Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
society

Detroit Music Festival Charges White People Double

Featured Posts

Morphine Prince
3 minutes ago, Oriane said:

Are they laws or any actual systems still in place in the US that still enforce this ? I would be interested to know some examples if you have any.

The thing is, most of the effects are still felt from the past. Which is why people who are trying to make progress always must bring up the past. Because even if legislatively we have moved past pre-Civil Rights era, some things are still felt.

A good example is the lack of proper funding for education and health care for areas which are usually composed of largely minority groups. The argument is these areas are POOR and get less funding. Now, the question becomes why are they largely poor AND composed of minorities? You’d have to take a look at the history of real estate discrimination where they’d only sell homes to whites in some areas and only to blacks in others. The black areas lacked funding and the cycle of poverty began.

So it’s quite complex. I’m sure there are so many things you can examine and find similar effects. It’s so ingrained in the society many people don’t question it. 

The friends I've had to bury, they keep me up at night
  • Like 7

Oriane
1 minute ago, Morphine Prince said:

The thing is, most of the effects are still felt from the past. Which is why people who are trying to make progress always must bring up the past. Because even if legislatively we have moved past pre-Civil Rights era, some things are still felt.

A good example is the lack of proper funding for education and health care for areas which are usually composed of largely minority groups. The argument is these areas are POOR and get less funding. Now, the question becomes why are they largely poor AND composed of minorities? You’d have to take a look at the history of real estate discrimination where they’d only sell homes to whites in some areas and only to blacks in others. The black areas lacked funding and the cycle of poverty began.

So it’s quite complex. I’m sure there are so many things you can examine and find similar effects. It’s so ingrained in the society many people don’t question it. 

Yes, I think this kind of thing exists everywhere, whether it's based on race or just wealth in general, cities and places always seem to be divided into these different areas. The sad part is that they also keep it that way instead of trying to merge or bring people in the areas they usually don't belong. Where I live for example, they keep most social housing in the poor area, I guess it's the same in a lot of places. And I guess the people themselves don't try to change it, when you grow up in an environment you become used to it.

And obviously it's going to stay poor if they're not funding it :saladga:

You popped my heart seems... All my bubble dreams, bubble dreams...

Lona Delery

they dont realize **** like this only divides us even more and does not help fighting racism at all huh

Sometimes it feels like I've got a war in my mind, I wanna get off but I keep riding the ride
  • LMAO 1
  • Thanks 1

Woolfsmck

This goes against everything MLK fought with his life to achieve.

like a cat in a sil, I observe life, moving and still. My words give a clue,look inside to see whats true
  • Like 1

Phlop

I hope non pocs don’t attend this. Racist and prejudice 

BYE

Craven Moorecox
42 minutes ago, Wigless said:

We weren’t arguing importance, we were arguing how morality. That’s something you just brought up. And ma what? A sociology scholar just tried to argue (and flopped) that systemic racism is something else—not saying words and offending people 💀 

If me arguing the reality of the situation is offensive, then oh well. Life is offensive, life is hard and life is suffering. Literally one of the oldest concepts to ever exist...

You want call prejudice discrimination racism bc you lack the context of the convo, and meaning of the word racism, and seemingly the connection to converge the two. 

Baby, I said they both were offensive. I never argue against that. When I gave a definition and reasoning why  prejudice and racism are not the same thing, you said I was distinguishing between evils. They are not same and you can incorrectly label things racism when they’re not. When I said levels of importance, I meant by weight that these words carry. Racism is heavier than racial prejudice due, that’s not even debatable. I never converge the two words. Maybe I should’ve rephrased my last statement that racial prejudice, which lead to discrimination does not equal racism. No need in replying back because you’re just gonna miss my point and put words in my mouth. And if I’m a clown, you’re the grand jester to Nicki Minaj based on half the stuff you said and you’re inability to read what someone has wrote. Stop trying to manipulating others word for a whole different argument that is different from the statement they said 

• YAAAS 1

ZwRaven
3 hours ago, PhillipBagshaw said:

There is a difference between a written definition and working definition of racism. And yes, when a white person speaks down on a black person because of their race that has heavier implications due to historical events and contexts. If a black person said something against a white person regarding their race, it does not hold as much weight with their words because of what has happened in the past of our country and white people always being in power. 

At the end of the day you have your opinion on racism and I have mine, but just know that I work in sociology and have a deeper understanding than others and going around and around calling different definitions flawed won't get you anywhere. 

I don't care what your classifications are, and I'm not responsible for the behaviors of my ancestors just as you are not responsible for yours. I treat people equally with kindness and to quote MLK "by the content of their character". Do you think he would like what they are doing in Detroit? Let me give you the answer. No he wouldn't. If academia is teaching that any form of hate is ok, then there is something seriously wrong w our higher education system. How are we to even have a dialogue to make things better if this is considered OK by anyone?

PhillipBagshaw
17 minutes ago, ZwRaven said:

I don't care what your classifications are, and I'm not responsible for the behaviors of my ancestors just as you are not responsible for yours. I treat people equally with kindness and to quote MLK "by the content of their character". Do you think he would like what they are doing in Detroit? Let me give you the answer. No he wouldn't. If academia is teaching that any form of hate is ok, then there is something seriously wrong w our higher education system. How are we to even have a dialogue to make things better if this is considered OK by anyone?

1: Doesn't matter what MLK would like, not everybody has to go by what he would want.

2: No, they are not teaching that hate is okay. You're putting words in my mouth. Never ONCE did I say what the event organizers were doing was okay. I just said there is a difference between prejudice and racism. 

3: While you are not responsible for what your ancestors did, everyone is responsible for trying to fix the lasting effects of what they did. 

• LMAO 1
  • Love 1

Young Pancake

Lmao I can’t at some of you not knowing the difference between racism and prejudice. Some of you are still in middle school and it shows :reductive:

Edited by Young Pancake
  • LMAO 3

Guillaume Hamon
3 hours ago, Wigless said:

Secondly, you can still be racist even without power

Indeed it means the belief of a superiority of a race on an other, whatever the race.

It's just some activists who wanted to change the meaning of the world to make it only about actions of the ones with power acting against others so the heaviness of the world would only serve to make people react to these cases.

It's an activist trick basically but there were terms to qualify the societal difference between these forms of racism to not have it all placed in the same box when it's not all the same.

• Like 1

TheQueenLG

Racism is racism, no matter the race of the perpetrator. Systemic or institutionalized racism is something that almost solely affects POC. Prejudice plays no meaningful role in the discussion of one’s views of racial superiority, in my opinion. 

@Morphine PrinceI respect and enjoy your commentary... Do you agree?

• Like 1
  • Love 1