Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
society

Mom WARNS About White Supremacy & Teen Recruitment!

Featured Posts

Halle

ehh... i feel like it's just edgy meme accounts she's being too concerned with. i don't think anyone's being 'recruited' by someone like that.

i'm not so sure about the gaming community though  as i'm not a part of it... 

8/23/12 | 9/30/14 | 7/8/15

En_Sabah_Nur
20 minutes ago, Halle said:

ehh... i feel like it's just edgy meme accounts she's being too concerned with. i don't think anyone's being 'recruited' by someone like that.

But what if it’s really happening tho like she says?  I.E. Charlottesville!  😐

Egypt. W
  • Like 2

homomo
57 minutes ago, Halle said:

White surpremicist groups/cults are definitely a real thing. Just look at the KKK. 

There’s also a group of them who formed here in Ireland last year, who protest anti-immigration things. They even threatened to burn down refugee centers and try to spark outrage by shifting headlines to make it look like POC are ‘ruining Ireland’

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Halle
15 minutes ago, homomo said:

White surpremicist groups/cults are definitely a real thing. Just look at the KKK. 

There’s also a group of them who formed here in Ireland last year, who protest anti-immigration things. They even threatened to burn down refugee centers and try to spark outrage by shifting headlines to make it look like POC are ‘ruining Ireland’

of course they're real... i do not disagree with that at all.

i'm just worried that some parents might be a bit too concerned about all this just because they one of those 'edgelord' or whatever meme accounts that are definitely not supposed to be places for the 'recruitment' she mentions. 

then again, there of course might be cases where someone goes a little nuts in those accounts and actually gets deeply interested in that kind of stuff. 

• Like 1

SamanthaC

Parents need to monitor their children online. Bottom line. Elementary and middle school students shouldn’t even have phones. You’d be surprised of the things I hear about that my students encounter online. And they’re proud of all their random followers they don’t know, in the 4th grade. Parents don’t pay attention to these things and it’s a problem. 

• Like 5
  • Shook 1
  • Thanks 2

homomo
25 minutes ago, Halle said:

then again, there of course might be cases where someone goes a little nuts in those accounts and actually gets deeply interested in that kind of stuff. 

And that is honestly a problem. Most of these types of accounts posting the memes and such relating to white supremacy are actually teens and pre-teen boys. Other kids their age will see it and think it’s funny because they do it, and will join in. They are basically de-sensitizing themselves and making fun of an issue that needs to be addressed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Halle
2 hours ago, homomo said:

And that is honestly a problem. Most of these types of accounts posting the memes and such relating to white supremacy are actually teens and pre-teen boys. Other kids their age will see it and think it’s funny because they do it, and will join in. They are basically de-sensitizing themselves and making fun of an issue that needs to be addressed.

True... but then also very young kids basically should not have access to internet at all in a way. The stuff that kids can look up anywhere can ruin them. 

2 hours ago, SamanthaC said:

Parents need to monitor their children online. Bottom line. Elementary and middle school students shouldn’t even have phones. You’d be surprised of the things I hear about that my students encounter online. And they’re proud of all their random followers they don’t know, in the 4th grade. Parents don’t pay attention to these things and it’s a problem. 

basically this!!

witchcocktor

Anyone scoffing at '' recruitment '' should probably watch this clip

• Thanks 1

Melech

Teens are always the easiest to recruit to ideologies like this or other radical forms. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

SamanthaC
8 hours ago, Halle said:

True... but then also very young kids basically should not have access to internet at all in a way. The stuff that kids can look up anywhere can ruin them. 

Yes. Our students 3-5 all have Chromebooks. We have a lot of filters on them but there are smarter people out there. We’ve still had kids look up/find p*rn. We used to have Go Guardian where we could see all students’ screens at one time. 

• Like 2

Economy
23 hours ago, SamanthaC said:

I agree tbh. Or if a kid does have a phone it should be a simple without data plan to call and text only in case their parents wanna be able to easily contact them and even then theres potential dangers to whatch out for of who they could add as contacts

id say anyone under the age of 14-16 (depending on their maturity level) parents have to really think about if they should have phones and if they do, what do their plans include and what freedoms do they have?

I didnt get a phone till i was 18 and worked for it (some of that was family money issues and i get that times change and now peoples have phones at a younger age).  My younger siblings got phones earlier on

Anyway kids are still maturing and their brain developing especially the last part to fully develop the decision making abilities which on average dont fully develop till your 25 (im 26 which means my brain has only been fully developed for about a year :duck:)

Anyway i do think circumstances vary, some kids are more trustworthy than others, some situations might require parents to be in more contact and thus a phone is required so its hard to put an exact age on it

But overall i agree very young kids having phones is iffy

when i have my kid(s) i think ill try to shelter them from social media and phones up to a certain age (at least till their tween years like 10-12)

Social media might be harder to control cuz a kid can secretly make accounts, but a phone has to be paid for so that id definitely have control to give them when i think they are ready

• Like 1

SamanthaC
10 minutes ago, Economy said:

I agree tbh. Or if a kid does have a phone it should be a simple without data plan to call and text only in case their parents wanna be able to easily contact them and even then theres potential dangers to whatch out for of who they could add as contacts

id say anyone under the age of 14-16 (depending on their maturity level) parents have to really think about if they should have phones and if they do, what do their plans include and what freedoms do they have?

I didnt get a phone till i was 18 and worked for it (some of that was family money issues and i get that times change and now peoples have phones at a younger age).  My younger siblings got phones earlier on

Anyway kids are still maturing and their brain developing especially the last part to fully develop the decision making abilities which on average dont fully develop till your 25 (im 26 which means my brain has only been fully developed for about a year :duck:)

Anyway i do think circumstances vary, some kids are more trustworthy than others, some situations might require parents to be in more contact and thus a phone is required so its hard to put an exact age on it

But overall i agree very young kids having phones is iffy

when i have my kid(s) i think ill try to shelter them from social media and phones up to a certain age (at least till their tween years like 10-12)

Social media might be harder to control cuz a kid can secretly make accounts, but a phone has to be paid for so that id definitely have control to give them when i think they are ready

I always hear parents (and students) say they need phones so they can get in contact with someone in case of an emergency. I’m sorry, but if your child is under the age of 12ish they shouldn’t be anywhere without an adult! The adult should be able to contact someone for an emergency. Or show the child how to make an emergency call (I’ve shown my best friend’s 7 year old). 10 is the age I have sitting in my classroom. They have no business on social media. They don’t understand it. They think everyone is their friend or that likes equal friendship. I’ve had a student in 5th grade says he was in a relationship with someone online (she claimed it was another 5th grader, but we all know how reliable that could be). She was 12. Social media is the worst thing in the world for children. 

• Like 2

Economy
20 minutes ago, SamanthaC said:

I always hear parents (and students) say they need phones so they can get in contact with someone in case of an emergency. I’m sorry, but if your child is under the age of 12ish they shouldn’t be anywhere without an adult! The adult should be able to contact someone for an emergency. Or show the child how to make an emergency call (I’ve shown my best friend’s 7 year old). 10 is the age I have sitting in my classroom. They have no business on social media. They don’t understand it. They think everyone is their friend or that likes equal friendship. I’ve had a student in 5th grade says he was in a relationship with someone online (she claimed it was another 5th grader, but we all know how reliable that could be). She was 12. Social media is the worst thing in the world for children. 

Agreed. Before cellphones became a thing parents and children got by just fine

when i was in school and didnt have a cellphone, the odd time i needed to make a call i asked to use the phone in the school office

we were technically supposed to use the pay phones but if we didn’t have money and it was important theyd always still let us use it

Faysalaaa

I use alot of these words as a joke, em I a nazi alt right white supremacist? lol saying culture today is too sensitive makes me alt right? 

Edited by Faysalaaa