💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Looking Back: DWUW and R.Kelly

TheRealJT

Featured Posts

TheRealJT

It’s been a few months since Gaga deleted the R.Kelly version of Do What U Want. 

And I think deleting the song was kind of a mistake. Even though it was a bad moment of Gaga’s career, it was still part of her career. Like if Redone ended up doing something terrible, would she delete all the songs he produced with her? 

I’m happy we still have the Christina Aguilera version. She should put it on ARTPOP, listening to the album feels empty without that song. Luckily, I have the physical CD so the R.Kelly version lives on for me. 

What do you guys think? Is it important to separate the art from the artist, or did Gaga do the right thing. (Also thank god she never released that music video) 

SharkmanthaC

It's impossible to separate the artist from the art. Part of the reason a lot of all like Gaga is because of who she is as a person, not just because she makes incredible music. While I like DWUW, I think Gaga made the right call doing what she did.  Honestly she probably should have never worked with him, but that's another story and it can't be changed now. I do think she tried to see the good in him and maybe thought he had changed his ways. With everything that came out about Kelly, she had no choice but to pull the song. How could she stand by women (and men) that are victims of sexual assault and continue to make money off a song she made with a perpetrator.  As she has said in interviews before, always believe the victim, false claims are so rare. She cannot make this statement and then stand with someone who committed the crimes. 

I do wish she'd release the solo version, but he has credits on that one too, I believe.

she/her/hers

I TOTALLY get this, and I'm more on your side than anything else, others will disagree and that's fine, but I'm just gonna say that it's ok to miss the DWUW version with R. Kelly, I personally found it more relaxing than Christina's version which I don't really like that much admittedly :laughga:

But the solo version is definitely the best one out of the three, I can't get the second verse out of my head :firega: 

So I think she should put the solo version on the ARTPOP album instead, but either way, having ANY version of DWUW back on the album would be great :pawsup:

At the time she knew well about the accusations and still recorded a song with him AND decided to film a music video mocking them. So yeah, she did the right thing.

gumzy3000

Maybe if she wasn't planning a music video where he touches her in a creepy way than it wouldn't have been an issue. The media attacked her not only because of the song but the speculation and rumours of the video went on for years and this was bad for her image and also on a moral level. I think if the song was left alone then maybe it would have stayed on Spotify and iTunes. I hate to say it but I think it's one of her greatest songs :triggered:

trolly troll troll

LaLa

I think she definitely did the right thing. It's clear from her statement she regrets working with him and connects that poor decision making to her own sexual assault trauma. She's done a lot of work on herself since then, as well as with survivors, and it only makes sense that she would remove the song if she no longer stands behind it.

I still listen to the solo version and enjoy it, but no one is making a profit off that so I feel no guilt. 

TheRealJT
5 minutes ago, Bio said:

At the time she knew well about the accusations and still recorded a song with him AND decided filming a music video mocking them. So yeah, she did the right thing.

I don’t think we can fully blame her for the video. I feel like Troy forced her to. And when she refused to let it be released, he ditched her. It would of been a top 10 hit with the video. But that’s only short term success, it would of destroyed her legacy for sure. Cheek to Cheek and ASIB would not exist. 

1 minute ago, Vroom Vroom said:

I don’t think we can fully blame her for the video. I feel like Troy forced her to. And when she refused to let it be released, he ditched her. It would of been a top 10 hit with the video. But that’s only short term success, it would of destroyed her legacy for sure. Cheek to Cheek and ASIB would not exist. 

We can't know for sure but I don't believe that. R Kelly was Blair's friend from Chicago, he was the one who put them in touch. And Gaga defended him saying the media invented **** about him.

TheRealJT
6 minutes ago, Bio said:

We can't know for sure but I don't believe that. R Kelly was Blair's friend from Chicago, he was the one who put them in touch. And Gaga defended him saying the media invented **** about him.

I’m talking about the video. 

The song, yes. I feel like she had total control choosing him to be on it. 

The overly explicit video of him touching her seems too far, like she was forced into it. But then again, her snl performance was very physical. So maybe it was her. 

I 100% believe that Gaga not wanting to release the video was why Troy left her though. 

Judas Society

I love the song. It's one of her best songs and her voice was crystal clear in it. It's one of her strongest vocal performance in a song. I've always wanted her to do something R&B-ish. And that song proved she can do that genre.

But that being said, it's the right thing for her to do. A pop star is not usually just selling songs and music. They are selling their image and who they are (or who they want the public to think they are). Gaga's an artist, but she's also a pop star. So there is no way that collaboration can co-exist in her career and it will be the thing that the masses will continue to use to shut her up whenever she talks about sexual assault survivors.

Haralampos

I don't know, rumors about him was long before the song. Also I don't like an artist delete his past work in general. But at the other side I can't blame her for that. At least she could just replace the song with the solo version that was finished before the album release and was on many cd compilation already and keep the Aguilera remix as what it is, a remix with Aguilera that came after the album release.

TheRealJT
1 minute ago, Harry X said:

I don't know, rumors about him was long before the song. Also I don't like an artist delete his past work in general. But at the other side I can't blame her for that. At least she could just replace the song with the solo version that was finished before the album release and was on many cd compilation already and keep the Aguilera remix as what it is, a remix with Aguilera after that came after the album release.

I was thinking about the solo version. I think the reason she didn’t replace it was because it would of been considered a “new” release and would of looked like she was trying to make money off of the controversy. Like “I’m getting rid of this version, but please buy and support this new version replacing it” 

I love the solo version. But I can settle for Christinas. Not like we really have a choice. 

RemovedPerRequest1

I miss it too. :messga:

I still play the cd, Just turn the volume down when R. Kelly's voice comes on. Also, I stopped singing his verse, but still enjoy the original.:kiss:

42 minutes ago, gumzy3000 said:

I hate to say it but I think it's one of her greatest songs :triggered:

No hate from us, it's still a great song :pawsup:

• Admin changed the title to Looking Back: DWUW and R.Kelly

Archived