Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
politics

Religious Wear Ban In Quebec Under Fire At Canadian Premiers Meeting

Featured Posts

Karl
1 hour ago, Economy said:

How is it encouraging it? are people somehow going to convert religions or start becoming religious because someone else is wearing a cross?

It's not harming anyone so why can't they wear what they want?

Meh, I view religion the same as someone being in a cult or thinking Santa is real so I guess allowing all kinds of religion expression makes it seem normal when I feel it should be discouraged. I appreciate I have a vastly different opinion than most though :laughga:

Gov Hooka

Can certain users just realize that it's the conservative Islamophobes of Quebec who want this law passed? It's subtle discrimination... Wearing a cross doesn't carry the same meaning as wearing a hijab or Sikh turban and this law disproportionately will affect non-white citizens of Quebec... 

47 minutes ago, Florian said:

I really don't get why people are offended about that law.

Many companies doesn't allow employees to wear shorts, caps, sunglasses, ripped jeans, ... And nobody care. I don't get why people are acting differently when it comes to religion.

If your company wants neutrality when it comes to this then be it. And especially when you're a representative of the State I don't find it shocking if they're enforced to neutrality on their shifts :shrug:

1 hour ago, Karl said:

Low key here for this, cult worshipping shouldn't be something that's encouraged, in your own home and stuff fine but you don't need your cross at work. 

Gov Hooka
6 minutes ago, Karl said:

Meh, I view religion the same as someone being in a cult or thinking Santa is real so I guess allowing all kinds of religion expression makes it seem normal when I feel it should be discouraged. I appreciate I have a vastly different opinion than most though :laughga:

As someone who despises religion, you have a very simplistic view... :awkney: 

Karl
Just now, Gov Hooka said:

As someone who despises religion, you have a very simplistic view... :awkney: 

I probably do, but for me life would be simpler without religion 😂 The only exception I understand the frustration for is Sikhs, from my understanding the turban is specifically part of their religion. I don't believe that in Islam a hijab is said to be specifically worn in the holy book but I may be wrong. In any case, I hope for the day when religion is viewed as what it is which is collective insanity.

Gov Hooka
Just now, Karl said:

I probably do, but for me life would be simpler without religion 😂 The only exception I understand the frustration for is Sikhs, from my understanding the turban is specifically part of their religion. I don't believe that in Islam a hijab is said to be specifically worn in the holy book but I may be wrong. In any case, I hope for the day when religion is viewed as what it is which is collective insanity.

It absolutely is, and that's why this law doesn't make sense in a country that has a major political party led by a Sikh. But collective insanity will manifest itself in many other ways besides religion :lolga:  

• Thanks 1

Edonis
21 minutes ago, Karl said:

:diane:

OT: It's a stupid backwards law that is literally barring religious people from working public positions. Sikhs and Muslims and Jews and other religious minorities aren't allowed to teach in some public schools because of this law. It's incredibly damaging and hurtful to not only their freedom of expression but their personal and professional livelihoods!

Let's not forget the ministry of educations disrespectful comment about Malala.

Quebec is something else...

Edited by Edonis

Karl
7 minutes ago, Gov Hooka said:

It absolutely is, and that's why this law doesn't make sense in a country that has a major political party led by a Sikh. But collective insanity will manifest itself in many other ways besides religion :lolga:  

True, I hate the reason the law is passing and I'm all for freedom of expression but I also hate religion and would rather it be outlawed so I'm conflicted

Oshawott

I don't really get this sort of thing tbh. I mean, I can kind of understand banning the burqa or niqab in certain places since face covering might constitute a security risk, but I don't see how religious symbols in general are seen as problematic. 

Also kii @ at that person who actually wants to outlaw religion.  :selena:

Edited by Oshawott
  • Like 1

Economy
42 minutes ago, Gov Hooka said:

That leader of the NDP is from my city (Brampton) and Indians, Pakistani and other middle Eastern Nations make up the majority of the population here

Muslims, Sikhs and other brown people (excuse the term brown ppl but I'm generalizing the entire Middle East + India)... They are the best citizens u can ask for!

They have the least problematic and most respectful kids in school, they take their studies seriously and rarely get involved in serious crimes

The whites and blacks in my city are usually the ones to make the news in murders even tho middle Eastern and Indians make up over half the population

They are great and their religion largely influenced their values

This hate towards Muslims and Shiks... Ppl should realize how much good can also come from these beliefs not just the bad

I love Indian and Middle Eastern ppl in this city more than any other cultures tbh and I can say that dealing with them EVERY DAY!

The media paints them as terrorrists when 99% of them have no desire for extremist actions on society and are just trying to live out their lives. And they do so in an exemplary way!

45 minutes ago, Karl said:

56 minutes ago, Karl said:

Edited by Economy