Stefani Tee
science

Use of HIV prevention pill, PrEP, rises 500%, report says

Featured Posts

Bloody

I'm thinking of going on prep too these days actually.

I'm always using condoms, there's no way I'm having unsafe sex. I read all the comments above, but I'm thinking of the side affects and how it's going to affect me. :wtfga:

𝕤𝕚𝕥 𝕓𝕒𝕔𝕜 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕖𝕟𝕛𝕠𝕪 𝕪𝕠𝕦𝕣 𝕡𝕣𝕠𝕓𝕝𝕖𝕞𝕤, 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕕𝕠𝕟'𝕥 𝕒𝕝𝕨𝕒𝕪𝕤 𝕙𝕒𝕧𝕖 𝕥𝕠 𝕤𝕠𝕝𝕧𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕞

HotLikeMexico
9 hours ago, Bloody said:

I'm thinking of going on prep too these days actually.

I'm always using condoms, there's no way I'm having unsafe sex. I read all the comments above, but I'm thinking of the side affects and how it's going to affect me. :wtfga:

I was on prep and still was always safe. I got on prep as an extra precaution not because I wanted to have condomless sex, but because I wanted the extra piece of mind.

Why I got my on prep initially was because a condom broke when I had sex and I immediately panicked. Even tho I was the top and risk was lower than if I was the receptive partner, I did it for myself as people (especially a hook up) might not always be honest about their status. I went to a clinic immediately to get check.  I also found out (where I am) you only get ONE PEP Pill (it's kinda like a morning after pill for HIV risk) in your lifetime at a free clinic in case something like that happens. I thought that was complete bullshit so I immediately was like I dont ever want to go through a scare like this again. I went on Prep immediately right after that. I didn't feel any side effects but everyone is different.

Hopefully this gives you some insight and thats great that you still practice safe sex regardless. I did and I advocate more people to still be safe even on prep. 

• Thanks 1

JusKeepBreathin

I'm on Prep. I don't see why everyone isnt on it. It doesn't mean you don't use codoms I mean hello there are other STD's but it protects you from HIV.

Especially if you live in a big city where about 2 of every 3 gay bi men have HIV.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.
  • Sad 1

ToughHooker
17 hours ago, JFK said:

Exacrly. My EX-boyfriend told me he was on a date with  one guy year ago like a month ago. 

I got really scared. 

Unfortunately, prep is not available in my country. 

fixed it for you, no need to thank me hon. :huntyga:

The Carpenters
47 minutes ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

I'm on Prep. I don't see why everyone isnt on it. It doesn't mean you don't use codoms I mean hello there are other STD's but it protects you from HIV.

Especially if you live in a big city where about 2 of every 3 gay bi men have HIV.

In what city do 2 out of 3 gay and bi men have HIV? I’ve never heard anything like that. Please back that up with something factual because these scare tactics are not good.

Gracious Gaga
17 hours ago, Alexander Levi said:

I mean obviously. But then should people never get pregnant because there's a possibility their husband is sleeping around with other women so they should always use a condom cause there's a chance they could have an STD?

I get it - but I trust him enough.

This didn’t make any sense :huh:

xoxo gracious gaga

fede ARTPOP
22 hours ago, Alexander Levi said:

Yes but is there a risk for HIV if we stay in a monogamous relationship? Then why don't we also tell this to women who have unprotected sex with their boyfriends/husband's? As their husbands could be having plenty of affairs.

Of course, I think it's best to stay safe for the first couple months/year of your relationship. But if my partner and I love and trust each other enough - then I'm not going to spend money on this pill. If he screws me over, it's not my fault and I'm not to be blamed 🤷🏻‍♂️

But I'm also not going to tell my boyfriend of many years "I'm going to go on prep cause you might get drunk one night and cheat on me and get HIV"

Sadly it happens, in homo and straight partners. 

🖤 - I’M BACK - 🖤

uo111
6 hours ago, HotLikeMexico said:

I was on prep and still was always safe. I got on prep as an extra precaution not because I wanted to have condomless sex, but because I wanted the extra piece of mind.

Why I got my on prep initially was because a condom broke when I had sex and I immediately panicked. Even tho I was the top and risk was lower than if I was the receptive partner, I did it for myself as people (especially a hook up) might not always be honest about their status. I went to a clinic immediately to get check.  I also found out (where I am) you only get ONE PEP Pill (it's kinda like a morning after pill for HIV risk) in your lifetime at a free clinic in case something like that happens. I thought that was complete bullshit so I immediately was like I dont ever want to go through a scare like this again. I went on Prep immediately right after that. I didn't feel any side effects but everyone is different.

Hopefully this gives you some insight and thats great that you still practice safe sex regardless. I did and I advocate more people to still be safe even on prep. 

PEP and PrEP are the same pill. It’s literally just the dosing/duration that are different.

What an odd rule for a clinic to have. Seems more like a scare tactic to get people to use it as PrEP instead of PEP.

Also, this medication has real and potentially serious side effects. Please do not take it for no reason (and yes, taking PrEP while in a long term monogamous relationship because you are paranoid is taking it for no reason).

Edited by uo111

HotLikeMexico
2 minutes ago, uo111 said:

PEP and PrEP are the same pill. It’s literally just the dosing/duration that are different.

What an odd rule for a clinic to have. Seems more like a scare tactic to get people to use it as PrEP instead of PEP.

I didn’t know that at the time when it happened. I learned it was the equivalent when I started PrEP.

The rules might’ve change about how often to you can get PEP if you had an at risk exposure.

This happened three or so years ago when I experienced this. Clinics might now give PEP more readily. This could also have been a county thing as the nurses said you could only get PEP one time and agreed the rule was stupid. 

I have no idea tbh. 

uo111
2 minutes ago, HotLikeMexico said:

I didn’t know that at the time when it happened. I learned it was the equivalent when I started PrEP.

The rules might’ve change about how often to you can get PEP if you had an at risk exposure.

This happened three or so years ago when I experienced this. Clinics might now give PEP more readily. This could also have been a county thing as the nurses said you could only get PEP one time and agreed the rule was stupid. 

I have no idea tbh. 

It’s probably actually just that the lawmakers have no idea what the difference is.

Lawmakers pass laws about healthcare without knowing anything at all about it. The system is ****ed.

Alexander Levi
6 hours ago, Gracious Gaga said:

This didn’t make any sense :huh:

Essentially they were telling me I should use protected sex cause my partner could cheat on me and give me an STD.

And I’m saying that if this is the case, women would never get pregnant cause they would need to have protected sex cause of the chance their husband cheats on them. But just because there’s a small chance their husband is cheating on them, doesn’t mean they need to use protection if they trust the other person. 

i was trying to draw a parallel.

Edited by Alexander Levi

Gracious Gaga
12 hours ago, Alexander Levi said:

Essentially they were telling me I should use protected sex cause my partner could cheat on me and give me an STD.

And I’m saying that if this is the case, women would never get pregnant cause they would need to have protected sex cause of the chance their husband cheats on them. But just because there’s a small chance their husband is cheating on them, doesn’t mean they need to use protection if they trust the other person. 

i was trying to draw a parallel.

Oh I get it !

xoxo gracious gaga

Guillaume Hamon
On 7/12/2019 at 11:59 AM, Schizophonic said:

and sorry guys, most of you are very young and innocent. thats a ig dangous risk. you newer know what the peroson did

So true...

I saw guys who were saying they were sure to "have nothing" then they were talking about their sex life.

It included tons of partners with often no protection so actually it was pretty sure they did have something.

JusKeepBreathin
On 7/12/2019 at 5:13 PM, The Carpenters said:

In what city do 2 out of 3 gay and bi men have HIV? I’ve never heard anything like that. Please back that up with something factual because these scare tactics are not good.

The  number is 1  out of 5 in major US cities.  67% or 2 out of 3 was another HIV statistic in that same study. I got confused.

A study in 20 major U.S. cities found that about 1 in 5 (22%) men who have sex with men is living with HIV, and, of those, 1 in 4 are unaware of their infection.66 Prevalence among Blacks was higher (36%) and awareness of infection was lower (67%), compared with men who have sex with men in the study overall.67

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kff.org/hivaids/fact-sheet/the-hivaids-epidemic-in-the-united-states-the-basics/amp/

Edited by JusKeepBreathin
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.
  • Thanks 1

Schizophonic
On 7/13/2019 at 6:26 PM, Guillaume Hamon said:

So true...

I saw guys who were saying they were sure to "have nothing" then they were talking about their sex life.

It included tons of partners with often no protection so actually it was pretty sure they did have something.

not only this.

you guys have no idea how often i in my younger dating life had a broken condom situation after insisting in using one. and to be honest, half of them i thought were really broken but i found out years later that certain guys have a repuation when it comes to that.

• Sad 1