentary on the city. If anything, he’ll rush to use emergency funds to preserve and protect Mar-A-Lago and claim it’s an historic site that we can’t let be destroyed by the rising sea levels.

Edited by MrG1087
-Mister G
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Economy
30 minutes ago, MrG1087 said:

He doesn’t care because Chicago means nothing to him given his past commentary on the city. If anything, he’ll rush to use emergency funds to preserve and protect Mar-A-Lago and claim it’s an historic site that we can’t let be destroyed by the rising sea levels.

If it makes u feel any better Canada's Federal Government did almost nothing to help protect Toronto island and other areas when levels went to their highest in 2017 and 2019

The city of Toronto was on its own just like Chicago seems to be under Trump :madge:

Mister G
13 minutes ago, Economy said:

If it makes u feel any better Canada's Federal Government did almost nothing to help protect Toronto island and other areas when levels went to their highest in 2017 and 2019

The city of Toronto was on its own just like Chicago seems to be under Trump :madge:

No it doesn’t because that just shows how irresponsible our governments truly are...

-Mister G
  • Like 1

Economy
8 minutes ago, MrG1087 said:

No it doesn’t because that just shows how irresponsible our governments truly are...

Although I think Trump's is worse cuz it's more critical in Chicago and also he basically approved help and took it back which is snake AF :madge:

Ziggy

That pic is a bit misleading lol it was a bad storm this weekend with CRAZY strong winds. This is absolutely not the norm. Water levels are higher but the image exaggerates the extent a bit.

also f Trump. He’s just pressed that when he tried holding a rally here, people were so opposed to it that he had to lie and say “police concerns“ were the reason and then the police turned around and called him out on that. He’s mad he looked a fool and has been ever since. I’d love to see him try to walk down any street here. It’s easy to talk tough when the next time you visit (2 months ago) he goes straight to trump tower to hide lol everyone here sees through his bs. East coast grifters don't find friends in the Chicago lololol and I say that as someone who prefers the east coast.  

Edited by Ziggy
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

Mister G
10 minutes ago, Economy said:

Although I think Trump's is worse cuz it's more critical in Chicago and also he basically approved help and took it back which is snake AF :madge:

Sneaky yes. Surprised no. Chicago barely cares for him; if it were a city where everyone is worshipping his micro-pe**s I’m sure it wouldn’t even be up for discussion.

-Mister G
  • Like 1

Economy
18 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

That pic is a bit misleading lol it was a bad storm this weekend with CRAZY strong winds. This is absolutely not the norm. Water levels are higher but the image exaggerates the extent a bit.

also f Trump. He’s just pressed that when he tried holding a rally here, people were so opposed to it that he had to lie and say “police concerns“ were the reason and then the police turned around and called him out on that. He’s mad he looked a fool and has been ever since. I’d love to see him try to walk down any street here. It’s easy to talk tough when the next time you visit (2 months ago) he goes straight to trump tower to hide lol everyone here sees through his bs. East coast grifters don't find friends in the Chicago lololol and I say that as someone who prefers the east coast.  

It's not misleading. The worst days are what matter and cause it's then that the threats exist

It doesn't matter if in 19/20 of the days the water is not an immediate threat (at least for now levels are expected to go even higher)

It only takes 1 day of the weather stirring up the waters a bit to potentially flood homes and cause damage, heck a few hours to cause damage

Hence the pic is direct proof of how dangerous the waters can get with these high levels even if in calm days the waves don't go in like this.

The threat isn't absent just because most days the water and it's waves are still below the line

These pics for example were not taken during storms. This is how high water got in 2019 peak and it's expected to possibly go even higher in 2020:

Chicago & Michigan areas:

LakeMichiganrising05_29_19SoldierField.0

27May2019_4.png

Toronto & Toronto Island:

B823316661Z.1_20170419071025_000_GI51S8L

lake-ontario-flooding.jpg

These pics were not taken during storms. At their highest points the lakes are very high last few years and damaging and threatening low level shores. 

Edited by Economy

Mister G
17 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

He wouldn’t last 30 seconds in Chicago without security.

-Mister G
  • Like 1

Economy
4 minutes ago, MrG1087 said:

He wouldn’t last 30 seconds in Chicago without security.

Hence why he doesn't care about it even tho it's serious

See my comment above, it is serious

The user said it's misleading cuz that pic was during a storm so I posted pics showing how high lakes have gotten in the last year during non storm days

Edited by Economy

MrDaniel

This is why it’s very scary living in a populated area and just near to the ocean.:excited2:

I’m just hoping someday people will be able to see the reality and focus more on how we can stable it.

Edited by MrDaniel
!_Kathryn_!

Mister G
4 minutes ago, Economy said:

Hence why he doesn't care about it even tho it's serious

See my comment above, it is serious

The user said it's misleading cuz that pic was during a storm so I posted pics showing how high lakes have gotten in the last year during non storm days

Oh that’s going to be happening more frequently around the country as natural disasters pick up.

-Mister G
  • Like 2

Ziggy
3 minutes ago, Economy said:

It's not misleading. The worst days are what matter and cause it's then that the threats exist

It doesn't matter if in 19/20 of the days the water is not an immediate threat (at least for now levels are expected to go even higher)

It only takes 1 day of the weather stirring up the waters a bit to potentially flood homes and cause damage, heck a few hours to cause damage

Hence the pic is direct proof of how dangerous the waters can get with these high levels even if in calm days the waves don't go in like this.

The threat isn't absent just because most days the water and it's waves are still below the line

These pics for example were not taken during storms. This is how high water got in 2019 peak and it's expected to possibly go even higher in 2020:

Chicago & Michigan areas:

LakeMichiganrising05_29_19SoldierField.0

27May2019_4.png

Toronto & Toronto Island:

B823316661Z.1_20170419071025_000_GI51S8L

lake-ontario-flooding.jpg

These pics were not taken during storms. At their highest points the lakes are very high last few years and damaging and threatening low level shores. 

I know lol I live in Chicago. I’m just saying that the implication of the photo is that this is what Chicago looks like on a regular basis due to climate change which is patently false. The water levels are higher, true, but it normally looks like those photos, calm. Those pose problems of their own, absolutely, and things need to be dealt with especially as it relates to the ecology of the Great Lakes, but to paint cataclysm by wave like the headline photo is doing is misleading. If we’re going to talk about the effects of climate change, we can’t be hyperbolic. Australia and the amazon have both burned this past year in incredible fires, Puerto Rico is still without aid after terrible earthquakes, let’s not exaggerate on other things since it diminishes the incredible devastations going on. Chicago is not devastated (yet), the problem should be dealt with, but if we’re informing the public, being realistic and accurate should be first priority. The photos you posted should be the kinda dealt with.

my issue is in painting climate change as really only happening in doom and gloom apocalypse when in reality, it shows up for much longer in the “little things” like rising sea levels, animals leaving or becoming extinct, etc. first. The narrative should be “these are the warning signs of things to come” because that’s true. Chicago waves are always like that in bad storms. It has nothing to do with rising water levels, but it *is* made worse by rising water levels. That nuance needs to be discussed. That’s my thing: the photo lacks nuance of the issue.

• Like 2

Economy
1 minute ago, MrG1087 said:

Oh that’s going to be happening more frequently around the country as natural disasters pick up.

Agreed... Although the lakes water problem isn't so much a specific natural disaster as it is commutative

For years there has been more precipitation than evaporation and runoff to ocean (since 2012/2013 so like 7 years) so it's a long term cummulative effect from global warming that keeps adding

Experts still disagree with eachother if this is the new long term trend or if the lakes will fluctuate wildly because up until 2012/2013 the lakes had the opposite problem where they were getting too low and dropping for 30 years since the 1980s

So the last 7 years were either an aberation, or wild fluctuation, or the trends changed

Some say we crossed a threshold that will keep bringing more precipitation than evaporation increased so the lakes this century will have a tendency to stay very high and possibly go even higher. But not all experts agree

Guess time will tell. 7 years is less than a decade trend so it's still hard to know if it is an aberation or a new long term trend :shrug: