Stefani Tee
science

Use of HIV prevention pill, PrEP, rises 500%, report says

Featured Posts

shoful
3 minutes ago, Didymus said:

But why assume I'm sleeping around :emma:

Anyway, still doesn't answer my question about selective hysteria. Most of the STDs you can catch are peanuts compared to the side effects of smoking, drinking or eating habits :shrug: I don't like to worry about one thing and then pretend everything's fine with something else that's actually a lot more damaging.

I wasn't talking about you specifically being homophobic too :hug: I just see it as a symptom of a general residue of hysteria surrounding gay sex in wider culture. It's great that you're offering sound advice to many people out there.

Sorry, I didn’t mean you specifically. I meant people in general or who I know.  I mean I don’t approve of smoking or eating like a glutton either so 😅 but I feel like it would be a lot ruder to tell someone to stop gaining weight than to wear something that is not only cheap but can protect you from several unnecessary health risks and bills! 

"My name is Dita, I'll be your Mistress tonight..."

HotLikeMexico
15 hours ago, Alexander Levi said:

Well @Biggest Fan (I know it's getting way off topic now) please tell me how to tell my serious long-term boyfriend who I have lived with that I need to go on prep.

Ignore them.  I was on PrEP. And even on it I still was safe. I got a lot of **** from people telling me I was stupid for wearing using a condom even tho I was on prep. But I did it for MYSELF to always be safe. 

Anyways, Fast forward I’m now in a relationship. I’ve been with my boyfriend for three, going on four, years now. And I stayed on prep for a year in our relationship. He wasn’t angry nor did he mind I was on it. I continued to go for my check ups and tests always came out negative. I was faithful the entire time. I never once in my relationship had doubts about him either and neither did he about me. 

A year in I sat him down and told him I didn’t want to be on prep anymore. I got tired of it. We had a deep conversation about it and he told me he supported my decision to stay or get off it. Ultimately I got off prep. And we agreed to get tested a few months after I get off it. And two tests (full screening) we both took were negative and were months apart. I did it for both our piece of mind  

I trust him and he trusts me and I haven’t been on Prep since. So you do you. If you really trust your boyfriend then it’s completely fine.

Edited by HotLikeMexico
  • Like 2

Alexander Levi
6 minutes ago, HotLikeMexico said:

Ignore them.  I was on PrEP. And even on it I still was safe. I got a lot of **** from people telling me I was stupid for wearing using a condom even tho I was on prep. But I did it for MYSELF to always be safe. 

Anyways, Fast forward I’m now in a relationship. I’ve been with my boyfriend for three years now. And I stayed on prep for a year in our relationship. He wasn’t angry nor did he mind I was on it. I continued to go for my check ups and tests always came out negative. I was faithful the entire time. I never once in my relationship had doubts about him either and neither did he about me. 

A year in I sat him down and told him I didn’t want to be on prep anymore. I got tired of it. We had a deep conversation about it and he told me he supported my decision to stay or get off it. Ultimately I got off prep. And we agreed to get tested a few months after we get off it. And two tests were negative and were months apart. I did it for both our piece of mind  

I trust him and he trusts me and I haven’t been on Prep since. So you do you. If you really trust your boyfriend then it’s completely fine.

Thanks for sharing that!

I know my boyfriend would be fine if I wanted to, for whaetever reason, go on prep. But it's not worth it and yes, there is always the possibility he could cheat on me... But you can't continuously live your life around the "what ifs." I'm not sure how much prep is but it's extra money I could be saving even if it is very little. If we someday decide to be in a more open relationship, prep seems like a good option.

I'm not saying no one should be on prep. If you are putting yourself in situations with multiple partners - then you should take every precaution to be safe and healthy.

Edited by Alexander Levi
  • Like 1

Biggest Fan
22 minutes ago, Alexander Levi said:

Well @Biggest Fan (I know it's getting way off topic now) please tell me how to tell my serious long-term boyfriend who I have lived with that I need to go on prep.

Well if you guys are married/living together as a couple than that’s your decision how you have sex. (

I respect that; I am just paranoid of couples that don’t have much of a morals to stay w one person

I personally would take it if I was being in a relationship with a “boyfriend” not yet married or living together as a couple 😅

but yeah I get your point thanks for sharing your opinion!

mwjuell91
14 hours ago, Judas Society said:

In the country I live in, unfortunately those whom are on prep are usually those making it an excuse to engage in unsafe chem fun.

Or maybe they would do that anyway, and now they are protecting themselves and their partners against HIV

Edited by mwjuell91
  • Like 1

Marges

This threads are always so interesting. Thank you guys for clarifying this with all the positive and negative aspects. 

JFK
1 hour ago, Didymus said:

It's more about the feeling of being constantly under threat and it's a feeling a lot of PrEP skeptics like to force on all gay men, I find it very unhealthy and demotivating tbh :smh:

A better starting point is just to acknowledge that a lot of people prefer condomless sex. I do. Does that mean I'm instantly going to go to bareback parties? Hell no. But there's not only the two options of (a) being terrified 24/7 that you're gonna catch HIV; (b) be a slut who's too dumb to take care of himself :laughga:

Like it or not, but PrEP is a great way for people like me to consider the possibility of having condomless sex with people they feel like they can trust. That's not as dumb as many people would like me to believe. Do you know how many STDs you can catch from giving a blowjob without a condom? :emma: Do you know that official medical advice always suggests practicing oral sex with a condom? Who does that? Nobody. So this hysteria around PrEP is a little unfair. No one practices what they preach.

Sis, I'm aware of it all.

I remember when you weren't sexually active and we couldn't have such convos  :laughga:

• Like 1

Didymus
33 minutes ago, JFK said:

Sis, I'm aware of it all.

I remember when you weren't sexually active and we couldn't have such convos  :laughga:

Well now I'm all grown up

source.gif

• LMAO 1

Melech
1 hour ago, shoful said:

There are also 1000 other stds that Prep doesn’t protect against. So keep it wrapped :vegas:

Statistically speaking every sexual active person gets two STD in their life and almost all of them are healable. And there is also no shame in getting one.

So why bother taking condoms when on Prep when the sex is way better then? 

• Like 1

AHippieIsBorn

I've been on prep since 2014/2015, minus a month or so here and there. I've never been great about using condoms, mainly because I truly despise using them and it ruins sex for me. I've had minor STIs but nothing a pill or shot couldn't fix. I've been considering going off prep actually as I'm reconsidering my sex life and choices, and long term no pill you take everyday can be good for your liver. But otherwise I think it's great. With my insurance it's $10 for 3 months but the manufacturer also gave me a coupon so I get it for free. 

When I first started taking it, I would get lightheaded or somewhat dizzy maybe an hour after taking it but after a few weeks this went away and I never experienced that again. No other side effects. 

Lastly, I bet 80% of the peeps in here don't use condoms 100% of the time. It's actually proven that most people don't. But alas, call us c*m wh*res :reductive:

• Like 1

DutchHooker
3 hours ago, Didymus said:

Better advice would be to just not wh-re around and stay away from people who have sex way too frequently to be trustworthy :rip: There's a difference between constantly looking for quick condomless Grindr hook-ups and meeting someone for real and discussing safety issues with them prior to having intercourse.

I feel personally attacked :bradley: (I always use condom tho but still)

We need DarkGa with Bops so we can rule the industry again and learn the other popgirls how to snatch 'em wigs to ultimate baldness!!
  • LMAO 1

JFK
2 hours ago, Didymus said:

Well now I'm all grown up

source.gif

I'm still waiting for the time we'll meet. You're one of the people I need to meet before I die lol.

• Love 1

Henri Bardot

As soon as I turn 18 I will get on prep. 

I know there's still a risk, but why not reduce it? 

Even in a relationship, I don't trust anyone, especially with the HIV rate in the gay world. You never know. 

boys don't cry
  • Like 1

Mythos

I'm on PreP for almost a year, and it changed my sexual life completely. Also i don't use condoms, cause i hate them, and sex is so much better without it. But that's just me, if you feel better with condoms, then use them. 

Schizophonic
5 hours ago, shoful said:

There are also 1000 other stds that Prep doesn’t protect against. So keep it wrapped :vegas:

yes but you can catch most of them while using a condom as well. thats something people dont talk about. you can actually even catch some of them though a wet towel or clothes.

playing safe all the time wont you protect from anything.

getting tested every few months (no matter if relationship, prep or not, using condoms or not) is the most important rule in having a sexlife with anyone.

3 hours ago, Melech said:

Statistically speaking every sexual active person gets two STD in their life and almost all of them are healable. And there is also no shame in getting one.

So why bother taking condoms when on Prep when the sex is way better then? 

a std is no the end of the world. period. IF you get tested every few months, you know about it and get a treatment and you dont share is around.

99% of all stds come from people who are sure they dont have anything and life with it and share it all over the world without knowing. "i am always careful" or "i have very few random sexpartners" is the most dangerous thing if you see that for a reason to not even get tested every few months.

until a few weeks ago i worked in a cruising bar with a big darkroom here in berlin for almost 2 years every night. i have seen a lot, i know what i am talking about.

its not like someone choses. things actually happen.

and sorry guys, most of you are very young and innocent. thats a ig dangous risk. you newer know what the peroson did.