Jump to content
Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
economy

Trump Wants 0% Interest Rates

Featured Posts

Economy

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/trump-calls-on-fed-to-cut-interest-rates-to-zero-or-less-1.1314416

 

Trump is once again criticizing the fed and this time asking for 0% rates or below and to go back to QE money printing which was done in 2008 after the crisis

 

in addition to the fact that Trump should not be comenting on the Fed, most experts agree rates that low now would be a terrible idea

 

Trump has repeatedly called this “the best economy ever” while simultaneously he wants emergency low rates that are not justified under current economic conditions 

Edited by Economy
  • LMAO 3

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
BenG

Wouldn't that lead to crazy inflation? He's just worried the economy will go into a recession before his re-election

  • Like 2

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
PartySick
8 minutes ago, BenG said:

Wouldn't that lead to crazy inflation? He's just worried the economy will go into a recession before his re-election

That's kind of been the back and forth since...idk, the late 80's? Maybe sooner.

A republican ruins the economy but the effects aren't seen until a democrat beats them. Then the dem takes the poll hits for the crap economy but by the time they leave office, the economy is either fixed or on the up swing. Then a republican gets in and takes credit for it because the benefits of the recovery are seen in their term.

Source: Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama, and Trump admins.

I identify as Michael Jackson. My pronouns are he/hee.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Economy
5 minutes ago, PartySick said:

That's kind of been the back and forth since...idk, the late 80's? Maybe sooner.

A republican ruins the economy but the effects aren't seen until a democrat beats them. Then the dem takes the poll hits for the crap economy but by the time they leave office, the economy is either fixed or on the up swing. Then a republican gets in and takes credit for it because the benefits of the recovery are seen in their term.

Source: Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama, and Trump admins.

I mean theres a lot more at play with these economic swings than presidents

 

this economic expansion has mostly been fueled by factors that had absolutely nothing to do with Obama

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Economy
19 minutes ago, BenG said:

Wouldn't that lead to crazy inflation? He's just worried the economy will go into a recession before his re-election

Inflation, assets bubbles, eccesive debt taking and investment misallocations among other problems

 

interest rates lower than economic conditions justify always causes problems long term

 

the stronger the economy is, the tighther monetary policy needs to be to keep lending, risk taking, inflation etc in check or the economy overheats in a very unsustainable manner 

 

Very low interest rates are fine when economy is very weak when lending is limited, consumers cautious anyway, investors more cautious and inflation subdued. But when economy gets stronger not raising rates starts to create distortions

 

as @Sour Jube said below on the quote, this is very self serving as the benefits would be very short term for Trumps elections while it would ruin the economy later on 

 

16 minutes ago, Sour Jube said:

That's sustainable monetary policy and not self-serving in the least.

Lady Gaga Eye Roll GIF by Jimmy Kimmel Live

 

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
JevyDuty
37 minutes ago, Economy said:

I mean theres a lot more at play with these economic swings than presidents

 

this economic expansion has mostly been fueled by factors that had absolutely nothing to do with Obama

Of course there's more to the Economy than who's president but the presidency is a crucial component. 

And to say it has "Absolutely Nothing" to do with Obama as if he did not navigate us from a 2008 Economy to a 2016 Economy. Trump got a stable economy on an upward trend. It had everything to do with Obama.

  • Like 2

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Economy
38 minutes ago, JevyDuty said:

Of course there's more to the Economy than who's president but the presidency is a crucial component. 

And to say it has "Absolutely Nothing" to do with Obama as if he did not navigate us from a 2008 Economy to a 2016 Economy. Trump got a stable economy on an upward trend. It had everything to do with Obama.

The main thing obama did to steer the economy from 2008 crisis was the stimulus package and bailouts but that doesnt take a genius to do. Other countries around the world did the exact same thing... but:

 

- the fed did a lot with easy monetary policy

- imbalances that corrected during recession happen on their own as part of economic cycle

- the energy boom especially in shale oil and gas which created high paying jobs, helped manufacturing and have helped keep energy prices lower

- and of course other levels of government like states also have some response to recessions 

 

those are factors that had nothing to do with the president. He put in a few good regulations i agreed with but honestly i dont think he did a tone that u can say cured the economy all things considered

 

im not saying i didnt approve of him as president or that i didnt like him dont get me wrong. But i find GGD gives him too much credit on the economy. The majority of it wasnt him

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
JevyDuty
1 minute ago, Economy said:

The main thing obama did to steer the economy from 2008 crisis was the stimulus package and bailouts but that doesnt take a genius to do. Other countries around the world did the exact same thing... but:

 

im not saying i didnt approve of him as president or that i didnt like him dont get me wrong. But i find GGD gives him too much credit on the economy. The majority of it wasnt him

Ok... I left politics due to Trump but I paid very close attention to Obama's presidency. And once again, for you to say things so nonchalantly... girl! Did he not have to fight tooth and nail for these bailouts and stimulus packages? The Republicans wanted to let the Automobile Industry collapse and it would have if they were in charge. "The feds" are nominated by Obama and therefore their action is an extension of his.

The majority was ALLOWED by him to take place. A president can stand in the way of progress. Besides, Obama made sure that the less fortunate was not overshadowed during the recession. He aimed our resources beyond the top down approach Republicans love. And the rest is history. A different president, whether Republican or Democrat,  would have gotten a different economy by 2016. The presidency matters.

  • Thanks 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Economy
1 hour ago, JevyDuty said:

Ok... I left politics due to Trump but I paid very close attention to Obama's presidency. And once again, for you to say things so nonchalantly... girl! Did he not have to fight tooth and nail for these bailouts and stimulus packages? The Republicans wanted to let the Automobile Industry collapse and it would have if they were in charge. "The feds" are nominated by Obama and therefore their action is an extension of his.

The majority was ALLOWED by him to take place. A president can stand in the way of progress. Besides, Obama made sure that the less fortunate was not overshadowed during the recession. He aimed our resources beyond the top down approach Republicans love. And the rest is history. A different president, whether Republican or Democrat,  would have gotten a different economy by 2016. The presidency matters.

The parties in opposition love to criticize and always say the opposite

 

Like bush was already talking about needed bailouts for auto industry before Obama even took over as president

 

usual politics tbh. If it was the other way around i can see the left saying how dare we fund corportations

 

anyway i think were going off topic. I never said obama didnt do good things. I said a lot of it had nothing to do with him

 

as for the fed they have mandates that have been set in stone for decades. Whoever the republicans would have appointed likely would have responded the same way. The fed comitees are more technical and less political

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Miracle
23 minutes ago, Economy said:

The parties in opposition love to criticize and always say the opposite

 

Like bush was already talking about needed bailouts for auto industry before Obama even took over as president

 

usual politics tbh. If it was the other way around i can see the left saying how dare we fund corportations

 

anyway i think were going off topic. I never said obama didnt do good things. I said a lot of it had nothing to do with him

 

as for the fed they have mandates that have been set in stone for decades. Whoever the republicans would have appointed likely would have responded the same way. The fed comitees are more technical and less political

Sometimes I wonder how you separate economy and the people and only do numbers. Takes a really cold-minded, calculated, rational person to do that. Props.

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
NCgaga
2 hours ago, JevyDuty said:

Ok... I left politics due to Trump but I paid very close attention to Obama's presidency. And once again, for you to say things so nonchalantly... girl! Did he not have to fight tooth and nail for these bailouts and stimulus packages? The Republicans wanted to let the Automobile Industry collapse and it would have if they were in charge. "The feds" are nominated by Obama and therefore their action is an extension of his.

The majority was ALLOWED by him to take place. A president can stand in the way of progress. Besides, Obama made sure that the less fortunate was not overshadowed during the recession. He aimed our resources beyond the top down approach Republicans love. And the rest is history. A different president, whether Republican or Democrat,  would have gotten a different economy by 2016. The presidency matters.

But the idea of bailouts came from Bush, not Obama.  And Obama def had his faults though his heart was in the right places(obamacare failure). 

I'm pro Obama, btw-I would much rather him be in office than what we have now. I'm just trying to make sure everything stays accurate. We really haven't had a president that can take all the credit or blame for economical success or failure- but 0% interest rates is very obviously self serving on Trump's side. I hope the GP will see through this. 

  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nightwing

Judging from his track record, I'm going to assume this would, in turn, be a very bad thing in the long run.

  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Adriana Lima

Well, many months ago RT America' s Rick Sanchez said that soon interest rates will go down to %0 and later below 0 which is negative interest rate meaning that you will have to pay banks to deposit your money.

Whole world economy is in a really bad situation. Its just not that appearent as rich are living their nice life in front of the media, social media which makes it seem everything is well. Compares to crisis early 2000s, i think everything is worse now.

Economy, enviroment, everything is in a bad situation. Sad for new generations :(:(

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Economy
1 hour ago, Miracle said:

Sometimes I wonder how you separate economy and the people and only do numbers. Takes a really cold-minded, calculated, rational person to do that. Props.

Cold minded ouch. Im actually known for being a super loving and compassionate person among my friends not cold :sweat:

 

but when it comes to talking about something in a big picture or a generalization i like to try to focus on all the factors at play. Also Regardless of who i favour overall im rarely biased (or at least id like to think im not). I can call out constant bs from whoever i support and say he/she is wrong on this or that

 

during election time (Canada has 3 major parties) its hard for me to decide who on a net basis i support the most as they all have things i like and dislike

 

all of them twist facts tho and look for cheap shots to fire at which annoys me. Since i follow economic trends closely, i know when politicians are being unfair with oppsition and thats all parties on a daily basis that are guilty of that :saladga:

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...