Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
society

huge protests in Santiago over the increase of metro prices

Featured Posts

Andreu

Protesters - many of them high school and university students - jumped turnstiles, attacked several underground stations, started fires and blocked traffic, leaving widespread damage across the city and thousands of commuters without transport.

Television pictures showed protesters throwing stones, attacking police vehicles and burning at least one bus. Anti-riot police used tear gas and batons against some protesters, who have been demonstrating for days against the increase.

The unrest exposes divisions in the country, one of Latin America's wealthiest but also one of its most unequal. There have been growing complaints about the cost of living - especially in Santiago, a city of some six million people - and calls for economic reforms.

Earlier this month, the government increased fares by as much as $1.17 (£0.90) for a journey during peak hours, blaming higher energy costs and a weaker peso.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-50106743

soundcloud.com/andreusongs

homomo
8 minutes ago, Biggest Fan said:

Why attack buses and start fires 

they should not use violence 

Violence is the only way to fight government corruption. Did you really think making signs and shouting will get the rich upper elite to make any change?

No, make them pay. And no one is mentioning the fact that Chilean police are opening fire on these people in the public, regardless if they are the ones protesting or not. It shows their governments true identity right there.

• Shook 1
  • Thanks 8

Lord Temptation

So much for peaceful protests :bye:

Isn’t Chile the wealthiest country in South Amerika? :bye:

Nicklev

People are sick of unequality, destruction of environment and crime. Violence should not be the way. How could we fix this mess? There's gonna be no future
If we don't figure this out

Autumn

It's been proven that governments don't listen to peaceful protests

I'm not encouraging violence at all, just saying that these more rebellious and violent protests might be the only way to get governments to listen

It isn't like South America is the centre of democracy

• formerly ARealWildMan, WarriorPhoenix •
  • Like 2

weed

Chile definitely has an insane wealth gap, my school was right next to a slum (tin houses, barbed wire fence between us). That increase is honestly massive, if you look at it. $1 = ~500 pesos back then, pretty sure I'd only pay ~1000 per trip on a bus or metro....

• Shook 1

Andreu
11 minutes ago, Lord Temptation said:

Isn’t Chile the wealthiest country in South Amerika? :bye:

but also the one with the biggest wage gaps

Miracle

I don't know why "peaceful protests" is even a thing. Very few peaceful protests have worked in the history of humans

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

nefasto

Awante el pueblo ctm

Anyway, Piñera's Government is f*cking awful and it's not just the metro problem, the real problem is the sistematic and institutionalized violence, Inequality and injustice that people like me and millions of Chileans living everyday in every aspect like education,health and how expensive is living here with an awful salary. Sorry for my shitty english

• YAAAS 2
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

Lord Temptation
Just now, Miracle said:

I don't know why "peaceful protests" is even a thing. Very few peaceful protests have worked in the history of humans

Are you kidding? The Autumn of 1989 was entirely peaceful and ENDED communism in over 12 countries. 

4 minutes ago, Andreu said:

but also the one with the biggest wage gaps

Higher averages always are correlated with higher standard deviations. That doesn’t explain the violence, though.

Andreu
4 minutes ago, Miracle said:

I think it's good to try first to achieve things without violence, but if violence is the only way that people's voice is heard, why not. And we would have to agree on what violence is, since it's a very vage word.

• Like 1

Andreu
1 minute ago, Lord Temptation said:

That doesn’t explain the violence, though.

and I did not say it does

Lord Temptation
10 minutes ago, Andreu said:

and I did not say it does

So the wage gap has nothing to do with the situation as all higher income countries have higher inequality. 

It’s no excuse for violence.

Edited by Lord Temptation
  • LMAO 4