💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
event

The 77th Golden Globe Awards - Nominations

mamo

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, M Monstre said:

I do consider it an animated movie. Just because it's photo-realistic doesn't take away from the fact that it's animated. It's just a different type of animation. 

True, but their whole promoting shtick was about it being a "live action remake", but then again, earlier today I read than Disney didn't even bother submitting it for Best Animated Film, the HFPA nominated it on their own. :smh:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reality
1 minute ago, Wixson said:

True, but their whole promoting shtick was about it being a "live action remake", but then again, earlier today I read than Disney didn't even bother submitting it for Best Animated Film, the HFPA nominated it on their own. :smh:

Yeah, they're trying to market it and promote it for awards season as a "live action" movie, but it's just not. No matter how realistic something looks, if it isn't actually being done by live, tangible people (or in this case, animals), then it's not live action. 

đŸƒđŸ–€đŸ‘č

Reality
2 hours ago, Rio said:

Bet you they award The Joker best film over the true better film. 

Considering the reputation comic book films have at these award ceremonies, I doubt they'll actually award Joker.

That said, Joker is truly one of the best films of the year, so its nomination is more than deserved. 

đŸƒđŸ–€đŸ‘č

9 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Tbh I'm SHOCKED at Parasite not being in the top category. it's one of the best movies I've seen in years and I see A LOT of movies. The Farewell was phenomenal as well. Truth be told, I loved Joker but I'm surprised it's competing for best drama.

Parasite can't compete in the Motion Picture, Drama category because it's competing in Foreign Language - the same thing happened with Roma last year. It's due to some weird rule that the HFPA have in place. 

11 minutes ago, Doot said:

Imagine how pissed Scorsese is going to be if Joker wins any of it's nominations over The Irishman :enigma:

ngl i'm rooting for joker for this very reason :ladyhaha:

you can serve it to me ancient city style...

Still got a lot of catching up to do on the film side, which I'm looking forward to. I've been lacking this year.

Too bad Kathryn Hahn (Mrs. Fletcher) and Zendaya (Euphoria) didn't make it - both absolutely crushed their parts. Christina Applegate is a welcome surprise for Dead To Me - a series I never expected to like as much as I did. 

And of course I can't let it go unnoticed - Nicole Kidman being a double nominee for the fourth time in her career - wow, the power and undeniable talent of that woman. :giveup:

YourCureness
3 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Does anyone think J-Lo bought this nomination? I've never seen anyone who played the role of a stripper being nominated for a big award like this. Such a role, even if it doesn't involve nudity, is considered the difference between being taken seriously or not by serious critic academies. It doesn't matter how well you played the role, it's still a stripper role. Something's not right here.

So tell we why should a stripler role not get nominated when a mass murderer role is nominated? Are you saying selling sex is worse than killing people? 

1 hour ago, mamo said:

Parasite can't compete in the Motion Picture, Drama category because it's competing in Foreign Language - the same thing happened with Roma last year. It's due to some weird rule that the HFPA have in place. 

Yeah I wasn't too happy with what he said regarding super hero movies. Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion (big running theme on the forum this week), but I thought his comment definitely disregarded all the positive things that those movies have done for people. 

2 hours ago, mamo said:

Ah thank you, that makes sense :kiss: even if we hate it.

12 hours ago, Doot said:

Yeah I wasn't too happy with what he said regarding super hero movies. Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion (big running theme on the forum this week), but I thought his comment definitely disregarded all the positive things that those movies have done for people. 

I understand where he's coming from, he's basically saying that these huge box office films like marvel are taking up too much space in the market which isn't fair to independent and smaller budget movies as they can barely secure cinema screenings which means less box office.

However the part I disagreed with is when Scorsese implied that comic book movies are vapid and have no-meaning, as you said before these films have a huge fandom and are close to people's hearts - there's a reason why they make so much money. There should be room for all kinds of movies as everyone is subjected to different tastes/genres. 

10 hours ago, pachinko said:

Why isn't Gaga nominated? :duck:

girl ASIB came out last year :selena:

I think it’s between Nicole Kidman and Olivia Coleman for TV. I really hope Helena Bonham Carter wins—i loves her performance 

43 minutes ago, Maleficent said:

I think it’s between Nicole Kidman and Olivia Coleman for TV. I really hope Helena Bonham Carter wins—i loves her performance 

that category is the most difficult to call!

I wouldn't count Jodie Comer (Killing Eve) out as she won the Emmy this year and Jennifer Aniston is also a favourite of the golden globes! If i'm being honest, I don't think Kidman is a lock this year as big little lies S2 didn't live up to it's first season which might affect her chances. 

StrawberryBlond
15 hours ago, mamo said:

This is such a problematic and old-fashioned/ignorant take - just because an actress is playing a role as a stripper doesn't take away the depth from the character. There's no such thing as a "stripper role" just a role and JLo served the purpose of the character Ramona for the film. Also it's worthy to mention that 'hustlers' was based on a true story that took place in NYC. 

FYI - the critics seems to love it. 

Yes but a lot of stripper roles aren't made to be viewed as a serious role. The movie makers know this, the academy sure does. Stripper roles are for self-adulation and to pull in money from men, let's just be real. "Stripper role" isn't a degrading term, it's just a term used to describe a form of acting, just like mother role, villain role, rebel role, tourtured role, whatever. Jennifer did that movie to prove 50 year olds can still look hot and to get the jubilation of having men drooling over her. That's the only reason actresses take on these roles, they know they're not going to win awards for this, unless it's Razzies. And that's just it - it is based on a true story and the real Ramona, Samantha Barbash, said that Jennifer didn't do her justice and never even met her to see if she'd embodied her correctly. You'll notice that she's clearly different to the portrayal Jennifer gave. If even the actual person it's based on disagrees with her portrayal, why should critics accept it as the real mccoy?

Yes, the critics loved it. Critics get paid to say good stuff all the time. The praise this movie got was very fishy. Movies like this never win critical praise.

14 hours ago, YourCureness said:

So tell we why should a stripler role not get nominated when a mass murderer role is nominated? Are you saying selling sex is worse than killing people? 

But a murderer role is all about playing someone who's totally different from yourself, which is the element of true acting. To play a deranged psychopathic killer is hard for a good person to do, hence why villain roles are so hard to portray and really proves someone's acting abilities. The only reason villain roles tend not to be up for awards is because it sends the wrong message to nominate and award a portrayal of evil over good. But the fact is that playing evil is one of the hardest things to do and it should get its dues. Stripper roles don't require great acting, it's all about the aesthetics. We don't want selling of sex, we want good acting. It's not sexist either, it's not just women who it applies to. The Magic Mike actors didn't get award nominations either. Nominating stripper roles mean awards shows will stop being taken seriously and after MeToo, Hollywood ceremonies have already taken a huge nosedive in public perception anyway. The overall reaction is that Jennifer's nomination is a joke and was likely bought.

Lazz Monster

hopefully The Crown, Olivia Colman and Helena win, that show is amazing and all of the cast is amazing :pray:

We're far from the Shallow now

Archived