Stefani Tee
economy

Thomas Cook Goes Bust

Featured Posts

xoxo Craig

The UK's biggest ever peacetime repatriation effort is underway following the collapse of holiday firm Thomas Cook.

The programme, named Operation Matterhorn, is expected to last until Sunday 6 October and will rescue 150,000 stranded customers - almost twice the number brought home after Monarch Airlines failed in 2017 - at an estimated cost of £100m.

The debt-ridden company entered compulsory liquidation in the early hours of the morning after it failed to secure an extra £200m needed to keep it afloat following talks with creditors and the government.

Around one million customers who had travel booked in the coming months have been told not to go to the airport, as all bookings, including flights and holidays, have been cancelled.

https://news.sky.com/story/thomas-cook-ceases-trading-flights-bringing-stranded-customers-home-11817529

https://news.sky.com/story/the-millstone-around-the-neck-of-thomas-cook-that-tipped-its-collapse-11817610

This could easliy be put down to the cost of Brexit, and the thing is Brexit hasnt even begun yet. We are already seeing big companies either relocate their offices or go bust like Thomas Cook. This foreshadows the economic effect of Brexit. Its a sad day for Aviation lovers like myself... rest in peace Thomas Cook :bradley:

• Sad 1

TROLLGA

whoa what the hell, i remember always seeing thomas cook in my town centre when i was young and it's just... weird to see that they're gone for good now :noparty: i've never flown abroad or anything but it's still pretty weird to me.

im addicted to smash bros ultimate heLp
  • Love 1

RAMROD

Why did they keep taking costumers/passengers well knowing they don't have the mean to do it? Now they are letting travellers stranded all over the place cos theyvare liquidated.  Very irresponsible of them. :diane:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ ♥ What ♥ A ♥ Fine ♥ Coat ♥ Of ♥ Fur! ♥

xoxo Craig
3 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

Why did they keep taking costumers/passengers well knowing they don't have the mean to do it? Now they are letting travellers stranded all over the place cos theyvare liquidated.  Very irresponsible of them. :diane:

Tbf when a company is on the brinks of collapse, they try to find someone to buy the company... it was only at 2am this morning that it was offical, game over for Thomas Cook and therefore any current flights are now grounded. 

• Thanks 1

gagzus

Well there goes my holiday for 2020 💀it’s such a shame I always revered Thomas Cook as a kid because they were seen as the more “expensive” of the affordable airlines. British Airways it is then girls 

2012ga is my aesthetic

Dolce Vita

I’m screaming 💀 I flew with them to Florida a few weeks ago

xoxo Craig
22 minutes ago, gagzus said:

Well there goes my holiday for 2020 💀it’s such a shame I always revered Thomas Cook as a kid because they were seen as the more “expensive” of the affordable airlines. British Airways it is then girls 

Yeah Thomas Cook were always seen as like the M&S of airlines...  if you have already booked your holiday for next year, try go through the CAA or ATOL and then try book with another airline 

xoxo Craig
9 minutes ago, Dolce Vita said:

I’m screaming 💀 I flew with them to Florida a few weeks ago

Are you still there or did you get home okay? :poot:

Myself

I used to work for this amazing company. Very sad to see it ending like this and to see all my ex colleagues left with no job is heartbreaking.

• Love 1
  • Sad 2

Dolce Vita
6 hours ago, xoxo Craig said:

Are you still there or did you get home okay? :poot:

sksksks I managed to get home but the hurricane was coming to Orlando literally a FEW DAYS before my flight and I was shook. 

• Love 1

S0436

I’m glad that the tax payer didn’t have to bail them out, it is a private company after all.  The top managers paid themselves handsome bonuses last year even though the company was on the skids.  Companies like this went bust years before Brexit became ‘a thing’ and will continue to do so.