Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
science

Use of HIV prevention pill, PrEP, rises 500%, report says

Featured Posts

Rainbow1

Use of a daily pill to prevent HIV infection rose almost 500% from 2014 to 2017, according to new research published Thursday by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. More than a third of people at risk of HIV infection are now protected with the medication, which is more than 90% effective, according to the CDC.

Almost all demographic groups reported increased use of the pill, called pre-exposure prophylaxis, or PrEP. But use remained low in black, Hispanic and Latino men who have sex with men. Those groups are at particular risk for HIV infection, according to the CDC, and accounted for about 40% of all HIV infections in 2017, the last year for which data is available.

Among men who have sex with men, 42% of white men reported using the drug, while just 26% of black men reported the same. Researchers noted that there are "structural barriers associated with race that influence access to high quality care" and recommended targeted efforts to increase PrEP use among minorities.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/07/11/health/prep-hiv-prevention-pill-study/index.html?utm_content=2019-07-12T03%3A28%3A00&utm_medium=social&utm_term=link&utm_source=fbCNN

• Like 7
  • YAAAS 4
  • Love 2
  • Shook 2
  • Thanks 1

LordEnigma

I'd probably be on it if I wasn't in a relationship 🤷🏻‍♂️ more prevention, the better.

• Like 6

adammonroe
1 minute ago, Alexander Levi said:

I'd probably be on it if I wasn't in a relationship 🤷🏻‍♂️ more prevention, the better.

Being on a relationship sadly is no excuse to never protect yourself. You never know if your partner is seeing someone else or got drunk and had sex with another person.

• Like 14
  • Sad 2

JFK
2 minutes ago, adammonroe said:

Being on a relationship sadly is no excuse to never protect yourself. You never know if your partner is seeing someone else or got drunk and had sex with another person.

Exacrly. My boyfriend told me he was on a date with  one guy year ago like a month ago. 

I got really scared. 

Unfortunately, prep is not available in my country. 

Edited by JFK
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

LordEnigma
3 minutes ago, adammonroe said:

I mean obviously. But then should people never get pregnant because there's a possibility their husband is sleeping around with other women so they should always use a condom cause there's a chance they could have an STD?

I get it - but I trust him enough.

Edited by Alexander Levi
  • Like 24
  • Love 2

Judas Society

In the country I live in, unfortunately those whom are on prep are usually those making it an excuse to engage in unsafe chem fun.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Biggest Fan
12 minutes ago, Alexander Levi said:

I mean obviously. But then should people never get pregnant because there's a possibility their husband is sleeping around with other women so they should always use a condom cause there's a chance they could have an STD?

I get it - but I trust him enough.

We just want you to be safe and prevent anything 

That’s doesn’t take away the love you both have. 

Didymus
18 minutes ago, adammonroe said:

Does anyone really wanna live in that paranoid a world though :toofunny: In the same breath you could say women should take it too because you never know their man is cheating on them with a man, unprotected, and he has HIV to transmit to you, and yes that actually does happen :flop:

It does depend on trust a little bit I think. Like, I would trust my own partner to tell me if he engaged in unsafe sex for my own safety. It would kind of break my heart if I had to doubt even that and constantly feel like a dead man walking.

• Like 8
  • LMAO 1

Adakam

And I hope noone uses prep as an excuse to not wear condoms

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

LordEnigma
7 minutes ago, Biggest Fan said:

We just want you to be safe and prevent anything 

That’s doesn’t take away the love you both have. 

Yes but is there a risk for HIV if we stay in a monogamous relationship? Then why don't we also tell this to women who have unprotected sex with their boyfriends/husband's? As their husbands could be having plenty of affairs.

Of course, I think it's best to stay safe for the first couple months/year of your relationship. But if my partner and I love and trust each other enough - then I'm not going to spend money on this pill. If he screws me over, it's not my fault and I'm not to be blamed 🤷🏻‍♂️

But I'm also not going to tell my boyfriend of many years "I'm going to go on prep cause you might get drunk one night and cheat on me and get HIV"

Edited by Alexander Levi
  • Like 8

JFK
5 minutes ago, Didymus said:

constantly feel like a dead man walking.

It's not life ending disease if treated though. 

Biggest Fan
1 minute ago, Alexander Levi said:

Yes but is there a risk for HIV if we stay in a monogamous relationship? Then why don't we also tell this to women who have unprotected sex with their boyfriends/husband's? As their husbands could be having plenty of affairs.

Of course, I think it's best to stay safe for the first couple months/year of your relationship. But if my partner and I love and trust each other enough - then I'm not going to spend money on this pill. If he screws me over, it's not my fault and I'm not to be blamed 🤷🏻‍♂️

But I'm also not going to tell my boyfriend of many years "I'm going to go on prep cause you might get drunk one night and cheat on me and get HIV"

:awkney:

— you would go on prep cause of you not the reason he’s gonna cheat on you. 

S0436

I worry some use this thinking a condom is not needed, a 10% risk is a 10% risk.

• Like 2
  • YAAAS 1

Didymus
2 minutes ago, Adakam said:

And I hope noone uses prep as an excuse to not wear condoms

90% effective though :emma:

I probably wouldn't wear a condom, ngl.  Condoms are only theoretically 98% effective but that rate drops significantly when you count wrong usages. If you think about it too hard you should almost be terrified of having sex at all. I don't think this paranoia is doing anything good for the world.

Better advice would be to just not wh-re around and stay away from people who have sex way too frequently to be trustworthy :rip: There's a difference between constantly looking for quick condomless Grindr hook-ups and meeting someone for real and discussing safety issues with them prior to having intercourse.

• Like 2

Rainbow1
Just now, Didymus said:

90% effective though :emma:

I probably wouldn't wear a condom, ngl.  Condoms are only theoretically 98% effective but that rate drops significantly when you count wrong usages. If you think about it too hard you should almost be terrified of having sex at all. I don't think this paranoia is doing anything good for the world.

Better advice would be to just not wh-re around and stay away from people who have sex way too frequently to be trustworthy :rip: There's a difference between constantly looking for quick condomless Grindr hook-ups and meeting someone for real and discussing safety issues with them prior to having intercourse.

There’s been multiple cases of ppl who got hiv while on prep

https://www.sfaf.org/collections/beta/sixth-case-of-rare-prep-failure-reported-heres-what-to-know/

• Like 3