other

Just Dance vs Retro Physical

AJRocketMan

Just Dance vs Retro Physical?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

Featured Posts

AJRocketMan

Okay hunties, so all hardcore Gaga fans should know that Retro Physical was supposed to be her first single, but it got  scrapped in favor of Just Dance.

These are two very different dance songs--Just Dance is an electropop song with a dance-rock composition and style, whereas Retro Physical is an old-school House song that has way more of a black flair to it (it was made by two black men). Just Dance has a very sunny and carefree L.A./West Hollywood vibe whereas Retro Physical is a retro urban dance song that fits in better with the street-smart culture of Chicago and NYC. Which do you guys think is the better song? I personally like Retro Physical more because it has a much edgier and more aggressive composition without being too harsh on the ears. I feel like the song actually matched the edginess of her image, as her outfits were always "harder" than her music was. This would have been perfect for 2008 if she wanted to be seen as a truly cutting-edge artist, cuz this was RIGHT AROUND THE TIME that house music was starting to become somewhat popular again, so she was legitimately ahead of the curve when she recorded this. It sounds like where she came from, you know? Nothing on The Fame sounds as street or as hard as this song does, and same applies to everything that came afterwards. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Do NOT make this about commercial success. We'll never know what the commercial potential of RP was since it was never released and has never been performed live, although early fans fought tooth and nail for 1.5 years for the whole song to leak.

Evaluate these two songs based on these factors:

* Instrumental

* Vocals

* Melody

* Groove/Rhythm

* Lyrics

* Energy and Danceability

* Memorability

* Edginess/Coolness factor

I prefer RP for every single one of these lol. I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me but I don't care. Enjoy discussing everyone!

I like them both but Gaga would not be the Gaga we have today without Just Dance, plus the nostalgia :vegas:

Biggest Fan

I always live RP

it Always makes me wanna dance

I always knew this was a demo because just dance was better

🤖

AJRocketMan
4 minutes ago, Biggest Fan said:

I always live RP

it Always makes me wanna dance

I always knew this was a demo because just dance was better

I don't get what you're saying at all... I assume English isn't your first language? Are you saying you prefer RP or JD?

Just Dance. 

While it is a huge hit, I don't feel like it's the best of her singles tbh. But it's definitely better than Retro Physical

If Retro Physical was Gaga's debut single, she may have never happened. They most definitely made the correct choice. With that said, I LOVE RP, especially the verses.

Just Dance is far better than Retro Physical.

I only liked Retro Physical for the instrumental. If you’re gonna put two songs against each other at least make it challenging. 

AJRocketMan
On 12/15/2019 at 12:21 AM, ProjectJoanne said:

I like them both but Gaga would not be the Gaga we have today without Just Dance, plus the nostalgia :vegas:

And what makes you think that? She would have still had Poker face and LoveGame, which the GP loved, so I don’t see how releasing RP as her first single and never doing Just Dance would have hurt her career.

On 12/15/2019 at 12:52 AM, Buddy said:

If Retro Physical was Gaga's debut single, she may have never happened. They most definitely made the correct choice. With that said, I LOVE RP, especially the verses.

Who’s to say she wouldn’t? Just Dance only became popular because of the buzz created by Poker Face. She had plenty of other songs that ended up being hits as well, and I assume they would’ve still caught on regardless of whether Just Dance existed or not.

2 minutes ago, AJRocketMan said:

And what makes you think that? She would have still had Poker face and LoveGame, which the GP loved, so I don’t see how releasing RP as her first single and never doing Just Dance would have hurt her career.

She wouldn’t be as big as she could’ve been with Just Dance, there’s a reason it was picked over RP. Plus it brought a bran new sound to mainstream pop, RP sounded dated by a few years, just sayin :laughga:

Archived