Stefani Tee
science

Use of HIV prevention pill, PrEP, rises 500%, report says

Featured Posts

Didymus
3 minutes ago, JFK said:

It's not life ending disease if treated though. 

It's more about the feeling of being constantly under threat and it's a feeling a lot of PrEP skeptics like to force on all gay men, I find it very unhealthy and demotivating tbh :smh:

A better starting point is just to acknowledge that a lot of people prefer condomless sex. I do. Does that mean I'm instantly going to go to bareback parties? Hell no. But there's not only the two options of (a) being terrified 24/7 that you're gonna catch HIV; (b) be a slut who's too dumb to take care of himself :laughga:

Like it or not, but PrEP is a great way for people like me to consider the possibility of having condomless sex with people they feel like they can trust. That's not as dumb as many people would like me to believe. Do you know how many STDs you can catch from giving a blowjob without a condom? :emma: Do you know that official medical advice always suggests practicing oral sex with a condom? Who does that? Nobody. So this hysteria around PrEP is a little unfair. No one practices what they preach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reginald

This is excellent news. Always wear a condom, though, unless you and your partner know for sure, from your doctors, your status with other STDs.

Edited by Reginald
Dedicated

Didymus
2 minutes ago, Rainbow1 said:

I'm aware of that... That's part of the 10% risk, just like some men got HIV even though they were using a condom :emma:

Those rare cases imo don't outweigh the vast majority of it not happening though. Like I said above, condoms only have around a 95% effectiveness rate as well. According to a lot of people's logic surrounding this PrEP issue, condoms should then also be treated with the utmost skepticism, yet no one seems to talk about that at all, 'cause it's so normal and people rarely encounter problems with it :shrug:

It'll be the same with PrEP in a few years. The more people use it, the more people will notice that out of a huge majority of people doing fine with it, there's only a very unalarming minority who represents that 10% risk (which is not the same as 10% of all people using it catching HIV btw). And then we'll find something else to be hysterical about, I'm sure.

HitTheBoat

Those that do use PrEP here on GGD and are comfortable with talking about it, did you experience any side effects (if any at all)?

• Like 1

Rainbow1
1 minute ago, HitTheBoat said:

Those that do use PrEP here on GGD and are comfortable with talking about it, did you experience any side effects (if any at all)?

I stream ARTPOP once a week

• LMAO 7

Alexander Levi
11 minutes ago, Biggest Fan said:

:awkney:

— you would go on prep cause of you not the reason he’s gonna cheat on you. 

Why would I need to go on prep in a monogamous relationship? People here are telling me I should take precaution cause I might contract something if my boyfriend cheats on me. So yes, if I got HIV from him it would be his fault.

• Like 3
  • Shook 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

RAMROD

Well, good for them. It is better to have fun responsibly.

Not for me though. Not in that lifestyle anymore.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ ♥ We ♥ Are ♥ Not ♥ Your ♥ Kind ♥

shoful
22 minutes ago, Didymus said:

90% effective though :emma:

I probably wouldn't wear a condom, ngl.  Condoms are only theoretically 98% effective but that rate drops significantly when you count wrong usages. If you think about it too hard you should almost be terrified of having sex at all. I don't think this paranoia is doing anything good for the world.

Better advice would be to just not wh-re around and stay away from people who have sex way too frequently to be trustworthy :rip: There's a difference between constantly looking for quick condomless Grindr hook-ups and meeting someone for real and discussing safety issues with them prior to having intercourse.

There are also 1000 other stds that Prep doesn’t protect against. So keep it wrapped :vegas:

"My name is Dita, I'll be your Mistress tonight..."
  • Like 4

shoful
12 minutes ago, Alexander Levi said:

Why would I need to go on prep in a monogamous relationship? People here are telling me I should take precaution cause I might contract something if my boyfriend cheats on me. So yes, if I got HIV from him it would be his fault.

For your own sanity please stop responding to this troll making people paranoid about a relationship. Its absolutely ridiculous to not trust your partner unless there are actual reasons to not.

Moral of the story: People in a monogamous relationship do not need to take prep, if you cannot trust each other and care for each other then why are you in the relationship. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Didymus
Just now, shoful said:

There are also 1000 other stds that Prep doesn’t protect against. So keep it wrapped :vegas:

But why all this extra scrutiny? :toofunny: I never got it. No one's running around criticizing people for drinking a glass of wine. It's scientifically proven for years now. Every single consumption of alcohol increases the risk of cancer. Even eating processed meat can cause cancer, why aren't we telling people to skip all that then?

I don't like this selective hysteria. It feels homophobic ngl.

shoful
Just now, Didymus said:

But why all this extra scrutiny? :toofunny: I never got it. No one's running around criticizing people for drinking a glass of wine. It's scientifically proven for years now. Every single consumption of alcohol increases the risk of cancer. Even eating processed meat can cause cancer, why aren't we telling people to skip all that then?

I don't like this selective hysteria. It feels homophobic ngl.

Lol I tell all my straight friends to wear a condom too... 

and its not homophobic. There is actual data that says its easier to contract things from ****. I mean Im not gonna intervene into anyones life but I dont approve of anyone (either straight or gay) who sleeps around and doesn’t use the most efficient protection against all stds which is a condom. 

• Like 1

Alexander Levi
2 minutes ago, shoful said:

For your own sanity please stop responding to this troll making people paranoid about a relationship. Its absolutely ridiculous to not trust your partner unless there are actual reasons to not.

Moral of the story: People in a monogamous relationship do not need to take prep, if you cannot trust each other and care for each other then why are you in the relationship. 

Definitely. I would also like to ask these people how they would feel if their partner told them they wanted to go on prep just in case you happened to cheat on them. :spin:

• Like 1

Didymus
Just now, shoful said:

Lol I tell all my straight friends to wear a condom too... 

and its not homophobic. There is actual data that says its easier to contract things from ****. I mean Im not gonna intervene into anyones life but I dont approve of anyone (either straight or gay) who sleeps around and doesn’t use the most efficient protection against all stds which is a condom. 

But why assume I'm sleeping around :emma:

Anyway, still doesn't answer my question about selective hysteria. Most of the STDs you can catch are peanuts compared to the side effects of smoking, drinking or eating habits :shrug: I don't like to worry about one thing and then pretend everything's fine with something else that's actually a lot more damaging.

I wasn't talking about you specifically being homophobic too :hug: I just see it as a symptom of a general residue of hysteria surrounding gay sex in wider culture. It's great that you're offering sound advice to many people out there.

• Like 1

Alexander Levi

Well @Biggest Fan (I know it's getting way off topic now) please tell me how to tell my serious long-term boyfriend who I have lived with that I need to go on prep.

NibbCub

I know someone who contracted HIV through unsafe sex outside their relationship. Their partner is still negative because they insisted on using condoms. I don't think you have to go on prep while in a relationship but please protect yourself at least with a condom.

• Like 1