Jump to content
Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
economy

US Unemployment At 50 Year Low!

Featured Posts

Economy

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-49934309

 

US unemployment hits 3.5% the lowest since 1969 or 50 years.

 

However there are signs the economy may be hitting a peak and things could go downhill from here:

 

- wage growth which had finally started picking up is starting to stall again last several months

- monthly job creation has dropped in half in last year

- hiring and investment intentions among Corporations are dropping as trade tensions create uncertainty and force caution

- Stock market is showing signs of fatigue

- manufacturing, a sector with good paying jobs has been contracting for the last 6 months tho for now that has not spilled over to other sectors of the economy

 

Opinions differ whether were heading for recession or just a slowdown but almost no expert expects solid economic growth either in 2020 or 2021

  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
JusKeepBreathin

Does it really matter when single moms need two or three jobs to survive? Or when teachers need a second job too.

Edited by JusKeepBreathin
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 4

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Economy
5 minutes ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

Does it really matter when single moms need two or three jobs to survive? Or when teachers need a second jobs too.

So because the economy is still bad it therefore cant be reported?

 

im not Donald Trump. I make threads on bad economic news alike not only the good

  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
AHippieIsBorn
46 minutes ago, Economy said:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-49934309

 

US unemployment hits 3.5% the lowest since 1969 or 50 years.

 

However there are signs the economy may be hitting a peak and things could go downhill from here:

 

- wage growth which had finally started picking up is starting to stall again last several months

- monthly job creation has dropped in half in last year

- hiring and investment intentions among Corporations are dropping as trade tensions create uncertainty and force caution

- Stock market is showing signs of fatigue

- manufacturing, a sector with good paying jobs has been contracting for the last 6 months tho for now that has not spilled over to other sectors of the economy

 

Opinions differ whether were heading for recession or just a slowdown but almost no expert expects solid economic growth either in 2020 or 2021

Thanks for making this post :kara:

Unfortunately, I'll be looking for a different job come the new year so I'm hoping my chances aren't affected :huntyga:

EDIT: Is this the result of Obama's action before he left the white House, or the clown?

Edited by AHippieIsBorn

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
JusKeepBreathin
Just now, Economy said:

So because the economy is still bad it therefore cant be reported?

 

im not Donald Trump. I make threads on bad economic news alike not only the good

I'm not attacking you, I'm sorry if came off that way. I like your economy threads. I'm talking about how low unemployment numbers don't mean what they used to mean anymore or rather what they used to mean in 1969.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Economy
3 minutes ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

I'm not attacking you, I'm sorry if came off that way. I like your economy threads. I'm talking about how low unemployment numbers don't mean what they used to mean anymore or rather what they used to mean in 1969.

I know. Theres a lot of stuff unemployment doesnt tell u. Someone working 20h a week on minimum wage vs someone making $100,000 a year is a big difference but unemployment figure doesnt take job quality and affordability into consideration

  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
pachinko

This doesn't  represent the quality of the jobs or number of  jobs required to live your life. 

Edited by pachinko
  • Like 5

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matangi

The models that conservatives and establishment outlets use to measure how "well" the economy is doing are flawed and inauthentic. 

Yes, unemployment may be at an all time low, yes the US's GDP is increasing, and if you look at the stocks conventional wisdom tells you that our economy is flourishing. However, this doesn't tell you ANYTHING about wages for average people, it doesn't show that we currently have the greatest wealth and income inequality that we have had in centuries, and it doesn't show you that the current life expectancy for Americans is actually declining  for the first time in decades.

No, by all reasonable and remotely equal standards, our economy is not doing well.

Edited by Matangi
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Economy
5 minutes ago, AHippieIsBorn said:

Thanks for making this post :kara:

Unfortunately, I'll be looking for a different job come the new year so I'm hoping my chances aren't affected :huntyga:

EDIT: Is this the result of Obama's action before he left the white House, or the clown?

Obama did a few things to help but honestly most of the factors at play are way beyond either of the Presidents

 

the economy has so much more factors at play than the President

  • Thanks 2

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Economy
Just now, Matangi said:

The models that conservatives and establishment outlets use to measure how "well" the economy is doing are flawed and inauthentic. 

Yes, unemployment may be at an all time low, yes the US's GDP is increasing, and if you look at the stocks conventional wisdom tells you that our economy is flourishing. However, this doesn't tell you ANYTHING about wages for average people, it doesn't show that we currently have the greatest wealth and income inequality that we have had in centuries, and it doesn't show you that the current life expectancy for American is actually declining for the first time in decades.

No, by all reasonable and remotely equal standards, our economy is not doing well.

I agree. I report on that stuff often. Yall seem triggered i was not trying to suggest all is dandy

 

Here in Canada unemployment is near record lows too and just like the US, real wages for the bottom 50% are not keeping up with rise in cost of living

  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matangi
Just now, Economy said:

I agree. I report on that stuff often. Yall seem triggered i was not trying to suggest all is dandy

 

Here in Canada unemployment is near record lows too and just like the US, real wages for the bottom 50% are not keeping up with rise in cost of living

I wasn't necessarily responding to you, more to the idea that this should even be a headline? It's far less meaningful than it seems.

  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
ZacharyMark
6 minutes ago, Economy said:

I agree. I report on that stuff often. Yall seem triggered i was not trying to suggest all is dandy

 

Here in Canada unemployment is near record lows too and just like the US, real wages for the bottom 50% are not keeping up with rise in cost of living

Yea or people just see the bigger picture and want to point that out in response to the media/government telling us everything is fine when it really isn’t for many people... not sure why you have to call people triggered for merely responding to an article... it’s not like you wrote it. but then again maybe it’s true that people should be “triggered” when the wage gap and inflation continues to hit hard working people...

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lord Temptation

And for women the unemployment rate is 3.4% - the lowest in 67 years.

While for Hispanics and African Americans, it’s the lowest EVER.

:firega:

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
doppelganger
18 minutes ago, Matangi said:

I wasn't necessarily responding to you, more to the idea that this should even be a headline? It's far less meaningful than it seems.

The headline is objective. It is what it is. Any discourse is welcome! 

What's the median or typical household wage in the US? Anyone can share? Google says it's $32k which seems pretty high, considering the US is a fairly affordable place to live? Or at least that's the impression that I have. 

And what about youth unemployment?

Edited by doppelganger

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matangi
8 minutes ago, doppelganger said:

The headline is objective. It is what it is. Any discourse is welcome! 

What's the median or typical household wage in the US? Anyone can share? Google says it's $32k which seems pretty high, considering the US is a fairly affordable place to live? Or at least that's the impression that I have. 

And what about youth unemployment?

It is objective, but so are many other facts that are worth the same amount or airtime/space. But in urban areas where most of the US populations are centered, it is not an affordable place to live, and  32k is quite low

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...