Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
politics

Warren says she will soon release plan to fund 'Medicare for All'

Featured Posts

Ziggy
12 hours ago, MJHolland said:

I mean... yeah, about time.

This is probably the biggest issue voters care about and it's rather strange that the frontrunner — who prides herself on being policy-specific — won't go into detail about how she plans to pay for it to the magnitude of trillions of dollars. 

No matter what you think of the other candidates, we owe it to them for pressuring her to release her plan on how to pay for the trillions of dollars it would cost.

Like, if they didn't really pressure her during this last debate on Tuesday, who know how long she would have been dodging this question. 

I just find it strange that we're weeks away from when she is going to tell us who is going to pay for it. I understand the whole "well, you'll pay more in taxes but less in premiums/deductibles," but Warren even has a calculator on her website for how much her college tuition plan will save me. I want to know exactly what I'll be paying under this plan.   

People are mad that people put pressure on their fave. I mean, save this issue she's my favorite as well, but how can you expect to lead a race and earn a nomination when one of your key policy points is not fleshed out for voters to consider yet?

It's good that the moderates are there to ask her since Bernie isn't going to be the one to do it and someone needed to add respectful pressure. It's not like that Kamala Harris question about Twitter or Julian Castro last debate just being patently wrong about his Biden attacks. This is a reasonable expectation for a debate.

• Like 2

SEANGT

been waiting for this. Everyone thought her being vague on the costs had to do with her either not supporting a single-payer system or avoiding a soundbite for republicans -- but I figured the only thing that made sense was she wanted to create her own tax structure to fund it & didn't want to commit to anything before it's released. Ta-da. Here it is. 

If it's actually less heavy on middle-class taxes than Bernie's then she's going to get a big boost in support I think. Otherwise it'll probably be a disaster. We'll see. 

I'm not 100% sure who I'll vote for but this may seal the deal for me. 

• Like 1

Born To Slay
14 minutes ago, SEANGT said:

been waiting for this. Everyone thought her being vague on the costs had to do with her either not supporting a single-payer system or avoiding a soundbite for republicans -- but I figured the only thing that made sense was she wanted to create her own tax structure to fund it & didn't want to commit to anything before it's released. Ta-da. Here it is. 

If it's actually less heavy on middle-class taxes than Bernie's then she's going to get a big boost in support I think. Otherwise it'll probably be a disaster. We'll see. 

I'm not 100% sure who I'll vote for but this may seal the deal for me. 

Bernie’s plan, and I hate to say this as a big fan of his, is incomplete in the payment. So if Warrens plan honestly covers the cost, it’ll be more than his. 

Morphine Prince
10 hours ago, MJHolland said:

Ok, but "vultures" makes it sounds like an unfair criticism. It is a 1000% valid question to ask Warren and Bernie how much my taxes will go up. 

I get it, a single-payer system may be more efficient, but voters deserve a straight answer on which of us will be paying more than we are right now in terms of overall dollars out. 

Called them vultures cause the attacks were coming mostly from the single digit, no chance to win individuals :oops:

The friends I've had to bury, they keep me up at night

SEANGT
1 hour ago, Born To Slay said:

Bernie’s plan, and I hate to say this as a big fan of his, is incomplete in the payment. So if Warrens plan honestly covers the cost, it’ll be more than his. 

I mean congress has the power to tax just about anything. I'm just saying if she shifts the burden even further on to higher earners, wall street, employers, whatever, anything besides families making under $80k/year or whatever, that'll be huge. 

• Like 1

Whispering

I’m looking forward to a more detailed plan. We will see how it will set with voters.

All of this is just talk anyway if Democrats don’t take back the Senate, along with the Presidency.

• Like 1

Born To Slay
9 minutes ago, Whispering said:

I’m looking forward to a more detailed plan. We will see how it will set with voters.

All of this is just talk anyway if Democrats don’t take back the Senate, along with the Presidency.

And get rid of the filibuster 

ItsTommyBitch
6 hours ago, Born To Slay said:

Well here’s the thing tho, under Medicare For All employers will likely be hit with a payroll tax while also losing their tax break for health insurance. So employers, at least under a Sanders plan, would pay a significant amount of the cost of the bill. 

Employers will pay either a 7.5% payroll tax or 75% of what they currently pay for health care coverage per person enrolled in Medicare For All (whichever generates more income based on the company), with the first $2 million in payroll exempted entirely - that bit is meant to protect small business owners while again making the wealthiest and largest of companies employers accountable for this.

This will reduce the costs overall for many employers.

Some employers argue that offering prestigious or higher quality health insurance is a "Draw" in when looking for employees (and they are correct), but even if that is no longer possible, on the other end it has the effect of freeing up people who wish to start businesses but don't have the finances to cover health insurance or guarantee beyond bare minimum health insurance. So that's also a potential net boon, or at least it evens out in the larger scheme of things.

To me this is an issue where I think high end employers would just have to accept that what is best for them financially is at odds with the rest of the country. They would pay less money to run their businesses, but lose this bargaining chip... But the flip side to that is that all people have quality health insurance regardless of their job and career aspirations. As is, its not like all business owners can afford to offer high quality insurance anyway, so we're really again redistributing wealth and power here and guaranteeing Health Care as a right - not a variable to bargain with. The current system kills an undue number of people yearly and is immoral through and through in my mind... So this  is part of the broader goal of many other policy proposals by Progressives - weakening wealth inequality.

Business owners who can afford to have multiple high-end insurance options and don't have to worry about being cost effective will lose this, but MOST business owners will save money, so its a trade off.

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

MJHolland
14 hours ago, Morphine Prince said:

Called them vultures cause the attacks were coming mostly from the single digit, no chance to win individuals :oops:

The validity of an argument has nothing to do with poll numbers sweetie 

Just remember that things can turn south just as quickly for any of these candidates 

Morphine Prince
5 minutes ago, MJHolland said:

The validity of an argument has nothing to do with poll numbers sweetie 

Just remember that things can turn south just as quickly for any of these candidates 

You’re right, but it’s politics. They came after her hard BECAUSE of her poll numbers. 

At the next debate they’ll all jump on Biden again once he’s the clear frontrunner again. 

The friends I've had to bury, they keep me up at night